Bad Essay score on the ACT?

<p>I was wondering if Madison really cares about your essay score.. I got a 28 composite which is good enough for madison but i got a 6 on my essay. :( It was a bad topic that I didn't know much to write about really. The first time i took the act with writing i got an 8 on the essay but low composite(23). I think I write pretty decent most of the time and I got a 30 on the ACT english section. My gpa is also 3.65 unweighted and class rank is 11%. Is the 6 on the essay a big deal?</p>

<p>Please answer</p>

<p>It’s the weekend, be patient; maybe UWMadisonAdmiss will chime in with an answer. UW has a holistic approach, it’s not just about numbers (i.e. ‘I got a 28 composite which is good enough for madison…’).</p>

<p>Hello Sy2850, an ACT score with writing is an important component of the application. When reviewing, we do use a holistic approach – evaluating academics and curriculum, extracurricular activities, personal statements, and letters of recommendation, in addition to the standardized test and writing scores. In addition, we do not review individual sub scores of the ACT or SAT, but rather the highest composite score and the highest writing score out of all scores submitted to us.</p>

<p>Check out this portion of our site if you would like to see more:
[Freshman</a> Applicants: Freshman Application - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/freshman/apply.php]Freshman”>Apply as a First-Year Student – Office of Admissions and Recruitment – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>@UWMadisonAdmiss, is it possible to apply for spring? How is starting in spring, if possible, different from starting in fall? Will there be any major difference, and is there even a possibility of finding campus space if I start during the spring semester? I am very enthusiastic about UW Madison</p>

<p>Sy… the essay topic shouldn’t matter as much as you thought, your ability to write and not your knoweledge of the subject counts. This means being able to write clear/coherent sentences with good grammar and the other rules of good writing.</p>

<p>daniel… Fall will have new student activites plus orientation while there is only an orientation for new students for spring semester. You may or may not be able to get a dorm room on campus. You might want to check with Res Halls (send them an email) regarding chances for a dorm spot to open up spring semester- I know my son got a transfer student roommate then as his first semester rooommate did an off campus semester then. How comfortable to you feel being new, not only to UW, but to the US without being with others starting and more intro to campus activities?</p>

<p>Thanks. That’s not too much of a problem; I think I can adapt. The most crucial issue if I am lucky enough to get into UW Madison with my stats would be the dorm space.I will check on that.</p>

<p>Daniel - are you attending college anywhere in the Fall?</p>

<p>The posters on CC (espeically the Wisc. - Madison) thread are always very kind and responsive. Typically, you’ll get thoughtful comments based on experience. Some of the experience is from many years ago (still helpful) and some from current students.</p>

<p>When you need specific questions answered with facts, your best bet is the University’s website, or to e-mail a specific department or function within the University or by calling them directly.</p>

<p>If you want to know specifics about the likelihood of getting a University Housing room in Spring, contact Housing. Also, ask them about private housing and the best alternatives for a spring only solution. If you have questions about Spring Admissions for an International Student, contact International Admissions. </p>

<p>My somewhat limited experience is people on CC here will try to help, and offer opinions…but ultimately for those types of questions, you’ll end up needing to talk to someone at the University…so do it now (and best wishes).</p>

<p>@Madison85, no. I’m not attending any university in the fall of 2012. I intend to start January 2013. @madisonman22, thanks. Your comments were very nice and helpful. I sent an email to the university this morning. Hoping for a reply soon.</p>

<p>I heartily second post #9- madisonman22’s comments about contacting a university department directly. We offer opinions, they have the official word.</p>