Bad First Year at a Community College

Hi there,

My first year at my community college was not one of my strongest years due to trying to balance work and school on top of family issues. This resulted in some pretty bad grades for me. In the first semester, I got a 2.75, and in the second semester, I got a 2.6.

Before summer, I decided that it was time to get back on track with my academics. That summer I took a class and received a 4.0. In addition, the following semester I received a 3.75, and I am on track this semester to receive a 4.0. I am also taking a few classes over summer, and I am also staying a third year to complete my units to transfer. On top of that, I have become apart of student government, working as an RA for student housing (for cc students) and have also done a decent amount of community service.

Moreover, I wanted to ask if my recent trend in grades would be enough for UC’s to show that I am serious about school and would be a good fit for their community. I know that after having a tough first year that it would be tough to transfer to UC Berkley or UCLA, but I am more than willing to put in the work.

Thanks for looking into my post!

Are you instate Calf? Do you need a lot of aid to attend a UC, I think you have a shot but it may be a uphill climb, what will be your GPA when you are gonna transfer? IS this semester pass fail? that may hurt your GPA as well.

Here is the 2019 Transfer GPA by major for the UC’s. The 2020 data should be available next year.

Take a look to see what kind of GPA you need to attain for these schools:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

Yes, I attend an instate community college, and I do not need too much aid. This semester I am projected to get a 4.0, and if I continue to get a 4.0 during summer and the following semester I should hopefully be at a 3.6. But this semester I am not taking any classes p/f.