Are these classes good to apply for biomedical engineering?

I am currently taking AP Physics 1 and Chemistry Honors. I am planning to take AP Chem and AP Bio in the future. Is this a good enough plan for biomedical engineering? Any changes or recommendations?

Yes, those will be helpful. What are planning on for math? Computer programming? Those will help as well. Does your school offer any engineering or bio-med classes?

2 Likes

I am currently a sophomore. I am taking pre-calculus honors right now. I will be taking ap calc bc and then ap stats. I already took Java over the summer at a local community college and am planning to take Ap CSA next year. I have taken engineering essentials for engineering and sports medicine for bio-med. Also is it fine that I don’t take an advanced physics class like Ap physics C? Thank you for your advice.

1 Like

Hi

That all sounds good. Great options in courses to explore your interests.

Yes, you can get into great programs without having the most advanced physics class offered at your school, but you want to show you are challenging yourself and you want your school counselor to say in their rec that you took the most rigorous courses that fit into your schedule.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks, I am taking AP physics 1 outside of my school since it isn’t offered. But I will still get an official transcript that is separate from a community college transcript. That should be fine right?

Beyond the usual high school college preparation (English, history, etc.), the basic minimum high school preparation for any engineering is

• math through precalculus – take calculus if available and you finish precalculus before 12th grade
  • high school chemistry – advanced / AP / college level is a bonus
  • high school physics – advanced / AP / college level is a bonus

For biomedical engineering

• high school biology – advanced / AP / college level is a bonus

Any exposure to engineering (e.g. PLTW, robotics, etc.) that helps you determine or confirm your interest in the subject is also helpful, so that you know that you are more likely to stay in the major through graduation.

From what you described, it looks like you have all of the above.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice. I am also part of my school’s robotics team, so I am pretty interested in engineering but my main passion is biology and medicine.

2 Likes