Arts of Tuscaloosa

<p>My kids have never taken this class, but I know that it’s very popular.</p>

<p>What all is involved?</p>

<p>How many performances are students expected to attend? One a week? more? less? </p>

<p>Are they all off campus? If not, how many are off campus and how do kids without cars manage? Is there any car-pooling arrangements or anything?</p>

<p>Are some of the performances on campus?</p>

<p>Are some of the events not performances (are some museum visits or whatever)?</p>

<p>DS enjoyed it somewhat, it was a good chance to learn where cultural things are in TTown. Not all events are performances, and yes some are off campus which, despite what we hear on here “oh just catch a ride with someone,” is not necessarily easy for a new frosh.
Since it does apply to honor college credit and is not at all difficult, worth taking to balance out a more difficult course load. If your student has had even moderate exposure to the arts then most of the content is surprisingly basic. DS was amazed that it seemed the majority had gotten to college having not seen ballet, know the origins of jazz, going to an art museum or a professional play. Quite frankly if you’ve already done that stuff then the course is an easy A and can be done without even attending some of the events. You look at the art/go to the event, then do a writeup on it. Simple.</p>

<p>For the record, the actual quality or level of the arts in TTown, (however it should be phrased) is similar to anywhere else we’ve been. Sure ain’t no hick town, there is really anything you could ask for arts-wise there, and this is said coming from a son who had grown up around Chicago.</p>

<p>I agree with AL34.</p>

<p>D has spoken highly of it, and enjoyed having a “filler” class in an otherwise toughish schedule. It fills the honors requirement and has been a GREAT way for her to get aquatinted with UA as an OOS. There are some costs required, and D is on a pretty strict budget, so if that is a concern it should be taken into consideration. </p>

<p>For D, she spends every Tuesday night at whatever performance is going on that week, she calls it her “meet new people night” She chooses to go by herself and tries to meet the people on both sides of her before and after the shows, she has met some really fun people doing this LOL! She has enjoyed all the performances thus far, and has even started attending some additional shows etc on weekends. The talent level is excellent, and it has been fun for her. </p>

<p>As far as rides go, she is only half way through, but it hasn’t been too big of a problem yet. She did have to “catch a ride” one time, and that isn’t always easy. I wish they would have a more organized carpool system, with UH service hours too, there are many opportunities D has not been able to take advantage of because her mean ole parents sent her to school without a car.</p>

<p>Overall she has no regrets thus far, and has really enjoyed it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>As another mean ole parent, I completely agree! I also wish the bus system was a little more extensive.</p>

<p>I think S thought it would be one “event” per week, but there are 21 on the list, with 21 one-pagers. Many were on-campus and some were off. Some required pre-purchase of tickets which required some effort. The papers are easy to complete. S has a strong visual arts background, none for ballet, opera or classical music. But that’s what college is for- to expose you to new things. S had to get rides for the off-campus and some of the more remote on-campus locations</p>

<p>Reading the above posts, I’m not sure how you can do it on one selected day per week or write some papers without even attending the event. Am I missing something?</p>

<p>*As far as rides go, she is only half way through, but it hasn’t been too big of a problem yet. She did have to “catch a ride” one time, and that isn’t always easy. I wish they would have a more organized carpool system, with UH service hours too, there are many opportunities D has not been able to take advantage of because her mean ole parents sent her to school without a car.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Re: car rides. This summer, I did bring up the concern about carless kids needing rides and I was told that that would be addressed. If it hasn’t, then I will mention that again. With so many kids coming from OOS and many IS and OOS kids not having cars, rides should be arranged.</p>

<p>I even asked if it’s possible for the HC to use its influence to have 348-ride (good sized van) to meet by the HC at appointed times and provide transportation and I was told that that would be a great idea. The ball may have been dropped. I’ll ask about it.</p>

<p>as far as writing the papers, the amount of info required is basic, so basic that you can either complete it from a brochure or info in the interwebs. This may be assuming you have an in-depth knowledge of the arts though. At DSs high school they had to do something much more comprehensive but similar to this every semester so he had a big advantage.
Not something he set out to do, but some of the scheduled events directly conflicted with his evening classes so you do what you have to do.
Again, Thanks Mom2ck for continuing to address the transport issue :)</p>