Are you basically screwed if you don't have any letters of rec?

<p>I heard they aren't required but are very good to have...?</p>

<p>If you’re a borderline applicant in terms of GPA, Test Score, and/or Course Rigor, then essays and LORs can make or break you.</p>

<p>They also say that they would “like” to see at least one letter of recommendation from a teacher who knows you well from an academic standpoint. So, your not screwed, but I’d at least explain to admissions why you didn’t send at least one in.</p>

<p>There is no reason NOT to get one or more letter of recommendation- everyone capable of UW work must know at least one teacher willing to say so. Teachers expect to send these letters- it is not out of line to make the request and find out if the teacher is willing to write you a “good” one. Please note another recent thread’s link that stated an application is complete without them- you can still send them after your application is being reviewed.</p>

<p>Definitely send one in, but I am going to say this for about the twentieth time on here - I got in this October with a 33 ACT, 3.8 GPA, and average EC’s. I had NO recs.</p>

<p>So it is definitely possible and honestly I don’t think that huge in importance. I’d still recommend sending one in though, even though I didn’t.</p>

<p>MNT…, your course rigor may have sufficiently impressed the admissions committee. Others- why gamble at this late date?</p>

<p>I only took one AP only, and although I was on the hardest possible track in social studies and science, I was not in engligh, mathematics, or foreign languages. I am still wondering how the hell I got in.</p>

<p>In case anyone’s interested on this in the future, I did not send any letters of rec and was accepted nevertheless. I’m an international student with 30 ACT and few ECs. Perhaps my international student status played in my favor or maybe it was my essay. The point is, lack of rec letters didn’t screw me at all.</p>