Teacher Recs for Madison

<p>Do you need to submit any? I can't find any information on the app about how many recs need to be submitted or where to send them. Or maybe that info comes up after you've submitted the application.</p>

<p>There is a section on the website about "Application Materials" that says- </p>

<p>"Letters of Recommendation. We would like to see at least one recommendation from someone who can attest to your academic ability (i.e., classroom skills, knowledge, and work ethic). Other recommendations might come from an employer, clergy, research mentor, or coach. Remember that quality is better than quantity—a total of two or three is sufficient. You can use our Recommendation Form (pdf, 39K), or simply ask that your recommendation be submitted to the Office of Admissions on letterhead, plain paper, stationery, etc."</p>

<p>This and all the other materials needed are listed at <a href="http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/freshman/apply.php#appMaterials%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/freshman/apply.php#appMaterials&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Just saw a dispelling of admissions myths in my "On Wisconsin" alumni magazine. A "holistic" process, not just the gpa/class rank/test score numbers are used. Therefore- do a personal statement to market yourself, and seek out that teacher who can let them know why you should be at UW. Quality, not quantity, not reiteration of facts they can find elsewhere in your application. Just saw the above post with the same Q words- they're true.</p>

<p>I am a very strong applicant, so I did not send in any recs... will that hurt my chances if everything else is perfect?</p>

<p>If getting a good LOR is too much of a hassle, just send in your "perfect" application and hope for the best. After all, UW is just a safety school, right?</p>

<p>I am a very strong applicant, so I did not send in any recs... will that hurt my chances if everything else is perfect?
^I hope by strong you mean 3.9+ UW GPA, 2250+ SAT, and great ECs, esp. if you're OOS. It's the best big-state school in the nation. Give the app what it deserves, and don't get too cocky with them, because admissions aren't as surefire as you think they are.</p>

<p>I don't mean it that way, but statistically I have very strong chances. I don't have the recommendations yet, but I wanted to apply right away so I would have a decision asap. I'm trying to confirm what my guidance department told me about LORs. By a "perfect" application, I mean "all sqared away and in order" in terms of having things all sent in.</p>

<p>Yes, Madison is a safety school for some applicants. Is that a terrible thing? No. It's still an excellent university that has awesome academics and the perfect college town. Large state schools are not for everyone, but their lagre class sizes mean that they are generally less selective. I see nothing in that to get offended over.</p>

<p>And please don't call me cocky. It's fairly obvious I am not saying that I have perfect stats. Wish I did, though (;</p>

<p>Warning- applications have been increasing every year recently, it is not as much a safety for some as it was even just a few years ago. It never hurts to have those steller teacher recs and other "might make the difference" items. For example, you can look on the UW website and see the minimum number of required HS courses in various fields, but the typical numbers admitted students have is right there and a lot higher.</p>

<p>Well said. There were quite a few suprise rejections at my school last year.</p>

<p>Someone earlier on this link said their sister was rejected with a 32 ACT and 3.9+ GPA, plus great ECs (not sure the exact stats, but it was pretty darn close to that).</p>

<p>Several kids with 31 ACTs and 3.8 gpas were waitlisted (though eventually accepted) from my school last year...</p>

<p>I've heard they don't really look into essays/ ECs that much if your stats are good enough, though.</p>

<p>What you heard is really a myth.... <a href="http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth7.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth7.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>They have somewhere around 20,000 applicants and only a few staff members... there's no way they can read them all very carefully. I'm sure it does play some role in borderline cases, though. Wisconsin is known as a very "by the numbers" school from everything I've ever heard.</p>

<p>First, adcom does read the essays of all applicants except quite a few who didn't bother to submit one. Hint: there is nothing more annoying for adcom than to read a really looooonnnnng essay.</p>

<p>If your stat doesn't quite match the admission profile, "by the numbers" still applies, albeit at your disadvantage. In such case, not even a brillantly written essay will bring a miracle. </p>

<p>On the other hand, if your application is deemed "qualified" or "highly qualified", you are in a different ball game. In recent years, Madison has gotten too many qualified and highly qualified applicants. While not exactly a bad problem for UW, the number of qualified applicants forces a lot of others factors into play.... under the so-called holistic approach. Essays/LORs are read and used to disqualify or at least to postpone a candidate. "Interest for UW" is often considered. The creative list goes on. </p>

<p>So, if UW is just a safety school, do what's most convenience and focus on your bigger fish. If UW is one of your top schools, make sure you perfect and turn in all the pieces. Note: this is a highly biased comment as I do prefer people who really want to go to UW.</p>

<p>okay, riddle me this. I applied the 20th of September - 31 ACT, GPA 3.8, strong yet lengthly first essay, and decent ecs - how will being a third generation legacy applicant come into play. I've heard nothing, but it seems like nobody has as of yet.</p>

<p>kimu08, I think you should do fine with or without the legacy status ... unless your WI HS is known for grade inflation. </p>

<p>Give your admission counselor a call to make sure your file is completed and ready for review. Good luck!</p>

<p>Also- good Wisconsin residents- do apply to UW as a safety, there is an old thread on CC about someone who ignored having a safety and had to wait a year to go to school. I don't recommend waiting to apply in January like my son did (at the prodding of parents- he only aimed extremely elite x2)- but he had extreme scores, high grades... and did an essay and teacher recs. OOS- remember to have a safety, perhaps the local flagship U, before deadlines pass.</p>