Auburn Oaks

<p>So sad to see on CNN.com that Auburn is taking down their iconic oak trees this afternoon after their poisoning 2.5 years ago. Terrible to see this; it was expected they would not be able to save them, but I was hopeful.</p>

<p>Yes very sad.</p>

<p>Auburn is going to put up something else. Not sure what. </p>

<p>The trees will be cut down and pieces will be sold for their scholarship fund.</p>

<p>I would like to see the oaks replicated in bronze.</p>

<p>The article stated the university would plant new oaks next year. Wonder why they are waiting until next year? I’m sure the soil all had to be replaced. Maybe they need to wait for it to settle?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s a great idea! That’s what I thought should have been done with Bama’s broken crystal championship trophy.</p>

<p>Lots of people showed up for the final event – D said she could barely get close enough to throw her TP! – must have been thousands down there for the last “roll”:</p>

<p>[Auburn</a> Oaks: Celebrate the Tradition - Auburn University](<a href=“http://www.auburn.edu/communications_marketing/oaks/final_roll.html]Auburn”>http://www.auburn.edu/communications_marketing/oaks/final_roll.html)</p>

<p>Local news just shared that 10 years ago the university knew the oaks were nearing the end of their natural lifespan so they began a program to start growing saplings from the trees. The trees that will replace the originals are saplings that they had started from their acorns! I bet the reason they are waiting to plant is to allow another year of growth.</p>

<p>Yes, they’ve been growing the “Toomer’s Oaks” for a while – alumni buy the saplings as a remembrance and/or donation to the university. From what my daughter has heard however, they may or may not actually replace the trees with some of the more mature specimens derived from the original live oaks – live oaks aren’t really super hardy in the Auburn climate (if you can believe that). The planning committee is evidently still mulling over replacing the old trees with a more hardy variety of oak, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens. Whatever they do, the new trees won’t get rolled until they are thoroughly established and can withstand the rigors of having hundreds of TP rolls thrown into the branches and getting hosed out later. They’ll be using alternative “rolling” sites for the interim.</p>