"Asian" in Chance Me and similar threads

I thought we were discussing “Asians” as too broad a term for Chances threads. In fact, I think that’s the consensus, no?.

Correct.

So why do these unhooked Asian students feel like being Asian is disadvantageous? Because they are competing directly against other unhooked high performing Asian and white kids and thousands of them have 1570 SAT scores, 4.0 GPAs and have won numerous Math Olympiads.

They self identify because they have no hooks and being an unhooked Asian kid is one of the least desirable demographic group (along with unhooked white kids).

2 Likes

Feeling disadvantaged because they didn’t have to work after school to support their family? Not all feelings deserve the same level of concern.

You can, if the college does not consider race or ethnicity in admissions (e.g. public universities in California, Florida, and Michigan).

4 Likes

And because places like reddit and CC perpetuate the perception, by prompting a Chance Me student to tell us their race. I’m glad we are discussing ways to better focus this.

2 Likes

This whole thread is about how to help these kids and not judge them because they arent working to support their family.

My parents ate food out of a garbage can to escape the communists and our family was robbed at gunpoint on 10 different occasions. My mother and grandfather were beaten with a iron pipe.

But my kids are considered privileged despite being only one generation removed from hell. So you are correct, let’s judge these kids despite whatever backgrounds they came from even though they have not had to work to support their family.

3 Likes

The irony here, of course, is that your parents and grandparents would have had well-deserved “hooks”. And your kids would be considered legacies by now.

1 Like

Nope. Because despite being poor, they attended an elite overseas University. Even though they had advanced degrees, back then there really werent many opportunities for immigrants with low level English skills.

However they started their own business and despite all their turmoil, became just successful enough that neither my sister nor I would qualify for any advantages. I suppose we couldve classified ourselves as first generation but not low income but back then, there was no internet so we didnt even understand the process so we just attended our flagship state school.

2 Likes

You went to one of the best tax-payer supported universities in the world (UT-Austin.) A lot of Stuyvesant H.S. and Brooklyn Tech students would consider that an advantage.

Can we stop the back and forth and get back on topic please?

1 Like

I think we’ve already addressed the primary points of this topic and everything else is just a byproduct of understanding different perspectives as it relates to how Asians view the college admissions process.

They self identify and understand who they are competing against. We understand that they are an ORM, which is basically an euphemism for Asian.

They have no hooks so their chances are low. Should we ask them their personal story and help them craft an essay to increase their opportunities? That’s not really the point of the Chance Me threads anyway.

There’s so many variables in any application process but this thread is about one identifiable aspect: Being an Asian applicant. So that’s the distinguishing factor that differentiates this topic from any other ones and why there are all these offshoot comments.

1 Like

There are colleges and universities with decades old affirmative action programs, preparing themselves for the inevitable day that they will have to swap out these programs with all FGLI approaches to “diversity”. It won’t address the feelings of “unhooked Asians”.

I don’t agree with this. If we take this view, we are saying that an “Asian” has a low chance in all circumstances just because they are “Asian”?

What is the point of the Chance Me threads then? Should there be a disclaimer that Asians have a low chance and there’s no point in “Chancing Them”? Of course not.

Ethnicity is just one of many facets that I think (hope?) a college takes into account. Isn’t that about it?

3 Likes

Aren’t chances low for the vast majority of unhooked White students too?

Haven’t we whittled it down to saying that unhooked Asian and unhooked White are very similar? So that takes away the “Asian” modifier.

2 Likes

I think it’s self selection. The people who come to CC and start a Chance Me thread are typically applying to highly selective universities.

@ucbalumnus makes very valid points that anyone interested in race blind schools, they are treated the same as everyone else. So in that sense, we can help those kids understand that being Asian does not help or hinder you.

However, many of these kids want to Chance Me for T20 schools so in those situations being unhooked Asian is worse compared to every category other than being unhooked white, which is basically the same.

1 Like

Yes but this thread is about unhooked Asians. I dont have any stats here but Ill hypothesize that the majority of Chance Me Threads are Asian students or parents.

I could be completely off base.

Let’s try to take that race chip off their shoulders!!

1 Like

I don’t understand why it is relevant that a student is unhooked Asian vs. unhooked white, if these are basically the same?

You must realize that the legal status of Affirmative Action, which could affect thousands? hundreds of thousands? generations? of minority enrollment hinges on whether Harvard discriminates against Asians.

1 Like

So wait a minute…are you saying that whatever Harvard does, all schools follow?