Bama Bound and Storage rental

<p>Can someone tell me if this makes sense…we are from NJ and my son and I are going to the June 18-19 Bama Bound orientation. I was thinking I could do a lot of the shopping for his dorm room while I am there and rent a storage unit for the 2 months until he moves in Aug 18/19 or whenever the date is. This way I could buy the comforter/linens/towels and get them laundered there and keep everything in the storage unit so they are ready to go as soon as we get there. We are supposed to finish up a family vacation in SC the weekend of the 18th so the more I can get done ahead of time the better off I will be. We will have to leave at least 1 day earlier so if I could buy everything for the room and store it the only things we would have to worry about would be his clothes/toiletries - does this make sense? Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!</p>

<p>Susan</p>

<p>It makes sense, but the extra two months of storage will add to the overall cost of moving. If that’s ok, then the idea works!</p>

<p>Also, since you’re doing this mid summer, the smaller units may all be rented.</p>

<p>There have been other posts here warning about humidity and the need for getting climate control units. If you are storing laundered items, I should think that any residual moisture could turn into mold rather quickly. This actually happened to us once when we moved - all of our linens had been stored in what was supposedly a climate-controlled facility…but when they came to us, everything had mold in it - we had to throw out every single linen, pillow, towel…it was gross, to say the least.</p>

<p>Instead of putting everything you buy in storage, I would see if any of the stores would hold the merchandise for you or allow you to order and then they’ll hold it for pick up in August. </p>

<p>you could make your list when you come, and then order online later and pick up when you arrive. Much cheaper than paying for storage during that time.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that T-town doesn’t have a BBB, so that would definitely be a store that you would order from and then do a B’ham pick up in August.</p>

<p>That makes sense, but keep in mind that there will not be an abundance of dorm items in June like there will be in August. There is no need to worry about things like ironing board, mini fridge, storage boxes, lamps, and those sort of things running out in Tuscaloosa. Target and Walmart are transformed into dorm super centers in August with unbelievable quantities of stock ready to go. The one thing I can think of that was hard to find was tension rods. I do understand the desire to launder the things so they’ll be ready to go, but I’d be a little afraid of mold from the humidity. Have you considered site to store?</p>

<p>For a similar cost, you mail items to UA which he can pick up on move-in day. FedEx and UPS offer online discounts (you drop the packages off at one of their locations) and only require you to measure, not weigh, the boxes. If you were driving to SC, you could stop in Delaware, do dorm shopping there, put everything in boxes, and drop them off with preprinted labels at a FedEx or UPS facility. Once in Tuscaloosa, buy laundry detergent and wash everything after he moves in.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice - I was a little concerned about the possibility of the humidity and the linens/towels etc getting moldy. Now I am definitely leaning towards having it all shipped and whatever we don’t ship we will pick up a Target/Walmart. The main things I wanted to get ahead of time were comforter/sheets/towels just so that I could wash them all before getting there. I think I am better off not risky the mold issue and just running to a laundromat once we get there - thanks everyone for the advice.</p>

<p>smrsson - remember, if you have an early slot you have access to the machines at the dorms. A good way to do a run through with him on proper use of machines on hand. </p>

<p>We took one set of sheets and towel with us (no real bulk) already washed from home and he washed the stuff we picked up there with his first load. A introduction to laundering away from home with no worry about ruining clothes.</p>

<p>Since DS moved out quickly and not ideally with the tornado and all most of his stuff needed to be washed on move-in. He did all the moving in stuff that they honestly don’t want parent’s help with - arranging furniture, putting stuff where they want it - while I manned the washing and folding. Kept me out of his hair a bit which worked well for everyone. No issues whatsoever with getting a machine.</p>