Application verification

<p>uc recently asked me to verify my credentials as a tutor. basically I was self employed and tutored a few students in order to make a little extra money. How would i verify this? a letter from one of the people i tutored? I’m a little anxious so prompt replies would be appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>bump</p>

<p>anxious bump</p>

<p>I think your idea is fine - obtain a letter from a parent of one of the people you tutored, more than one if you can. How else can you verify this? I would also make sure the person includes a phone number and email address so that the UC can contact them directly to make sure that the letter is real.</p>

<p>@prospect1‌ they only ask for one document. could i have the student write the letter, as he can verify payment and dates better than the parent (parent really wasn’t involved in the process)</p>

<p>@prospect1‌ i also sent a letter to uc inquiring how i should do this </p>

<p>I’m sure that the student letter will be fine as well, but in that case I would certainly try to get more than one, and make sure to include contact information. A “document” can be more than one page, IMO. </p>

<p>@prospect1‌ i agree, however they asked for one document. does that mean one person?</p>

<p>Did they specify a single “document” or did they specify a single-paged document? A document can contain many pages. For example, a contract is a “document” that can have many pages. If they asked you to provide a document that verifies your credentials as a tutor, that could be interpreted as a single compilation of more than one page. However, perhaps it is best to ask. Perhaps you can create a single pdf (which would be a single “document”) that contains a few pages of letters, including a cover page from you explaining in more depth what you did as a tutor, and attaching the letters as verification of what you did.</p>

<p>@prospect1 a document. not a single paged document. but i see your point ill call and ask. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>It is not fair to you to demand proof of something that would be difficult to prove in a single page. I firmly believe you should compile what you need to compile and forward it as a single “document.” I cannot believe they will refuse to consider your evidence merely because it is two or three pages instead of one. We are talking about short letters here.</p>

The parent was involved in the process? Was/Is the parent aware their son/daughter is getting tutored? Who’s paying you, and via cash or check?

The UC requested I provide work experience/EC documentation when I applied for Frosh UC admissions. I obtained a 1-page (1 paragraph) letter on company letter head from my former colleague. The document stated my job description, my particular responsibilities, his name, position, and official contact information.

OP said that the parent was not really involved in the process. I take this to mean that the tutoring arrangement was between the OP and the students he/she was tutoring. Therefore, there will not be any formal record of the arrangement such as company letterhead with the name/position/etc. of a boss or supervisor.

Unless OP represented to the UC that he/she was a formally hired tutor for some company, or was hired by the parents, which clearly would be a misrepresentation in this case, the OP can only obtain letters from the tutored students. OP listed tutoring as an activity.

I see nothing wrong with OP’s representation to the college that he/she provided tutoring services to fellow students, and the letters will clarify that the tutoring was provided in an informal setting. Tutoring is a respectable and rewarding extracurricular activity and the merits of it are not diminished simply because OP was not hired by a company or even by parents. Frankly, even tutoring out of the goodness of one’s heart for no pay at all is commendable IMO - maybe even more commendable.

The parent(s) may not be “involved” in the process, but if any parent is aware of the tutoring arrangement, the parent can write a letter on what ever type of stationary they wish. If none of the parents are aware of the tutoring, then it’s up to the OP to obtain as many documents he/she feels is necessary to satisfy the UC’s request to confirm his activity. If the UC is not satisfied, they will request for more documentation.

If the parents are unaware of the tutoring arrangements, OP can still ask the parent(s) to write a letter. However, if the parent(s) were against tutoring in the first place, then this may not be an option. :smile: