Are AP and IB better in certain subjects?

<p>Yes, I understand at some schools, they allow that. But at others, they don’t do that, so it is “all or nothing.”</p>

<p>@Kaeroze You’re right, I don’t want to commit. I’m so confused on what to do and I feel like I’ve no idea what I’m getting myself into and I don’t want to be in so deep that I can’t get out.</p>

<p>Well, you have another year to decide. I got into IB without really knowing what it required except it was hard and required a lot of time. Now I’m so glad I’m in it. IB students become like a family since you follow each other to different classes and you know each other so well. We complain about the same things and try to encourage each other. We are all going through the same thing and as much as most of us want it easy with AP(lol AP is considered easy), and we all have thought about getting out. And many will who want an easier Senoir year. I can’t tell you what to do since you know what is best for yourself. If you manage to catch an IB Student(Running joke) and ask about whether to get in or not the following replies will happen, “NO! DO NOT DO IT! Its really hard and you have no life.” or “Do it, it’s worth it in the end.” So definitely opposites. I don’t think you can be ready for either AP and definitely IB because you won’t have to experience or classes to prepare you, not really. So just think about, talk to other people and decide what you want to do. You are free to ask me any questions. And you can always get out, but I guess it doesn’t look good. :|</p>

<p>@Kaeroze, i’m a junior also… still a lot of things to go through in the IB :P</p>

<p>And i’m amazed that your school gives 15 points for IB Classes. My schools gives 5 points for only HL classes… Yep, i know, my school sucks.</p>

<p>Lol we can get through this together!! I’m going through the process of discussing EE’s and I wanted to do a Group 2(Spanish) and my teacher basically told me I couldn’t because I wasn’t a native speaker. I’m going to try again though :slight_smile: and yeah IB gets 15 and AP/Dual-Credit get 10. They really want you in IB, plus of how hard the GPA gets hit in IB.</p>

<p>you’re so lucky that you get +15 points.</p>

<p>I was in the process of trying to do a math EE but my teacher said I shouldn’t because what I wanted to do had Calculus as the hardest math and so I wouldn’t do really well in it… So, i had to go to History :(</p>

<p>And yea, we can get through this together! the journey will be long and hard but i’m hoping it’ll be worth it in the end.</p>

<p>That’s nice. At our school you can do it over any subject as long as youre taking the class and it is a class at the school. And that really sucks, I am trying to talk to my Spanish teacher again about Group 2 EE, since you aren’t supposed to be super fluent. It’s about the journey of learning it and stuff. And why coukdnt you do a Math EE? What’s your History EE over? I haven’t even started.</p>

<p>Here’s the breakdown between AP and IB science/math courses:</p>

<ol>
<li>The combination of AP BC Calculus and AP Statistics covers more than IB Math HL. IB Further Math covers more than the combination, though.</li>
<li>AP Physics C is a much harder course (and is more focused) than IB Physics HL. The IB course doesn’t go into very much depth and doesn’t use calculus.</li>
<li>IB Biology covers far more than AP Biology.</li>
<li>AP Chemistry covers slightly less than IB Chemistry HL.</li>
</ol>

<p>As many of you have said, in general the IB humanities are vastly superior to the AP ones. A lot of this has to do with the fact that AP courses last one year whereas IB courses last two.</p>

<p>At my school the AP Math and Science are better, but IB History, Literature, and Language are better
But you can’t really go wrong with either in my opinion</p>

<p>I disagree. I’m in 4 IB classes and sorta hate them all</p>

<p>I do the same mixed IB/AP program as you, and I’ve gone with IB for most of my courses. For the humanities, definitely go with IB, and for sciences I think it depends on the teachers, as the material covered will be essentially the same in my experience.
Another thing to keep in mind is that colleges that give credit for IB/AP classes will give credit for all AP classes, but most colleges give credit for only HL IB classes, so if that’s something you’re concerned about, it would be better to take an AP than an SL IB.</p>

<p>IB curriculum wise is so much better than AP. IB requires for you to know information, and then be able to analyze and apply it to other situations, whereas AP is strictly understanding and memorization.</p>

<p>I’m a sophomore in MYP right now, and the classes so far aren’t that difficult, though that may be because the Honors kids are mixed in ALL of our classes.
All of that changes next year, though. I am almost definitely continuing with DP (Diploma Program, the last two years of IB and the only two that really mean anything in my school district xD). I’ve asked a lot of people about it, from Traditional to Honors/AP to DP students and teachers as well. Honestly, most people in traditional (at my school) just don’t try at all in their studies. So many people are in honors/AP/IB that it looks REALLY bad for the traditional students. General consensus is that if you’re in DP, your life REALLY sucks :P; if you’re in AP, you’re average/normal (unless you’re taking like more than four at once); if you’re in Honors as an underclassman, you’re normal/average but if you’re in it as an upperclassmen, you’re behind; and if you’re in traditional, you’re going to one of the community colleges less than 5 miles away (if even that). xD
In recent years, I feel like DP has gotten a much worse rap than it deserves. Sure, the workload sounds brutal and at times pointless, but almost everyone I’ve talked to has told me that IB prepares you so much better for college than AP. Even some of the AP students have told me that they wished they stayed in DP, because as someone posted earlier, everyone in DP becomes a family. They see each other so often that they can’t help but become uber close friends, even if they do annoy each other occasionally. :slight_smile:
Back to strength of AP courses as opposed to IB courses, though…at my school, AP math and science classes are far better than the equivalent IB classes with the possible exception of HL Chem. In fact, we haven’t had HL Math/Physics classes for YEARS now, just because pretty much no one in DP either wanted or had enough intelligence (xD) to take those. But yes, the Humanities courses sound much more in-depth and time-consuming. That’s why next year I’m planning on taking Business and Management instead of History! xD The only history class I have ever liked is the one I’m currently in, and that’s only because of the teacher’s personality, certainly not because of the curriculum.
If you’re still debating whether or not to continue with DP or stick with AP, I would say that one of the key differences is that AP lets you self-select which courses/exams to take based on your own strengths, while IB forces you to commit to an entire spectrum of studies. Also, I think AP is more convenient for students, because not only do YOU get to choose what to take, but also, you don’t have to be in the classes themselves to take the exams. That REALLY helps with class scheduling. And then there’s DP, where to take the exam you MUST have been in the class, and where you have six required classes, which really constrains your schedule.
Some really crazy people do take both, though. I know this one guy who took DP last year along with all three main AP science exams (most people don’t take APES seriously)…how he escaped senioritis I have no idea, but he managed somehow. xD
Oh yeah, and then the people who are advanced enough in math have to take either AP Stats or AP Calc or both their sophomore year (yay…) because my school does the SL Math class REALLY weird. :confused:
Ok wow, that was a really long post. xD Sorry! But you have to make your first post count, right? ;)</p>

<p>Take the IB classes so you can be a Diploma Candidate and take AP tests in the subjects you study. The material you learn in SL level classes and a bit of self-study should be more than enough to get 5s. I did the full IB program and by the end of my junior year, I had taken 13 AP tests (11 5s, 2 4s). My senior year, I took HL Math and Diffeq at a local college, which is an option if you feel HL Math is an utter waste of time (like I did).</p>