AP vs CLEP credit for Spanish

<p>My DS is a incoming freshman. I am trying to figure out his transfer credits. Since he has taken 12 years of Spanish, I read somewhere that he will get more transfer credit if he takes the CLEP (14 credits) vs the AP exam. Does anyone have any experience with this? </p>

<p>This is true. also, the CLEP test is easier than the AP exam.</p>

<p>Spanish, Level 1 and Level 2
Score of 48-51 SP 101 and SP 102* 8 FL/HU
Score of 52-55 SP 201 11 –
Score of 56-80 SP 202 14 –</p>

<p>Yes, my son had experience with this. What would you like to know specifically? You get UP TO 14 credits (not necessarily a total of 14), depending on your CLEP score. My S had only 3 years of HS Spanish and scored well enough to receive all 14 credits. The credits from AP exams vary depending on your score also. See here (click on top tabs to see AP vs CLEP): <a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/&lt;/a&gt; . Since your son is a HS senior right now, have him take the CLEP as soon as possible (while info still in his head). The cost of the exam used to be ~$100, and you receive your score/results immediately. You can have the official results sent directly to UA at the time of the test (included in the test fee). The CLEP is heavily reliant on your auditory skills - there is no speaking portion - only listening. My S said it was a difficult test because on the listening portion you can’t rewind the tape or re-read the info - you only listen to the passage, and all of the multiple choice questions and answers are also read aloud to you from a tape. It was a lot to keep up in his head, he said, while he was taking the test. UA gives slightly different credits for CLEP vs AP - CLEP gives you credit for 101, 102+ whereas AP gives credit for 103+. That seems to be the only major diff between taking AP vs CLEP. That, and the fact that the tests themselves will be very different (i.e., speaking vs no speaking). My son did not take AP test for Spanish, however, so perhaps someone else can weigh in on that exam.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! I am trying to encourage him to minor in Spanish because if he does well on the CLEP he will be so close to a minor. Isn’t that 18 credits? When I called the testing department at Alabama I was told he should also do the online Spanish placement test as he could place higher if he decides to take Spanish. Do you agree with that? I really appreciate your help.</p>

<p>Placement is different to receiving credit for something. Make sure that he isn’t placed so highly from the start that he runs out of classes to take to get those 18 credits… ;)</p>

<p>That is a great point and something I never considered! I am sure you can tell this is my oldest child so I am a bit overwhelmed trying to get a handle on everything. He attends Bama Bound May 29-30th. I am sure I will be posting many questions prior to that. He is in the Honor College and also in the CBH program. I know you are a wealth of good and helpful information and I appreciate your advice!</p>

<p>My son’s a Spanish minor. The 14 credits that the CLEP would provide credit for cover the 100 and 200 level courses. The Spanish minor requires 15 hours of credit in addition to those 14 credit introductory courses. So, even with full CLEP credit, there would still be 5 required courses - a grammar course, a conversation course, a culture course, and 2 other 300-400 level electives of the students choice.</p>

<p>From: <a href=“Spanish Program – University of Alabama College of Arts & Sciences”>Spanish Program – University of Alabama College of Arts & Sciences;

<p>The SPANISH MINOR has emerged over the last few years as one of the most enticing options for students in business, criminal justice, political science and many other areas of study. To complete this minor students must take 15 hours on the 300-400 level where there are three required courses: SP 353 (Conversation), SP 356 (Grammar and Composition), and SP 364 or SP 366 (Civilization). The remaining six hours must come from courses on the 300-400 level. Students in business have found that the Spanish business courses (Commercial, Technical Writing, Economics, Politics, and Media) enhance their marketability significantly.</p>

<p>Requirements for the minor in Spanish. The Spanish minor requires 15 semester hours in courses numbered 300 or above, including SP 353, SP 356, and SP 364 or SP 366. A minimum of 6 hours at the 300 or 400 level must be earned on this campus.</p>

<p>SPANISH MINOR
15 HOURS on 300 or 400 LEVEL

1. SP 353 CONVERSATION
  2. SP 356 GRAM. & COMP.
  3. SP 364 or 366 Civiliz. (Penin./LA)
  4. SP 300-400 ELECTIVE
  5. SP 300-400 ELECTIVE</p>

<p><<<
Thank you so much! I am trying to encourage him to minor in Spanish because if he does well on the CLEP he will be so close to a minor. Isn’t that 18 credits?
<<<</p>

<p>No…those 14 CLEP credits really do nothing for the Spanish minor.<br>
spanish is unique because it requires the classes to be in the upper division level.</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>I’d highly recommend taking CLEP instead of AP as he has the potential of getting more credits, gets those credits without having to take another language class, and will get his score instantly. Do note that not all colleges accept CLEP credit in the event he wanted to transfer from UA. The same is also the case with AP exam credit, but to a different degree. </p>

<p>There are likely several locations in your area which offer CLEP exams. Call around and see which ones have open testing times very soon. Taking CLEP early may mean that he can get a partial refund for the AP exam fees. Note that many CLEP testing centers are located on military bases; civilians are often allowed to take CLEP exams on military bases.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the very helpful information. </p>

<p>One option – the UA in Spain summer program offers the opportunity to earn up to 12 credits towards a major or minor, 6 credits each of 2 four-week sessions. Completion through SP 202 is required prior to entering the program, which can be earned with a 5 on the AP test or a CLEP score of 56 or higher. After completing the 8-week program a student would only need one class for a minor.
<a href=“http://uainspain.com/the-program/academic-program/”>http://uainspain.com/the-program/academic-program/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>That sounds like a great option. I will pass this information on to my son. Thank you!</p>

<p>What is your son’s major? My son took the medical spanish and the business spanish classes to help with fluency. </p>

<p>He is undecided engineering but is considering switching to electrical engineering/physics program. He is in the process of getting information about doing that. He is also in the CBHP. He spoke to a current CBHP student over the interview weekend and is very interested in doing that dual major. Do you know anything about that? Now that he has a dorm room, his next task is getting his major sorted out.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the requirements for a Spanish major? My DD met with a UA Spanish advisor and he made it seem like she could easily double major with her level of Spanish. </p>

<p>Requirements for Spanish major:</p>

<p>SP 353 Conversation
SP 356 Grammar & Composition
SP 364/366 Civilization (Peninsular or Latin American)
SP 491 Cervantes and Don Quijote
SP 400 ELECTIVE (in addition to SP 491)
SP 300-400 ELECTIVE
SP 300-400 ELECTIVE
and
ANY TWO of the SURVEY Courses
SP 371 Survey of Span. Peninsular Lit. Pt I
SP 372 Survey of Span. Peninsular Lit. Pt II
SP 375 Survey of LA Lit. Pt. I
SP 376 Survey of LA Lit. Pt. II</p>

<p>It’s 4 classes in addition to the requirements of the minor. How difficult it is to complete depends on your other major. My son started in a 300 level Spanish course his first semester and the instructor encouraged him to consider a double major, but for my S, as an engineering major it’s next to impossible to squeeze 4 more courses into his schedule.</p>