Application doubts

Hi,
much appreciate it if someone can answer these questions:

1. there seems to be different application fee amount in common app ($30) and on the website it says $40. Did not submit the application yet so not sure what is the correct amount at the end.

2. there seems to be no supplemental essays in common app. can someone confirm if there are supplemental essays for Engineering?

3. Presidential scholarship for OOS – are these scholarships given to students automatically upon admission ? or do students need a separate application form for scholarships? any additional essays for scholarships? (SAT: 1570, GPA: 4.43)
    will they consider for scholarships if applied after Nov 1st?

4. In common app, all other engineering majors have “- Engineering” mentioned next to it, but computer science major does not have that “- Engineering” word added to it. checked the website to see of computer science is in any other college, but it seems to be in Engineering college.

5. are there separate Engineering college scholarships? if so, how to apply for the scholarship?

6. Is there automatic consideration for Honors college? Did not see anything about Honors college in common app.

7. are there multiple locations of the university? which is the main branch?

UA does not use the Common App, you go through the link on the school’s website to apply and pay the fee. There are no essays. The Scholarship and Honors College information and applications will be through the same portal you create when you apply. The Honors College has a simple application with a short essay that is mostly determined by GPA and scores. OOS Merit scholarships are automatic, follow the directions on the application and website. The main campus is Tuscaloosa AL. The scholarship deadline is the middle of Dec so you should apply ASAP. Good Luck!
https://gobama.ua.edu/steps/freshman/

My son just applied from Out of State as well. I was surprised at how straight forward the application is. II am guessing that the decisions are mostly based on Test Scores and Transcript. I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.
How long after applying does it take to get assigned access to the portal? It is asking for a CWID which he didnt receive.

After applying he only received an email confirming payment but nothing else. Is there an email typically sent to confirm application received?
Is there still enough time to be accepted and apply to the scholarships?

What is the criteria used for the Honors College?

Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly, the CWID was on the letter that my DD received in the mail with her admission information. There was portal info in that letter as well. It came pretty quickly. Scholarship deadline is 12/15. Honors College admission is basically numbers driven- GPA/test scores although there is a short easy essay on the application as well. I have never heard of anyone who has the numbers, not be admitted to HC.

@cb12345678 You get a CWID as soon as you send your application. Check the email account you used to sign up.

@learning19 1) Common app is for University of Alabama Birmingham only. You apply to the flagship school in Tuscaloosa from the UA.edu site. As the flagship, it is referred to as UA, while University of Alabama Birmingham is referred to as UAB.

1. There are no supplemental essays for UA. I don’t know about UAB and none of my answers are necessarily applicable to UAB. (This board is specific to UA, not UAB).

2. Presidential scholarships are automatic. There is a separate page to apply for additional scholarships on the UA.edu page. But those are additional scholarships on top of Presidential. And no essays. The deadline for scholarships is December 15.

3. At UA, you merely select your major. If you are admitted, you are admitted to your major. I have no idea about UAB.

4. There is an additional engineering scholarship. I believe it is automatic if you have the stats, but I am not sure. Check https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshmen/

5. Go to honors.ua.edu to apply to the Honors college. It is solely based on stats, so you will get in. There is a short essay, but I have no idea why they want you to complete one. My daughter just cut and paste an essay she wrote for a different university. There are additional Honors type programs that also have December 15. So my advice is to apply ASAP, then apply to Honors ASAP (I believe you have to be admitted to apply for Honors). That way you can apply for the Randall Research Program and the University Fellows Experience before December 15.

6. There are three locations: UA in Tuscaloosa, UAB in Birmingham, UAH in Huntsville. Tuscaloosa is the flagship campus. I believe UAH is known as the engineering one because of their proximity to the space center. But I am not positive because my daughter has no interest in engineering. Applications are separate for each location.

I just want to emphasize how easy the UA application is. It will literally take you 10 minutes to fill out. By far the biggest delay in getting accepted will be the time it takes the transcript to get sent from your HS. My daughter applied over the summer and got accepted a day after they received her transcript. But it took 2 weeks for the transcript to get there.

So fill out the UA application today or tomorrow at the latest, including sending your SAT scores. Get your transcripts sent on Monday. You will hopefully get accepted before December 15 (three full weeks from now), so you can get your additional essays done in time for the December 15 deadline.

Thank you @gusmahler and @Roo17.
Does applying to Honors college considered an automatic consideration to Randall Research Program and the University Fellows Experience? or is there a separate application for these two programs?

Those have a separate applications.