Chance Me for Berkeley or UCLA?

Hi guys,

My overall GPA is a 3.71, but I have a 4.0 at the community college I’m at right now. My GPA is low because I got a C in a college-level statistics course I took when I was in 11th grade, which is not related to my major(Economics). This really messed everything up for me to be honest, if I haven’t received this grade, I would be at a 3.86. I have a bit of ECs, ranging from 300-400 hours and about 3 Ws. I was just wondering what are my chances of getting into this school? Is there still hope? Anything could help.

This should gauge your chances: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

@Gumbymom Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen this data chart already, but it only shows GPAs and nothing else. Do you think UCLA or Berkeley looks at E.Cs the same as they do to GPA? Do you think they’ll ignore that C?

They will not ignore the C but if all your other grades are good, one C will not make a huge impact on your chances.

Each campus will review your application based on the following criteria. How they weight each individual item is different for each campus but GPA and completion of the required courses are usually the most important.

From the UC Transfer Advising Document::::

Comprehensive Review Factors: UC faculty have established 9 factors that can be considered for Transfer applicants; these factors are not listed in any priority order:

• Completion of a specified pattern or number of courses that meet breadth or general education requirements. • Completion of a specified pattern or number of courses that provide continuity with upper division courses in the student’s major such as a UC Transfer Pathway, AA degree for transfer (offered at CA community colleges only), or UC campus-specific major prerequisites

• Grade point average in all transferable courses, and, in particular, grade point average in lower division courses required for the applicant’s intended major including UC Transfer Pathway course expectations. • Participation in academically selective honors courses or programs.

•Completion of a UC Transfer Pathway or an AA degree for transfer offered by a California community college.

•Special talents, achievements, and awards in a particular field, such as in the visual and performing arts, in communication, or in athletic endeavors; special skills, such as demonstrated written and oral proficiency in other languages; special interests, such as intensive study and exploration of other cultures; or experiences that
demonstrate unusual promise for leadership, such as significant community service or significant participation in student government; or other significant experiences or achievements that demonstrate the applicant’s promise for contributing to the intellectual vitality of a campus.

• Completion of special projects undertaken either in the context of the high school curriculum or in conjunction with special school events, projects or programs co-sponsored by the school, community organizations, postsecondary educational institutions, other agencies, or private firms, that offer significant evidence of an applicant’s special effort and determination or that may indicate special suitability to an academic program on a specific campus.

• Academic accomplishments in light of the applicant’s life experiences and special circumstances. These experiences and circumstances may include, but are not limited to, disabilities, low family income, first generation to attend college, need to work, disadvantaged social or educational environment, difficult personal and family situations or circumstances, refugee status, or veteran status.

• Location of the applicant’s secondary school and residence. These factors shall be considered in order to provide for geographic diversity in the student population and also to account for the wide variety of educational environments existing in California.

@Gumbymom Thanks for the response once again. Do you think my father having a trauma at the time would maybe take some heat off that C or do they not care?

It was 11th grade so I think what you have accomplished after HS will be more important.

you can use your application essays to discuss you dad’s situation. With a 3.7 though, UCB is pretty unlikely. Apply broadly
good luck.