Appeal letter

UWM is really my dream school and my top choice. Unfortunately, I was rejected.
I know the chance is pretty slim but it worth to try
Did anyone send to the admission office an appeal letter before?
I really need your help.

What are your stats?

UWM is UW-Milwaukee

@debbiezjw What were your stats? I can help you but it would help to know your stats

major:business
sat1:2070 c590 m800 w680
gpa:unweighted 3.7
I am an international student so I have to take TOEFL as well
There are some basic rules above
I did a lots of extra activities such as intern. Model UN
More importantly: I heard one studen has been changed his status from denied to waitlisted so I am pretty worried

If there’s anything new or a big thing you left out of your application (You had cancer and that’s why you didn’t volunteer/win a national competition/etc.), appeal, but if you put everything you had in your application, don’t.

@GabGirl should People appeal if they’ve had a huge shift in grades with a large amount of credits?

Potentially. Here’s what the UW Madison website says about appeals:
Appealing a Decision

"Every application denied has already been through an extensive review. For an appeal to have merit, it must bring to light new compelling academic and/or personal information, as well as details pertaining to extenuating circumstances that were not addressed in the initial application. Essentially, the appeal must present information that clearly shows the student to be stronger than had been earlier evidenced.

Appeal letters must be written and submitted by the applicant within 30 days of the deny decision to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Email is an acceptable format for submission. Be sure to clearly outline the reasons for appealing and present new and compelling information. Do not simply repeat information that was presented at the time of application. At the time of appealing, the letter should accompany any other appropriate documentation as needed.

Postpone and waitlist decisions cannot be appealed. Any application that is incomplete or late will not be eligible for an appeal. Applicants can only appeal once and decisions resulting from an appeal are final. We will not accept appeals filed on behalf of the student by a parent, counselor, teacher, friend, etc.

It is our usual practice to respond to appeals within four to six weeks of the date we receive them. While all appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, the rate of a decision being reversed based on an appeal has historically been very low. Application fees are nonrefundable regardless of the result of an appeal. Appeals should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment."

So, if your grades are significantly stronger, and you can explain a low GPA (like depression, loss of family member, etc.), then go for it! The most you have to lose is being forced to face a rejection again, but could potentially get accepted/waitlisted.

Based on your post, I’m wondering if competency in English may be an issue.

@GabGirl I’ll definitely try, even though the very idea of receiving a second rejection pains me XD Idk. I’m wondering if it’ll even matter, if they were really interested in seeing my improvement this semester wouldn’t they have postponed me? Maybe they didn’t expect me to get a 3.92, I have no idea. I’m worried they’ll say even with the incredible improvement I’ve made, the amount of credits doesn’t matter, rather the amount of time I’ve been receiving good grades. I wish I knew what they wanted. I’ve heard rumors that MN residents have been widely denied this year as well. Maybe a 3.9 with 25 credits this next semester would change their mind :)) 8-| :-h If I manage to pull that off forget Madison I’ll try for Berkeley.

@debbiezjw I’ll have to side with @lostaccount , maybe if you appeal have it proofread by someone who knows a great deal about grammar, fluency, etc. and see if it makes a difference. Also if grades are an issue, you could always follow the MATC route :slight_smile: Kinda wish I did back in freshman year.