Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>ok cool thanks !!</p>

<p>do you happen to know anything about the nursing program?</p>

<p>how is the drinking/ partying scene? I realize that this is quite the party school, but will I feel out of place if I am not a drinker? I still love party's but I dont like to drink. Do you know how likely someone who graduates from the business school is to get into a good MBA or Law program (such as columbia, or harvard, etc)? Thanks</p>

<p>Im curious about the MBA as well. anyone know how long it takes to get into a good mba program? I read that NYU and other schools im interested in for MBA have about on average 4 years work experience. How does one do that? through internships or wat? I dont wanna wait till im 25 to get my MBA. I would rather do it right after i graduate. any help here?</p>

<p>Oiram-
If you get scholarship $ to go to a Florida State school RUN and take it!!!
You can do well at any school .Try to limit your debt. Save it for grad school. (This from a Mom)</p>

<p>LadyConfused:
How are the dorms? Any advice. My son was down last week and loved it. Miami showed him they want him and treated him really well. IS everyone as friendly as they seem?</p>

<p>how is the drinking/ partying scene? I realize that this is quite the party school, but will I feel out of place if I am not a drinker? I still love party's but I dont like to drink. Do you know how likely someone who graduates from the business school is to get into a good MBA or Law program (such as columbia, or harvard, etc)? Thanks</p>

<p>You won't feel out of place if you're not a drinker. There are many students who don't drink a lot and there are some who don't drink at all. Drinking is definitely not the only activity that students do at UM.</p>

<p>I don't know the likelyhood of someone getting into Columbia or Harvard from here..... I know that if you're competitive on your LSATs and have a solid gpa, good recs, then you should be able to get in there regardless of going to UM. UM has a nationally ranked business school.....google it or go on their webpage, they like to brag :)</p>

<hr>

<p>How are the dorms? Any advice. My son was down last week and loved it. Miami showed him they want him and treated him really well. IS everyone as friendly as they seem?</p>

<p>For a freshman I advise Hecht. Stanford is REALLY grungy.... on the tours they take you through Stanford so that's what you expect........ Hecht's lobby is GORGEOUS, you'd think that you're in the lobby of a 5 star hotel... everything in the lobby is new too. The rooms are the same in Hecht and Stanford but the elevator in Hecht is NEW... the Stanford elevators are VERY unreliable and during the last semester students have gotten stuck in it at least 2 times (the fire department had to be called)... </p>

<p>So I'd advise him to put:
1st choice Hecht
2nd choice Stanford
3rd choice Eaton (it's very close to the towers where most of the freshman and his friends will be)
4th choice Mahoney</p>

<p>Everyone on campus is really friendly...... the P100s (who give the tours) are of course the most friendly/outgoing and the most involved.... Generally speaking, making friends is not difficult at UM. Making quality/life long friends is more difficult but not impossible.</p>

<hr>

<p>do you happen to know anything about the nursing program?</p>

<p>Honestly, I don't know much about the nursing program. All I know is that it has heavy coursework and is VERY challenging.... In your second year you'll be doing 30hrs clinical each week on top of taking 18 credit hrs....</p>

<p>What are some of the work-study jobs that are available?</p>

<p>So Hecht and Stanford are identical including things like the look of the communal bathroom and the look of the rooms, but their differences are the lobby and the elevator?</p>

<p>Does Hecht have a substance free floor?</p>

<p>Do you know anything about becoming a P100? I know theres an application but what about the interview process?</p>

<p>if you get invited back after the written application, you have a group interview where you prepare a speech you have to memorize and present to the group. If you get called back a second time, you then have an individual interview. You can apply for P100 during mid-first semester.</p>

<p>What are some of the work-study jobs that are available?</p>

<p>If you log into my UM you can search them... You'd have to be more specific though.... there's a large variety, i.e., you can work in the law school, med school, various offices, research etc.</p>

<hr>

<p>So Hecht and Stanford are identical including things like the look of the communal bathroom and the look of the rooms, but their differences are the lobby and the elevator?</p>

<p>Yes</p>

<hr>

<p>Does Hecht have a substance free floor?</p>

<p>No</p>

<hr>

<p>Do you know anything about becoming a P100? I know theres an application but what about the interview process?</p>

<p>Basically what redsox said... it's not VERY competitive though, if you really want it, it will be easy to get</p>

<p>Is Hecht a freshman dorm. It is my understanding that there are two freshman dorms and that's where the kids will be.</p>

<p>We are waiting scholarship info and then ready to send in the housing deposit. Is there a decent questionnaire to fill out to match up potential roommates?</p>

<p>Is there any decent transportation to/from the Fort Lauderdale airport?</p>

<p>Any idea where OOS students store their stuff over the summer? (My school way back when had so many OOS that we were ablet o store everything in large storage rooms in the basement of our dorms).</p>

<p>How about shipping all the stuff. When? Where?</p>

<p>Mire important: Laptop or desktop?</p>

<p>Thanks from the MOM!</p>

<p>Stanford also has music practice rooms which Hecht does not, so a lot of music majors choose to room in Stanford.</p>

<p>For those who will be new to UM, this has been a very active board the last 2 years and there is a lot of great, helpful, practical advice in the old threads. A lot can be learned from flipping through the UM forum as some of these topics have been discussed in detail. Lady has great insights into life as a current UM student, but for more logistical questions, you may want to start separate threads so the info will be easier to find in the future. For college life info though, Lady is the way to go.</p>

<p>Is Hecht a freshman dorm. It is my understanding that there are two freshman dorms and that's where the kids will be.</p>

<p>Hecht and Stanford are the freshman dorms</p>

<hr>

<p>We are waiting scholarship info and then ready to send in the housing deposit. Is there a decent questionnaire to fill out to match up potential roommates?</p>

<p>Hmmm, tough question. The questionaire is very simple HOWEVER many students' parents fill them out for them. I chose a substance free floor in order to be substance free. My first semester roomate's mom filled out the questionaire, and so I ended up rooming with someone who did coke and got drunk everynight and had one night stands in the room with me IN it...</p>

<p>My suggestion would be to have your son/daughter go on facebook, and search for other UM '11 students.... and then see if one of them wants to be roomates..... Hind sight is 20 20 and that's what I would have done in retrospect.</p>

<hr>

<p>Is there any decent transportation to/from the Fort Lauderdale airport?</p>

<p>I can't help you on this one... I really don't know, maybe someone else could help you with this? UM's office of admission could probably answer this for you too....</p>

<hr>

<p>Any idea where OOS students store their stuff over the summer? (My school way back when had so many OOS that we were ablet o store everything in large storage rooms in the basement of our dorms).</p>

<p>What is OOS? Students use private storage.... there isn't any storage provided by UM for over the summer.... the only way that you wouldn't have to store your stuff over the summer is if you choose to retain the same room for the next semester.</p>

<hr>

<p>How about shipping all the stuff. When? Where?</p>

<p>UM will mail you information of companies they have had success with. I remember one was College Boxes and I can't remember the other one. Once you're accepted they'll give you all that info, as to dates they will start accepting packages etc.</p>

<hr>

<p>Mire important: Laptop or desktop?</p>

<p>I'd say laptop, because almost all students have one (few students have desktops).... The most popular lap to brand on campus is Apple (although UM is affiliated with Dell and gives discounts on Dell computers)......</p>

<p>UM doesnt provide transportation to FLL airport but you can take the super shuttle to and from.</p>

<p>what is the academic atmosphere like? are there kids always studying, or are they more likely to be elsewhere (partying, working out, etc.)</p>

<p>is this more of a 'jock' school or are there many 'nerds' around as well? and are the football players treated like celebreties by the students/staff?</p>

<p>OOS=Out of state</p>

<p>There is a way to take public transportation to/from FLL but it invloves 2 trains and a bus. Super shuttle is about $25 and reservations can be made online.<br>
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=104337%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=104337&lt;/a>
Shuttles to/from MIA are about $16. My S has also shared a cab with other kids headed to the airport. UM does usually run a free shuttle to MIA for the Thanksgiving break only.</p>

<p>UM does not usually accept shipments until the student has moved onto campus. In the past, they have suggested having earlier shipments sent to the UPS store on Rt.1. The BB&B is just down the road and very convenient for using their pack and hold option-choose items at your home store and pick them up in FL.</p>

<p>For summer storage, many kids will get together and chip in on a self-storage unit. If you do want to use CollegeBoxes, do a search on the Parents Forum. Last year several posters at other schools had a lot of trouble with them-lost boxes and late deliveries.</p>

<p>Once your enrollment and housing deposits are in, you will start to recieve lots of info regarding move-in.</p>

<p>LadyConfused and my3sons:</p>

<p>Thanks for all your helpful information.</p>

<p>What's the BB&B- full name so I can google them and call if we need them. Miami or Coral Gables address?</p>

<p>Miami Internat'l and JKF/Laguardia are big airports. Easier to manage Fort Lauderdale and our local Long Island airports if it is doable for the kids.</p>

<p>Is it a healthy(ha) mix of partying and academics. When I went to school, way back when, it was known as a party school but since then the academics have soared and UM has a gotten a great reputation. </p>

<p>Thanks again. I'll be back with more questions.</p>

<p>YEa it used to be called the "Sun Tan U" :D</p>

<p>I was listening to the news and they were predicting how many hurricanes the US will have. can someone tell me what happens at the school if a hurricane comes to Miami? are there a set of rules for the college students? I sure everything stops, but when does it pick up again? </p>

<p>does anyone know about marching band? Do they get to see the game too? or are they in back waiting to come out? when they go to an away game is it hard to make up work? anything you can tell me will help.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>BB&B-Bed, Bath and Beyond</p>

<p>Many, many LI kids fly Southwest from Ft Lauderdale to Islip. Since flights into FLL are often cheaper than MIA a lot of kids travel to/from FLL without any problems.</p>

<p>The school goes into lockdown during hurricanes. School does not start back up until debris is cleared and campus declared safe. During hurricane season, UM dedicates a section of their website to hurricane updates and campus preparations so students and parents can stay informed. This past year was very quiet, but the year before Katrina, Rita and Wilma blew through and the school calendar needed to be adjusted to accomodate the loss of class time. I'm sure Lady will elaborate on the lockdown procedures. Here was a great thread on hurricanes.
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=108294%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=108294&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>ctmom has a D in the marching band, you might want to PM her. I do know that they are in the stands during the games and seem to really enjoy themselves.</p>

<p>And now back to Ladyconfused(sorry I jumped in:))...</p>