Auburn University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Just Google Auburn’s “common data set” - the exact number of deferred and waitlisted students ultimately accepted is in there.

2 Likes

Thank you. It didn’t have any information on acceptance after deferment, but there was lots of good info. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Curious about same thing—especially as test optional.

Right. Would love to hear some defer to accept success stories from last year. Trying to stay hopeful !

2 Likes

Take a look at the thread from 2022. I got the sense that Auburn was overly selective early on and then admitted a good number of deferred applicants later. I think it has been very hard to manage the huge influx of applicants since moving to the Common App. Continue reaching out and showing interest.

5 Likes

Just wanted to share some feedback regarding the Honors College. My son was waitlisted for the first round of HC admissions. The coordinator said they received 1,400 applications in round one and are now working their way through the 800 received in round 2. They typically get 1,700 in total, admit 1,400 for an enrollment of 700. So an 82% admit rate just went to 31%.

She didn’t say how deep the waitlist was, but indicated that they really want to admit as many kids as possible but won’t know numbers until March or later. However, she did indicate that spring freshman year was another opportunity for enrollment as kids drop out and other students graduate. She basically said that if they cant make it happen for fall, they will find a way to make it happen for spring. Hope this helps any other kids who are waitlisted!

2 Likes

Not sure I follow the honors college math. If they received 1,400 apps in R1 and another 800 in R2, that’s 2,200 total honors college apps. If they typically admit a total of 1,400, wouldn’t that be an admit rate of 64% (i.e., 1400 admits / 2200 applicants).

The “yield rate” of 50% (700 honors college enrollees / 1400 admits) makes sense, as you’d expect that a decent number of kids who submitted an AU honors college application will end up enrolling at another college.

3 Likes

You are correct - my mistake 64%. Been out of school too long! LOL

the deadline to submit for the AUSOM scholarships is 2/1. Do you know when they will let you know if you receive anything? Thank you

Thanks for sharing…glad you finally got some answers. Those are some crazy numbers, but it does sound hopeful for those on the waitlist!

1 Like

Early March on AUSOM awards

1 Like

Hi there. Parent of a class of 2022 and now freshman at Auburn. Stay hopeful! My daughter was deferred at Auburn round 2 and was devastated- BUT she was accepted regular admission- so please stay positive. Last year it was a nightmare all over the place and it didn’t seem like anything made sense- she was accepted early to VT but deferred at Auburn. I would have thought it to be the reverse.
At any rate, stay hopeful, continue to stay in touch with them and SUBMIT test scores- even if they are lower than you would like. Auburn really wants those scores. There is data published somewhere deep on the website that shows for last year average acceptance gpa and test score for in state and out of state- and same for test optional. It is eye opening.
Also- my daughter finished her first semester at Auburn with a 3.8 and enrolled in the HC, so if admission to HC doesn’t happen now, it can happen after first semester.

TL; DR: Stay hopeful, keep in touch and SUBMIT THE SCORES! Best of luck, it’s brutal.

5 Likes

Thank you for the hope!

Any idea of what cut off of ACT to send?

1 Like

Just what I needed to hear. Found out today son accepted at UNC, which we are grateful for. However,he still loves Auburn! We will leave it in God’s hands. Thanks for the hopeful message!

4 Likes

UNC?! Amazing- congrats to your son! That’s a very tough admit!

2 Likes

Like you said, it just doesn’t make sense, but different schools look at different factors. I appreciate your advice and will let you know what happens in March. Do decisions usually come out around March 15?

1 Like

My daughter was sent an acceptance towards the beginning of March on a Friday. I’m not sure if that’s typical- I just recall the date as she was in a tournament and I didn’t want to remind her to check as I was afraid of bad news… but she saw the notification email come across her phone! There was no announcement from
Auburn for admission decisions that I saw, and it was pretty quiet on these boards.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I know that was a day to remember.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. What’s wild is the huge difference in “basis for selection” for 2021 and 2022 compared to the prior years. Seems like it’s now only GPA (very important), test scores (very important), academic rigor (important), and state of residency (considered). Is it true that everything else is “not considered” as Auburn indicates in the common data set?

3 Likes

I have heard that! I think the year they first had an overwhelming number of applications, they quickly “regrouped” and simplified the admissions selection process. In state is definitely a little easier than out of state, but I think it’s pretty much GPA and test scores. If I recall correctly, the Auburn website application didn’t even as for extracurriculars, and definitely no essay.
On the other hand, honors college selection seems very “holistic”. Once a student meets the minimum GPA and test score criteria, that seem to then really focus on ECs, leadership, essays, high school curriculum etc.

3 Likes