Auburn University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Yes, on our tour they definitely talked about scores which was surprising when they state they are “test optional”. We visited and did tour/info session 2 days before EA2 was due so pretty tough to all of a sudden get a test in time. Tried to get a test when home and everything is full. Certainly not complaining since she has gotten acceptances at all others, just wish we had known sooner. They also stated for our session that they would not look at essay or extra-curricular. We will just see now.

Yes I heard it was 7 percent not accepted without scores last year. I wish they made that clearer - scores don’t sound very optional!

1 Like

For comparison:

I was accepted OOS (and shocked to have been accepted).
UW GPA is 3.7
W GPA (using standard weighting formula +.5 and +1) is 4.23
I submitted my SAT - a not too great 1250 superscore

Seems our GPA stats are awful similar. Only real difference is SAT submitted vs test optional.

2 Likes

I think there is quite a bit of confusion about Auburn’s standardized test policy Auburn is not truly test optional. They have a “test flexible” policy. Students will be considered without test scores if they have at least a 3.6 gpa and they are unable to secure a seat for a standardized test. Choosing not to test is not the same thing as being unable to test. In most areas of the country there is no longer a problem finding a seat for a standardized test as there was at the height of the pandemic. If your student has been deferred, it may be a good idea to sign up for a test and submit those scores for regular decision.

2 Likes

Here’s an example:

I only have a 1250 SAT superscore - not so super but not terrible.

I studied each school’s CDS before I applied. The Freshman Profile section is important. It let’s you read between the lines as to how important SAT or ACT really is to a test optional school:

• I DID send my mediocre SAT scores to Auburn because 89% of enrolled freshman submitted a test score.
  • I did NOT send my mediocre SAT scores to UMass because only 31% of enrolled freshman submitted a test score.
  • I DID send my mediocre SAT scores to Clemson because 70% of enrolled freshman submitted a test score.
4 Likes

Agreed. When we toured last year, they made it very clear that test-optional was not for those who just didn’t like their score, just for those who were legitimately unable to take the test. As someone mentioned, only 7% of TO applicants were admitted last year compared to about 40% who submitted test scores. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Congratulations on your acceptance. Auburn is truly a very special place. My oldest child is a class of 21 Auburn alum and loved every minute of his time there. Please remember that only in the world of college confidential is a 1250 a mediocre SAT. You scored higher than 80 percent of the people who took it :grin:

8 Likes

You know, you’re right. Thanks for reminding me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if this helps anyone decide whether to submit an average test score or not, but I have twin boys who were both accepted to Auburn this fall. One has a 4.0 UW/4.2 W GPA, took the SAT once and got 1240 and applied test optional. The other has a 3.89 UW/4.04 GPA, with a 1330 superscore and submitted his test results. So I guess the lesson is you can apply test optional with a high enough GPA? Both have taken 9 APs and I think both applied to the Architecture school…

2 Likes

Auburn’s acceptance rate is now only 40% for applicants who submit test scores? (for class entering Fall 2022?)

The rule I’ve heard is if your score is 50% or higher than the mid range for the prior year then submit. Auburn publishes both in-state and out-of-state test scores so it should be easy to judge.

Also on the same page that reports the test scores, test optional is only available for those with a GPA of 3.6 or higher.

For the current freshmen class (Fall 2022), the overall acceptance rate was 40%. I’m not sure what the breakdown is TO vs test scores, but definitely seems TO went in with a huge disadvantage.

That is interesting to see the overall acceptance rate at 40%. Looks like the “college” websites need to update their information as many reflect the acceptance rate at 70% and higher. 40% makes it comparable to UGA and others.

1 Like

With Auburn accepting the common app, the acceptance rate plummeted from 71% in 2021 to 43.7% in 2022. Check out the attached fact view published by Auburn.

3 Likes

They don’t report accepted students who submitted test scores. The only thing they report is enrolled Freshmen who submitted test scores. For Fall 2022 enrolled Freshmen at Auburn, 89% submitted test scores. 11% were TO.

2 Likes

What Major? I have heard some majors like engineering expect very good grades in math courses etc. Deferral might be because of major choice and applying later. I know some test optional did get accepted in the first round.

1 Like

Not sure if you were asking me or someone else? My daughter is Pre Business since they don’t admit straight to business school.

1 Like

Can anyone speak to the likelihood of having online courses while at Auburn?

Has anyone applied EA3? My daughter applied EA3 as she wanted to take the ACT one more time and see if she could get her score up a little more. I am worried that she shouldn’t have waited until the third round. Does anyone know if it is more difficult to be accepted EA3 then in the first two EA rounds? Thank you!

My son hasn’t gotten an invitation to Admitted Students Day yet, and he received his acceptance in October. Where do you access it? Also, what is TALONS Day?

4 Likes