Are all the incoming frosh and parents ready to hit Ttown in a week or two? How are y'all feeling?

<p>I am sitting here in a Ttown restaurant having breakfast and enjoying the atmosphere. This restaurant is popular with locals and the big table next to me is filled with retired men (and a couple wives) all talking Crimson Tide football. While eavesdropping, I’ve learned that they meet here every Tues morning. They seem to know a LOT of people because nearly anytime anyone walks in, the men stand up and greet the newcomers. </p>

<p>While the OOS new students won’t experience some kind of strange culture shock, they will sense that things are different here…friendlier and calmer (except in regards to football…then all bets are off!).</p>

<p>One thing that I had to adjust when I moved to the South was the “yes ma’am, no sir” thing. Growing up in Calif, we were taught to say, “please” as a yes response to a question. Do you want more coffee? Please. So, now I say some kind of odd combo of “Please, yes ma’am” or “yes ma’am, please”. lol</p>

<p>What are your thoughts about you or your child’s move to the South?</p>

<p>We already live in the south - a couple of states away. My D wanted a “traditional, southern, big college.” We are excited and nervous. Making lists and trying to figure out how to fit everything in the car for the move. Every firsthand experience we have had with UA so far has been top notch from the campus tour arranged through the Honors College last summer to Bama Bound in May. The website is fantastic and the few times I’ve had to call for additional information the staff has been very helpful and pleasant. We feel lucky that our daughter is going to be part of a school that seems so on target. </p>

<p>Currently in the process of condensing my pile of clothes to pack. Exactly a week left here; it has finally started to sink in that I’m heading 15 hours away from home. It makes it even weirder that I’ll be the first one of all my friends to leave (most of them won’t move in until the end of August or after Labor Day). Thankfully, the recruitment schedule leaves very little time for sitting around feeling homesick the first week there. I’m a little worried about the distance, but mostly just excited to see what lays ahead of me!</p>

<p>what’s the name of the restaurant? I would like to go there before my orientation on 13th…</p>

<p>I’m finishing up the dorm purchases and getting things ready to pack. My son seems to be pretty chill about the whole thing and I’m a wreck. As happy as I am for him and his new adventure, I’m also sad about him leaving home. I know it’s necessary but letting go is difficult. The guilt of ‘I should of or could of’ been a better mom, taken more vacations, etc…is tough. I want him to love college, he has chosen a great school and up to this point, has demonstrated he has a good head on his shoulders. So why all the worrying an tears? I guess it’s a mother’s way of dealing with the transition. Wonder if he’ll ever call home?</p>

<p>Angmom3 You sure put into words everything I have been thinking?Felling these last couple of days. </p>

<p>We pull in Wednesday evening after the 10 hr drive from TX. Trying ro decide if we can fit everything in one van. Already have several packages waiting on son’s personal pallet at the mail center. Everyone at UA has been so very nice throughout the pre-move in process. From the gentlemen at the Mail Center who personally showed S where his mailbox was and made sure it would open, to the clerk on the phone at the SupE store, to the librarian at the Engineering Library who gave S a personal tour including the 3D printer setup which was “building” someone’s model…every person we]ve dealt with has gone above and beyond in terms of being truly cordial and helpful. Now, I would expect this from admissions officers, the honors college, deans and dept chairs, but the considerate approach seems to permeate through much of the UA organization… That stands in stark contrast to some of the staff we spoke with “big name” engineering schools after S had been admitted and whose attitudes conveyed that he should consider himself lucky to have been admitted and who never had answers for any questions. Although S is our last to go to college, the UA welcome thus far has been exceptional and makes the transition much easier.</p>

<p>Thanks to all of the more experienced parents here at CC for sharing their knowledge of UA which led him to apply here and for all of the helpful tips!</p>

<p>"“what’s the name of the restaurant? I would like to go there before my orientation on 13th…”"</p>

<p>It is too far away from the univ for you that morning. If you want to grab breakfast before orientation, you may have time to go to Rama Jama’s which is on the southwest corner of the stadium. </p>

<p>But, you will be in the dorms, right? I don’t know if the Food Court will be open in The Ferg. If it is, then that would be a good place to go.</p>