Are you required to stay in dorms for Freshmen year for UC if you are out of town?

UCB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSB
UCD
UCI
UCSC

UC’s do not require Freshman to live on campus but usually the majority of Freshman do. If you are not local and cannot commute, where do you plan to live Freshman year? Many UC campuses have restrictions on Freshman bringing cars and obtaining parking permits.

Studies show that Freshman living on-campus have an easier transition to college life along with doing better in classes and making friends. Check each campus housing website to confirm.

I plan to live in shared apartment buildings. I was thinking about living off-campus since there’s more privacy and it’s more affordable.

Bitter California resident here: off campus housing can be extremely stressful, especially at UCB, UCLA, and other places. High demand and extremely high costs are a lot to take in. I would really explore all options before deciding to live off campus.

step one - get in, step 2, decide where you want to attend - step 3, figure out where you will live. Most campuses have very nice dorms these days and a meal plan and a built in community is a huge help for most freshmen.