Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>ladyconfused, my aid was gaped. I have a EFC of Zero and my award letter I'm getting about 2,8000 from UM. What should I do? Also, I'm first gen. URM</p>

<p>ladyconfused, my aid was gaped. I have a EFC of Zero and my award letter I'm getting about 2,8000 from UM. What should I do? Also, I'm first gen. URM</p>

<p>You're going to have to translate that for me lol..... what does gape, and EFC mean?</p>

<p>28,000 is a lot in financial aid, isn't it?</p>

<p>ladyconfused, I recently recieved a email from the office of admissions tellin that i was defered to waiting list and then that they are sending me a "special offer"... what this special offer could be??...</p>

<p>hmmmmmmm, it could be that they're offering you admission in the Spring semester but not in the Fall... (a lot of students drop out after the fall, so then there are extra openings)</p>

<p>Yep i think LadyC is right. Although they might get u in for fall conditionally assuming you come in summer and take some prep course or somethin like that.</p>

<p>Not to intrude on Ladyconfused' thread..sorry, but I thought a parent knowing how UM's financial offers work might be able to shed a little light here:</p>

<p>
[Quote]
I have a EFC of Zero and my award letter I'm getting about 2,8000 from UM. What should I do?

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>Is the 28,000 scholarship money awarded with your acceptance letter, or is 28,000 the total amount of your financial aid statement? They are usually two different things. Son recieved his scholarship dollars with acceptance and then sometime in April received the "true" financial aid statement, which not only showed the scholarships dollars, but how the rest of the aid worked in regard to our families EFC. In our case, a combination of loans and grants. You really need to see the whole "plan" before you can make an informed decision regarding costs, etc.</p>

<p>no you can go right a head 1tcm! :)</p>

<p>if they offer me admission in the fall... do i have to apply for financial aid again?</p>

<p>Sorry, it's the Award Letter
Gaped is when your aid package don't meet Cost of Attendance</p>

<p>I got the Full Pell Grant $4310, two small grants w/ 6k in fed. loans along with16k scholarship. I live myself(no parental support)...the school is out of my choice of options. I still used my mothers income and my EFC was zero. I hope my other choices come though</p>

<p>Oiram....... would you be willing to go to debt to go to UM. Because if you live by yourself, then you probably have a job... which would enable you to get student loans.</p>

<p>Also, if you're a Fl resident with half-decent SAT scores, you should be able to get Florida Bright Futures which pretty much covers full tuition to any state school like UF (which is actually a pretty good school!)</p>

<p>You said you got two small grants...how much was that? I heard last year that the most they gave out was 12k.</p>

<p>Yes, I have two jobs now in high school. I want to go to law school so, I dont want to go in great debt. I got the FSEOG grant($1000) and the U of M Grand D ($1900). I be fine if the grant was around 8k or 9k which would put me at around 25K in debt. It fine because I know I have to pay for my education but I really have to ask myself is it worth it? Also, I have to see my other award letters as well from other schools. I know I qualify for full tuition scholarships at Howard University (it's a HBCU)--I'm black but will I get it? All I have been though in High School @ least I go back and saw I did my best and that wasn't even good enough.</p>

<p>Well, if you don't get full tuition at other schools...... please still go to college.... education is always worth it, and sometimes there are special grants for education majors, or math majors etc.... so you could major in something like that and stay pre-law because with pre-law you can major in anything....</p>

<p>ladyconfused ,the wellness center is beautiful. have you ever taken any cooking or exercise classes there? do they get filled up fast? does it cost a lot of money for the extra things there? what dorm would you suggest for in coming freshman major in Psychology and is very out going? thanks for your help.</p>

<p>I'd suggest Hecht for the dorm......</p>

<p>I haven't taken cooking or excercise classes there... but many of my friends have and they all love it... the excercise classes usually don't fill up too fast if you get there 10min before it starts... Most excercise and cooking classes are free except for the cycling classes and yoga... Memberships for cycling and yoga aren't very expensive there (I think it's something like $200 for unlimited yoga classes for an entire semester)...... The main excercise equipment do fill up fast especially in the evenings but you can put in a reservation for those or you can just wait until one opens up.</p>

<p>Hope this helps</p>

<p>ladyconfused, i have heard good things about the academics at the school. How is MiamiU in the field of International Relations, Political Science and Arabic ? If they in fact have any of those.</p>

<p>My parents are very concerned about safety, and our CSI: Miami dvd's don't really give them a good impression of Miami. How safe is the campus and the area's where students may go to.</p>

<p>Is Miami that expensive ? Or can you go by without spending an entire years tuition all over again in your spare time in Miami ?</p>

<p>Last but not least, how are the facilities at MU ? Is there a soccer field and a gym or a place where you can work out ?</p>

<p>Thanks !</p>

<p>Ill be attending UM this fall and I know a ton about the city and a lil about the campus. </p>

<p>Safety: CSI Miami is bull. U shouldnt be concerned about safety, CSI Miami is a crime show, thus everythin u see is crime and ficticious crime for that matter. Look Miami is the 6th largest metro area in the continental US. therefore u have good areas and bad areas where u just simply no not to wonder around alone in. Miami U is located in the best area of Miami. Coral Gables is a up scale colonial mediterranean suburb or Miami full of boutiques, cafes, Malls, amazing golf courses etc.. Even better yet, its surrounded by more upperscale neighbourhoods such as Coconut Grove and the best part of Kendall. The bad areas of Miami are far from campus. The only thing u should be worried about safety is jaywalking through the busy US-1 :D</p>

<p>Expensive: Well, first off, the school is actually really expensive. The city of Miami, is also quite expensive. Its not like you will be able to go out everyday of the week to restaurants cause in that case u will go broke. However if u can balance ur budget, u should be able to go out quite often. Remember u have dining halls, food courts and a ton of other eateries on campus that present really good options like suchi and other kinds of exotic options. But to give u an idea, you wont be spending an entire tuitions worth of money on ur spare time. Also there are tons of stuff to do on campus such as golf, tennis, sailing, partying in frat houses, free football games at the orange bowl etc.</p>

<p>Facilities: Ok I might be wrong here as this is very subjective but here is my opinion. They do have a really nice gym. its called the Wellness Center. Lots of stuff to do but from what I hear, it gets packed quite often. They are right now gonna expand it, even though i though it was already quite big. They have a ton of tennis courts, soccer fields, football fields etc.. Athletic facilities are great at UM and the weather maked it even better!
The Library facilities look quite nice to. the best is the Otto Richter Library which is also going to undergo an expansion like every other building on campus.
If you are into the communications major, they have new facilties really nice.
The other buildings arent all that great. However right now UM just got approval to build like 25 more buildings on campus, including a new University Center (amazing building to be built), New Alumni Center, Addition to GYm, Entreprenuership building and a ton of others. Hopefully they should be ready by 2008-2009.</p>

<p>ok thanks!</p>

<p>ladyconfused, i have heard good things about the academics at the school. How is MiamiU in the field of International Relations, Political Science and Arabic ? If they in fact have any of those.</p>

<p>They have a very good international relations, and political science program. There are also Arabic classes (although, I'm not sure if you can actually major in Arabic)</p>

<hr>

<p>My parents are very concerned about safety, and our CSI: Miami dvd's don't really give them a good impression of Miami. How safe is the campus and the area's where students may go to.</p>

<p>There is crime here like any other major city. Last week for instance there was a bank robbery but that was about 20min from campus. The immediate area around campus is fairly safe but crime still does occur. Coconut Grove is also fairly safe but there are some very bad neighborhoods in and around Coconut Grove right next to the really good neighborhoods. Basic commonsense will keep you safe though. Campus itself is really safe, although there have been a couple of crimes but it's not an everyday occurence. Everytime a crime happens on campus, you receive an e-mail that lets you know where it happened and a description of the offender, that way you can avoid that area and be extra safe until the offender is caught. Last semester a girl was pushed down the Rosborough Tower stair well, she was knocked unconcious and had a couple of broken bones. The offender was never caught but that was a one in a million occurence. Sometimes people's rooms are robbed but that doesn't happen very frequently and when it does, it's most likely due to carelessness, i.e., leaving your door unlocked. If you're a guy, you probably don't have much to worry about. If you're a girl, I would just suggest to take basic precautions like you should anywhere. The campus police is pretty active, and if you call 911 they will be at your room in under 3min. which is a pretty fast response time. I don't want to scare anyone with the few horror stories that exist because if you dig around enough, you will undoubtedly find horror stories at any major school. Crime is also very subjective, it all depends on what you're use to. </p>

<hr>

<p>Is Miami that expensive ? Or can you go by without spending an entire years tuition all over again in your spare time in Miami ?</p>

<p>I would say that the average student probably spends $200 a month on everything from snacks to entertainment..... of course, there are people who spend a lot more and a lot less... but that's just a rough amount. Eating out at a decent restaurant will probably cost you around $20-$30 (a nice restaurant, not a chain). Movies cost $9 per person. Going to subway on campus usually runs around $7 per person. Going to Key Biscayne costs around $6 (including parking and toll)... going to South Beach can cost up to $20 for parking, depending on the time of day. Icecream at Coldstone or Marbleslab runs around $5-6. Gas is usually around $2.60 per gallon. </p>

<hr>

<p>Last but not least, how are the facilities at MU ? Is there a soccer field and a gym or a place where you can work out ?</p>

<p>There is a soccer/football field, a baseball diamond, tennis courts, indoor pools, an outdoor pool, a jacuzzi, squash courts, a fully equipped gym, cycling room, and much much more. </p>

<p>Thanks !</p>