Are the Course Preferences Tentative?

<p>The New Student Course Preferences are available on myUM, but I wanted to know if they were final or tentative, because I would really like to meet with an advisor to discuss this. Also I plan to double major, so how would that factor in? Thanks!</p>

<p>They’re tentative, e.g. they don’t take into account AP credits, Foote Fellows, etc. According to others on this site, you’ll be able to meet with your advisor during orientation to finalize your actual schedule.</p>

<p>The schedule my D came up with on myUM didn’t look anything like what she ended up with after meeting with her advisor during orientation. Not sure why UM does it this way, but it does work - just seemed so “last minute”.</p>

<p>Thank you! I didn’t want to make a mistake or anything! I definitely need to meet with an advisor!</p>

<p>My son’s advisor called today to review his choices with him. He is in the Comm School. Have to assume they will do the same for everyone. She told me they don’t want to wait until August to find out there are issues and they have to make tons of changes.</p>

<p>It would be nice if all the advisors did that between now and August - seems to make a lot more sense than the alternative.</p>

<p>If we email Christi Busto about getting in contact with an advisor, would she be able to hook us up with one? (Especially if we’re a Foote Fellow…)</p>

<p>Nothing to lose - give it a try mb444 and let us know!</p>

<p>Just emailed her, got an out-of-office reply until Monday. Now, we wait… And May the Fourth be with you.</p>

<p>Question- I’m an engineering major and the only thing I can choose from in the Course Preferences menu is a couple of random liberal arts electives. I assume this is because engineering curricula are pretty structured, but it still seems a little weird. Should I be seeing anything else?</p>

<p>@Marinebio444: If you were to be hooked up with an advisor, it would be Dean Deutsch (she’s the Foote Fellow advisor), so it’d probably be worth emailing her directly.</p>

<p>Not sure that is universally true. My D is also a Foote fellow (class of 2015) and has Dr. Peterson as her advisor. May be different for RSMAS Foote’s.</p>

<p>Oh I was just going off what a current Foote Fellow student told me.</p>

<p>I received an email back from Cristi, and here was her response: "Hi Jon,</p>

<p>The process for course preference selection does not allow you to pick specific classes. You are asked to select from topic areas (which may include general education requirements). You want to complete the form as you see it because we will place you accordingly based on your Foote Fellow designation and any AP/IB/dual enrollment credit that you receive. Your first semester schedule is created for you and you will meet with an advisor to make any changes during Orientation. If you still have questions, you can contact Ginger Birgenthal in Marine Science for guidance. She can be reached at <a href=“mailto:ginger@miami.edu”>ginger@miami.edu</a> or 305.284.2180.
I hope this helps!
Cristi"</p>

<p>So I think the Communications people getting hooked up with an advisor at this point is strictly a decision made by the Communications school.</p>