Auburn University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Thank you :blush:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seems like a lot of knowledgeable people here regarding Auburn.

My DD recently got into Auburn. We havenā€™t visited because I have heard they donā€™t give great scholarships to OOS and that it might be difficult traveling to and from. We live in the Midwest.

Is it hard to get to Auburn flying and where would you fly into?

Also, is the freshman housing that hard to get?

We are waiting for some other decisions, but Auburn is a possibility!

The best airport to fly into would be Atlanta, and itā€™s an easy hour and a half drive from there. Another option would be Birmingham, but other than that, there are only small airports and I donā€™t think it would be very cost effective.

Freshmen housing is limited. When a student is accepted, they get a time slot to ā€œget in lineā€ to pick housing in the spring. It is first come, first served, so spots do fill up and you may not get your first pick of dorm/location. If Auburn is a strong possibility and she definitely wants to be on campus, it might be worth filling out the housing application and paying the $100 to hold her spot now (it would be non-refundable, but she would be in before the 3rd round of early acceptance kids).

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you! So you can fill out housing without accepting admission to the school?

Yes, there is a $250 enrollment fee that has to be paid before you select housing, but the housing application can be completed before paying that.

Iā€™m really not sure if there is a way to ā€œofficiallyā€ accept admission other than moving through the process - pay fees, start housing, financial aid applications etc. I could be wrong but no one has told me otherwise :smiley:

1 Like

I have a senior at Auburn now. We live in Virginia (10 hours away). We always book flights out of Atlanta. She has a car now- but her freshman year she used a shuttle service (Groome) to take her from campus to the airport. Iā€™ve even taken when I visit and donā€™t need a car. It runs about $65/trip.

We were last round of housing freshman year and still got a spot in the Village- however, knowing what I know now- I wouldnā€™t be against my freshman living off campus- there are MANY large complexes On the edge of campus that are completely walkable to class (or on the Tiger Transit). Many freshman live off campus. If my son decides on AU (fingers crossed)- we will try to get dorm- but if it is fullā€¦I am comfortable with the off campus living.

Prior to my daughter attending, we knew nothing about Auburn. She fell in love when she visited and has had a wonderful experience. Itā€™s a gorgeous campus and it feels very safe. There really is something special about Auburnā€¦it sounds corny but it really is like a big family. Even 10 hours awayā€¦I know she made the right choice. Good luck and War Eagle!

5 Likes

Thank you! We are in Michigan, so about 12 hour drive. I was wondering If there was a shuttle service. $65 is not bad considering an Uber is almost that up here going a few miles!

Do you use that service when you visit?

Yes, we use Groome (which is the shuttle service). Itā€™s super easy and around breaks itā€™s filled with students. They are 15 passenger vans. They book their trip online. Iā€™ve taken it many times. I believe there are 3 different pickup places- Groome office, Auburn hotel and outside the Village dorms.

2 Likes

My son used the shuttle several times even though he had a car and we live in Atlanta, he could study for 1.5 hour trip to/from the airport, then heā€™d catch Marta north and weā€™d pick him up in Sandy Springs. I think they have 15-20 round trips a day. Hereā€™s a link: Auburn Shuttle - Groome Transportation - Book Now

2 Likes

Thank you!

Does anybody know when freshman housing typically fills?

Room selection time slots start in March (the 22nd, I think) and are assigned based on when you complete the housing registration and pay the $100 deposit. I think the more popular communities like the Village tend to fill up fast, like within the first few days, especially if you are looking to place a group of roommates and not just a single. But I have also heard rooms open up as people change plans, so it helps to keep checking back often.

1 Like

Can someone please clarify ā€œofficial transcriptā€? My kid would like to to submit her enrollment deposit but the guidance counselor says she has to wait until January when 2nd quarter grades are finalized. Is this correct? Thank you for your help

Have her explain the housing situation to the school counselor. If she can not complete the housing steps until that is sent the school counselor should be able to assist.

Normally the schools batch them out after semester 1, they will still do that, but they can pull an official transcript at any time.

Thank you for your response. She submitted her housing deposit-- no problem there. Itā€™s the enrollment deposit. Is there a difference, for Auburn admissions, between official transcript and 1st semester transcript? Has anyone been able to submit an enrollment deposit yet?

Not true. You can pay the $250 now and anytime up until right before you pick housing (if living on campus). Theyā€™ll just want a final transcript once your daughter graduates.

3 Likes

^^^Thanks!

1 Like

Curious on those that were deferred EA2 and chances of admission possibly after semester grades are turned in or will they have to way for Regular Decision. Not giving up but seems as if others were accepted with lower GPAā€™s etc. She did go test optional and OOS. 3.97 unweighted and 4.19 weighted. Getting accepted at other schools that seemed more challenging to get into?

Auburn was very upfront about how they make decisions- and it was basically GPA and SAT/ACT. At least thatā€™s what I heard when we visited. I believe they said that last year only 10% of students who did not submit scores were accepted. Donā€™t know how that will shake out this year though.

1 Like

As far as merit goes - here is what you are likely to get as an OOS student. Of course there could be additions to this but this is the minimum as I understand it. Office of University Scholarships | Auburn University

1 Like