Bama 38 Florida 10 ~ The Gators fried in their own swamp!

<p>Five (5) Words For FLORIDAdad55: Gator meat tastes like chicken!</p>

<p>Just a little something for all my Bama friends :)!!!
Video of Rammer Jammer, postgame madness from field
dailybamablog.com
[Video</a> of Rammer Jammer, postgame madness from field | The Daily Bama Blog](<a href=“http://dailybamablog.com/2011/10/02/video-of-rammer-jammer-postgame-madness-from-field/?utm_source=twit]Video”>http://dailybamablog.com/2011/10/02/video-of-rammer-jammer-postgame-madness-from-field/?utm_source=twit)</p>

<p>I was just thinking about last fall. I was able to attend 3 high school football games at a Catholic high school that has a history of fielding powerhouse teams whose former players have played (and are currently playing) for big Div I teams and the NFL.</p>

<p>The atmosphere at the tailgating and during the games was very big football college-like…RVs, people with lawn chairs, BBQing, etc. </p>

<p>Does this mean that the high school isn’t academic-minded or that the teachers are teaching less Monday thru Friday? Does this fun weekend atmosphere suggest that the students aren’t serious students during the week? Does the fact that the parents are really into these weekends mean that they aren’t serious business people during the week? </p>

<p>When I sat amongst the crowd talking to parents who have children currently attending in college, the schools that they are attending ranged from Ivies, MIT, Stanford, the UCs, the Cal Polys, and various flagships across the country.</p>

<p>I watch college football. I follow the rankings. So I am not anti-football, per se.</p>

<p>And I realize college football is a big money maker for many colleges. After all, they pay their players zero (or perhaps $25,000-$50,000 a year, if you count the scholarship), while the NFL has to pay their players big money.</p>

<p>Then the school makes money on selling shirts and hats, etc. And TV contracts. And a million other spin-offs. So I fully recognize that the college, because of all of this, does have more money to spend on education because of their football program.</p>

<p>Yet, to me, there is still something vaguely unseemly about it all. I doubt I am the only one who feels this way.</p>

<p>Most of the players on the team probably wouldn’t have gotten into the college under traditional standards. THAT is why I call them mercenaries. Many of the players have ZERO interest in college, and simply consider Alabama as the path to the NFL. Many are really professional players essentially masguerading as college players. When you see 5 or 6 players drafted in the first few rounds from the same college team, that college team is pretty close to being an NFL team. Does Alabama really have a true COLLEGE football team?</p>

<p>Things used to be somehow “purer”. For example, I recently saw an interview with one of Notre Dame’s old head coaches. He said he was paid about $80,000 a year, but that since his kid went to Notre Dame, he had to give about half of the salary back to the college in tuition. College football has NOW become a business. When I was a kid, there was ONE football game televised each week----the game of the week. </p>

<p>If Alabama keeps winning and raking in more and more money, soon, their football team will soon have a university it can be proud of.</p>

<p>By the way, the same comments apply to University of Florida, where my kid will likely be going. Our bad showing was indeed disheartening. We have been paying to have, in effect, our own NFL team, and evidently, we didn’t get our money’s worth.</p>

<p>Perhaps we are being too frugal. Instead of paying our coach $4 million a year, we need one for $5 million a year.</p>

<p>Many of the players have ZERO interest in college, and simply consider Alabama as the path to the NFL.</p>

<p>Wow…that’s quite an assumption on your part. It also shows how little you know about Nick Saban. Coach Saban is very particular about choosing players that also have an academic interest because that is important to HIM. He’s very firm that the first priority is to get a college education…which is why Bama graduates so many players and a good number get grad degrees while playing. Last year, about 12 players already had their bachelors degrees. </p>

<p>For example, I recently saw an interview with one of Notre Dame’s old head coaches. He said he was paid about $80,000 a year, but that since his kid went to Notre Dame, he had to give about half of the salary back to the college in tuition.</p>

<p>I doubt that story…if he was one of ND’s “old head coaches” then tuition wasn’t that much then. Who was this person???</p>

<p>If Alabama keeps winning and raking in more and more money, soon, their football team will soon have a university it can be proud of.</p>

<p>Ok, that’s just rude. enough!</p>

<p>Which two universities had the highest percentage of active alumni giving to their respective school? If you know which rivalry is the most intense, you would know the answer. Perhaps the intensity of college athletics is galvanizing as Mom suggests. </p>

<p>oh yeah, in case you didn’t know the answer to the question I posed, it is The University of Alabama and Auburn University. </p>

<p>Also, I think both alumni and fans of each of Alabama’s top two schools know that they have a school they can be proud of. Does that mean we are satisfied? Heck no, but we do have plenty to be proud of. You obviously have not been to Bama’s rapidly growing campus. And UA is a top 35 public university.</p>

<p>My son and 3 of his pledge brothers drove down to Gatorland and went to the game. They ended up in the 2nd row of the swamp in the 3rd quarter and had a night to remember. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>There are all kinds of fabulous college memories to be had. I have great academic memories and EC/club/Greek memories. </p>

<p>I really wonder about these folks that seem to only want an “all work and no play” environment for college. That’s not real life and it’s a quick route to burn out. </p>

<p>Even in our “work worlds” we all need and enjoy some lighter “non work” times.</p>

<p>Another thing that big Div I sports gets you is publicity. When I was growing up in Calif, the only OOS schools that I knew about were the Ivies (cuz everyone hears about those) and big sports schools. I grew up watching Bear Bryant and the Crimson Tide, Ara Parseghian and Notre Dame, Bo Schembechler and Michigan, Woody Hayes and Ohio State, etc.</p>

<p>Bama’s frosh class this year is over 50% non-resident. That largely because of two things…Bama’s scholarships and the Crimson Tide.</p>

<p>“Hate to be a party pooper” Then don’t be one :)</p>

<p>“but doesn’t anyone else out there think that this college football thing is getting completely out of hand?” Said by someone who just had a steaming platter of gator meat handed to him, compliments of the Crimson Tide. </p>

<p>Personally, I’m not a fan of the NFL, but college football is exactly what it should be. Athletic, entertaining, and full of school spirit. If you don’t like it “per se” then don’t watch it, and stay away from schools that do. </p>

<p>Live and let live Miami Dad!</p>

<p>DH and I watched the BAMA game and the Badger game, although I was really annoyed when we had to switch to see how Bucky was doing! </p>

<p>I haven’t had the pleasure to visit the campus yet (hubby and son fell in love with it last January) but I will be visiting with son again soon. After watching the UA fans, cheerleaders, and dancers I can understand why my son is so excited to attend. The young women are stunning and he looks just like the young men in the stands, clean cut and adorable! </p>

<p>Plus, he just learned that the public relations program at UA is second to NYU’s program, which makes it number one for public programs. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>LOL, we got the B package by default – didn’t move fast enough to get A. Had no earthly clue the LSU game would shape up to be the Game of the Year!</p>

<p>loring, I bet you’ll be able to nab an LSU ticket.</p>

<p>And I agree, y’all: Trent Richardson for Heisman!</p>

<p>NJ, my DH tells DS: “Thank a football player for your near-full-ride scholarship, because athletics funds a LOT at this school!”</p>

<p>FloridaDad55
I was born in Birmingham and have been a TIDE fan all my life, so yea my DS probably made UA his number one choice and turned down UVA somewhat because of athletics. BUT, he is in the honors college and getting a master’s in finance in 4 years as well as his BA AND a BS in political science AND a minor in history. He is a sophomore and was on the President’s list both semesters last year. So, did he come to Alabama partially because they had a GREAT football team? Maybe…Is he getting a GREAT education AND having the best years of his life? ABSOLUTELY!!!</p>

<p>ps nice to see Saban celebrate a little:
[Video</a> from inside Alabama locker room celebration at Florida | The Daily Bama Blog](<a href=“http://dailybamablog.com/2011/10/03/video-from-inside-alabama-locker-room-celebration-at-florida/]Video”>http://dailybamablog.com/2011/10/03/video-from-inside-alabama-locker-room-celebration-at-florida/)</p>

<p>[Alabama</a> & SEC Graduation Rates - Roll 'Bama Roll](<a href=“Alabama & SEC Graduation Rates - Roll 'Bama Roll”>Alabama & SEC Graduation Rates - Roll 'Bama Roll)</p>

<p>Roll tide Roll Tide !!!</p>

<p>On the field and in the classroom results. Yeah I’d say we are getting our money’s worth with Nick Saban :-)</p>

<p>floridadad is about like the team he roots for. Big talkers but nothing to back it up. You’d think they’d learn to shut their mouths after getting their asses handed to them for 3 straight years.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Happy birthday, NJ. The Swamp has been drained. It sounded as loud as a surgical theater there. :)</p>

<p>Ahh…the video was removed. What was it like? Did Saban really look like he was happy? He’s often annoyed even when winning…lol</p>

<p>He did look happy in that awkward Saban looking way :).</p>