Auburn University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Thinking and hoping the same!

2 Likes

Is anyone familiar with Auburn’s “Exploratory” major? Admittedly, my first thought was that it sounds like opportunity for a student to spin their wheels and waste time, but it actually seems like a really great program, especially for those who aren’t 100% sure about a major. Students have a special advisor, and they take a 2 hour course that gives chance to explore majors Auburn has to offer and do research on areas they’re interested in.

My daughter is interested in a few different majors, and her interests are sort of all over the place right now. She’s considering Exploratory, just for one semester (after that, she would really be done with core classes and need to move on to major-related courses). We will see
need to get through the admissions process first, and a lot can change between now and next Fall!

In case anyone is interested
 :slightly_smiling_face:
https://exploratory.auburn.edu/exploratory-major/

1 Like

Only a few more days until Early Action 1 decisions are released! Do you guys feel like they will be released Friday the 14th or before? Or do you think we will have to wait until Monday the 17th?

2 Likes

Last year it was Wednesday the 13th. So, here’s to hoping it’s Wed. :slight_smile: I saw in another thread they released them around 4:30PM.

4 Likes

My daughter submitted her application early, but realized that she didn’t select early action. Now we figured that she won’t hear anything until much later and her chances may be reduced. This applying and waiting is tougher on me than I think it is for her.

Any completed applications submitted by Sept 15 (with all required materials) should qualify for the first Early Action round with decisions released “mid October”. There was nothing to select - just make the deadline!

Is early action acceptances primarily just for high stats kids or is it possible for kids who are closer to the 50% in stats to receive acceptance do you think?

In emails with the admissions advisor, they said that in early rounds they aren’t even reading essays or looking at ECs, it is just numbers. Don’t know if that is true, but that was the guidance given.

1 Like

Toured Auburn last Spring and took a picture of this slide from their presentation. I know it doesn’t exactly answer your question.

3 Likes

This is helpful! I went on the tour and didn’t take a picture. I couldn’t remember the averages. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that slide. I am always surprised about the average GPA. Often the southern schools have higher averages than some elite northern schools. Do you happen to know how Auburn computes GPA?

1 Like

I was told by our advisor that every honors, advanced, Dual Credit, AP and IB class are given an extra 0.5 added for Auburn GPA purposes. So if a person takes a regular class and makes an A it is equal to 4.0. (B=3.0, C= 2.0; D=1.0; F= 0.0) If they take AP physics for example (or other advanced course) and get an A, that is worth 4.5. (Advanced classes: A=4.5, B=3.5, C=2.5; D= 1.5; F=0. Then all course grades are averaged together to get the Auburn GPA.

Thanks for that. I didn’t take pictures either but I know sitting in that room, looking at actual numbers on a screen made things so real for my Ds. It really put the fear of God (AOs) into them.

1 Like

I keep checking to see if my daughter’s “current status” has changed under her profile
but so far I haven’t noticed any updates. It still says “awaiting decision”.

After looking at previous early action threads for Auburn, it looks like a couple of days before acceptance letters were emailed, their status changed. I wonder if that will happen again this time. :thinking:

1 Like

That explains the GPA calculation - thanks for adding that. Used to UGA GPA which adds nothing for honors (only AP/IB) :slight_smile:

Thank you for explaining!

I also saw that the first “sign” was usually a status change, but didn’t realize it was days before! Do you remember what it changes to? Would it say “accepted”??
My daughter’s also says “awaiting decision” still.

1 Like

I thought it was day of, and awaiting decision just disappears.

2 Likes

I just looked back through the old thread and it does seem the updated status occurs the day of. Hoping tomorrow will be the day! :pray:t2:

3 Likes

hi! D applied and had everything submitted by 9/2. on her application portal above where it says “current status: awaiting decision” there is text that says “application status update” but she is unable to click on it, it just shows up like normal text. any insight as to what this is, does anyone else have it? thanks!