Are universities interested in male nurses?

I know that certain races have an easier time getting into colleges based on affirmative action and I was wondering if it was similar for males looking to go into the nursing field.

you would be welcomed at nursing schools but being male would not make up for mediocre stats.

@NursingMan I agree with TomSrOfBoston. I’ve heard people say that it’s easier for males to get into nursing but as a nursing student myself, I don’t know how true that is. I think any nursing program will welcome you whether you’re male (or female), but it’s the test scores and extracurriculars that are most important. Once you’re actually in the nursing program though, you may notice a difference in the way people treat you as a male nursing student. Girls obviously won’t mind and other male nursing students will be glad to know they’re not alone :slight_smile:

I think it might depend on the program. If a particular university is advertising that they have a large percentage of males in their nursing program, then it may mean that they are doing an “affirmative action” type of admission toward males to better balance out the genders. Your stats may not need to be as high in that case as a female applying, but this is just speculation. It is well known that in computer science, universities and employers go out of their way to recruit women, so I would imagine that there are definitely some nursing programs out there that would be very eager to recruit male students.

Males applying to nursing or education schools is a hook. Still need scores in range for the school, but your odds are better than if you were female.

My friend’s H decided to go into nursing in his 50’s. He spent his 20’s and 30’s in a family restaurant that closed after his siblings decided to leave, his 40’s in a sales job. When my friend was downsized after 20 years (along with me), she decided to stay at home with the kids for awhile so he could go back to school. He had to finish his undergraduate degree as he had dropped out and he had to take the science and math classes. He did that at CC. His being male didn’t help with getting in initially as he needed the stats but once he was in school and getting top grades, he was the beneficiary of some scholarships geared to minority students. Although he’s white, as a male, he was considered a minority in nursing. He is currently working in a telemetry unit and thinking about going back to school for administration because he doesn’t want to stay on the floor as he gets further into his 60’s. He has a BSN.