apartments

<p>I am about to start my freshman year. I heard that people try to get apartments or houses in august and september, but how will I know who I want to live with that early? Do upperclassmen live in dorms too?</p>

<p>Most freshmen will live in Res Halls or a private dorm their first year. Res Halls will have at least 50% freshmen in every dorm open to them, and often many more. Not as many returning students will choose the dorm, mainly sophomores of those. Do not worry about that at all. Returning dorm students get to choose their room for the next year- you may notice the best rooms are occupied by them, leaving the least desirable in any dorm to new students.</p>

<p>In fall- say November- the listings for the next year will become available. It is NOT recommended to sign a lease that early (per UW website in the past) since you will barely know people. Most apartments will still be available in January- February even for larger groups (eg 4 bedroom) and the most coveted. </p>

<p>Spend your first months getting to know campus and college life. Those first friends you meet in the dorm may or may not be friends forever. You will also meet people in your classes who will have more in common with you. I would wait until you return from winter break to figure out your next year’s living situation.</p>

<p>With all the new apt construction near campus the market is in your favor. Unless you have the $$$ and want the newest and best the selection of older units is large and there are deals. </p>

<p>A current UW parent here – the conversation during freshman year about sophomore housing began around October for my now-junior. He held off a little, agreeing on a group of roommates in January and signing a lease. He did find that, 9 months later, by the time the fall of sophomore year came around, he had a different set of friends so his apartment became the place he slept and nothing more. I would have preferred that he wait until later in spring when his friend group had evolved some more. You can see on the FB housing groups all kinds of students trying to find people to take over their leases because their housing plans have changed – your parents do not want you to be that kid. </p>

<p>Try to ignore the frenzy and believe that there will be many off campus options available to you if you wait until at least first semester is behind you. </p>

<p>And yes, sophomores live in the newer, nicer dorms. </p>

<p>They also live in the older dorms such as Liz which has a central location on a hill above the lake and larger rooms than some dorms.</p>

<p>Dorms should be required of all incoming freshman. Great experience. You’ll make tons of friends. But after one year get the hell out. Find some roomies, get an apt, buy a red card for meals, and have a good sophomore year.</p>

<p>Not at all. </p>

<p>No housing requirements. UW requires that students have the independence in many areas. Making housing choices is one of them. Starting college has so many adjustments from HS life at home that dorm living has advantages over going it alone in an apartment. Many more support services and an experience worth having.</p>