Bama Bound - siblings

<p>Will be bringing the sibling to Bama Bound. Can the siblings stay in the dorm without their parents? This would be high school aged sibling. Do they stay in the same suite as their Bama Bound older sibling? If there were 2 siblings that are high school aged, could they be in one suite and then the older be in a suite with others that are going to be at Bama next year? Just wanting to “spread the net” for D1 to meet new friends and not be stuck w/ lil sis.</p>

<p>Otherwise, lil sis will stay with us in the hotel. Which is just fine.</p>

<p>Call/email UA about this. Students are housed separately at BB from their parents/younger siblings- they were housed in two different towers in Ridgecrest last year. It was my impression that parents + siblings (non students) could be together in the dorm as families, but since you yourself are not staying in the dorm, I should think that, no, younger siblings may not stay there on their own. There is a separate program for siblings, but I don’t know if staying in the dorm was a requirement to be part of that program. Will your D2 take part in the sibling program? All meals (except 1 breakfast) are your own responsibility if you stay in the dorm; only some meals are included for students.</p>

<p>D2 is enrolled in the sibling program. DH and I did not want to stay in a dorm, no desire to pack all of the bedding, etc :slight_smile: I would not think that they would allow younger siblings of any age to stay in the dorm w/o parents but for some reason it just hit me to check it out. I know she would probably like to and meet others that have older siblings going into Bama. She also desires to attend Bama and follows the cheerleaders and ladies golf team. Today at the NCA Nationals Cheer competiton she texted me from her warmup area that she spotted 2 UA cheerleaders. Since she is missing church camp this year, again, just thought it might be a way to get that feel and meet others that may also be interested in attending UA in the future.</p>

<p>If she is part of the sibling program, then, yes, she will meet other siblings at BB. That’s the purpose of it, I think. It is a shame that you will/can not stay in the dorms together - it will place you in the thick of things and be way more convenient to meeting other families. Can’t convince you?! It’s only for 1-2 nights - the pay offs will be worth any uncomfortableness (and, you can probably allow your D2 a bit more freedom, knowing that you are staying ‘on campus’ with her). Since you are technically staying together, you can go off with parents, and she can go off with other siblings. Win/win. Please reconsider! :)</p>

<p>I did get lucky and we do have a room at The Capstone :). If that would not have been possible I for sure would have heavily considered staying on campus. I figured that at least being “on campus” it would give D2 a chance to be more involved as well as us being right there. Now, D1 is trying to convince me all of a sudden to change dates for her BB and go the day after HS graduation (ACK!!!). If that happens, doubt The Capstone will be available and would talk DH into staying in a dorm. Before I registered for BB she was insistent she did not want to leave that day but now she does, girls…</p>

<p>Does staying at The Capstone help for BB?</p>

<p>DH and I did not want to stay in a dorm, no desire to pack all of the bedding</p>

<p>Unless things have changed, parents are supplied with bedding if they stay in the dorms.</p>

<p>^^ That’s how it worked last year. We brought a sleeping bag and towels for D, but I was provided with linens (sheets, blanket and towels). For a fee D could have gotten linens as well.</p>

<p>My D (HS Freshman this year) and I stayed in a hotel and S (Bama student to be) stayed in RCS…we didn’t see much of each other but that was great…we droped off S at RCS and he and a few other guys he just met went to dinner (he stayed the extra night before), went to a few fraternity houses and hung out throughout Bama Bound. My D (the sibling) did the sib program which kept her busy and I did the Parent Orientation stuff…it was funny when my daughter and I were out having dinner on the strip and saw son and some of his new friends out on the strip as well…</p>

<p>Point is yes please let your student stay in the dorm whether or not you do…and the sibling orientation was great for my daughter as well, she loved it :)</p>

<p>TXMom, are you asking if your younger daughter can stay in the family side of the dorm while you stay in the hotel?</p>

<p>Of course the Bama Bound student (incoming frosh) can stay in the dorms while the parents stay elsewhere. However, a younger sibling can’t stay in the dorms w/o a parent.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks! That’s what would think is policy concerning the younger siblings.<br>
Funny thing is, if she was enrolled in the summer band camp the same week she would be in a dorm. Just would not be able to participate in the BB sibling activities. I’ll have to ask D2 which she would prefer. </p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Funny thing is, if she was enrolled in the summer band camp the same week she would be in a dorm</p>

<p>Yes, she would be, but the supervision would be more strict that way and she’d be in either Lakeside or Riverside.</p>

<p>Did you note that parents who stay in the dorms are given bedding linens? You don’t have to bring them.</p>

<p>My family all went to Bama Bound last July. DS stayed in the dorm with other students. He brought his sleeping bag, towel, etc. my DH, and soon to be high school freshman DS and high school junior DD and I all filled a suite in the other tower. They provided us with sheets, a blanket and towels, oh, a pillow too. We each got our own bedroom. The kids got to experience college dorm living. My DS made lots of friends and they all hung out in the rec room. I think it was a great choice for us to stay in the dorm. It was super clean too. Plus, we just walked to the Ferg. I liked being able to experience myself what like would be like for DS when he moved in. The beds weren’t to bad either. There was a parent gathering with coffee in the evening in the tv room on the lobby level and some of us CCers met up. Aww, go ahead and make the sacrifice for one or 2 nights, it’s worth the experience.</p>

<p>^^^^ I second Proudmama to stay in the dorm. Although you don’t share a room with your child, it still is nice to see how he/she will live when they go to Alabama. You can also “inspect” the rooms, try out the beds, and figure out what they may need when they are living there. I stayed in a dorm at orientation with my oldest at another university, and with my second for Bama Bound. I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to do it with my last in 1-1/2 years. Of course if you decide to stay in a hotel, that would be fine too as your student will be busy exploring and meeting others without you.</p>