Arts and Parody as a Freshman?

<p>My son has a very heavy load first semester and is considering pushing EN103 to second semester. I noticed an opening in one of the Arts and Parody sections and thought that might be a less time consuming course than EN103 - but would still get him some required credits vs just dropping EN103 completely (which would take him down to 12 credits).</p>

<p>Is there any disadvantage to doing this - especially as a freshman? Are there typically older kids in that class? Would it be better to take this class after EN103 in terms of his writing skills? Is it really not that much easier than EN103?</p>

<p>That’s a lot of questions, I know. Just hoping someone has some feedback who has taken both classes.</p>

<p>Yes, there probably won’t be any freshman in that class, but it’s not too heavy for a frosh. My son took it as a soph, but it’s not a cakewalk. It’s interesting, and Dr. Cary is amazing, but it is work.</p>

<p>Do you think it would be easier/less time consuming than EN103? or would they be about the same?</p>

<p>He currently has both classes on his schedule. Is it possible for him to attend each one once and then drop the one he doesn’t want - or do they discourage that?</p>

<p>Yes, he could try that, but it’s not a nice thing to do for an Honors class. The limit is 15 kids in each class, so to take a spot, and then drop it, keeps another kid from taking the class. </p>

<p>My kids never took Frosh Comp at Bama, so I don’t know how much work it is. It’s a Comp class so I’m guessing a whole bunch of writing following one of the two often-used writing styles, doing Works Cited pages (correctly!), etc. </p>

<p>if I had to choose, I’d chose Arts and Parody. It’s a fun class, Dr. Cary is super, and it’s hard to get a spot in her class. 103 can be taken anytime.</p>

<p>DS took Arts and Parody as a sophomore and absolutely LOVED it! He said Dr. Cary got teary eyed at their last class because she had enjoyed the class so much. How do you teach the same class every year and still get that much enjoyment from the students? He did have some papers and projects, but he did not find it a heavy load at all…</p>