Hotels for Bama Bound

<p>Trying to get a hotel for DH and I for parent orientation before they all book up. Has anyone stayed at the on-campus Hotel Capstone. It is currently just a few dollars more than the Hampton Inn.</p>

<p>Any thoughts on where to stay as a parent for Bama Bound? We aren’t staying at Ridgecrest for two reasons - We need to give S his space. - He has bedding for a dorm room, we don’t and I don’t want to sleep in a dorm anyway.</p>

<p>We have stayed at both. The Capstone’s value is that it is virtually on campus. Very close. A little dated but ok. I actually prefer the Hampton Inn. A little further away but there is a back road entrance to campus which is easy to navigate. Also Wings U is within walking distance (right next door!). I also get points at Hampton.</p>

<p>Just my two cents!</p>

<p>Well, if you don’t want to sleep in a dorm room, that’s one thing. We stayed in the dorms last summer and we were very comfortable. The students stay far away from where the families stay. I think in the north tower and we were in the south tower. It was very clean, private for us since there were four of us. We each got out own room and filled a suite. They provided sheets, a blanket and towels. We had to bring our own toiletries and entertainment. No tv in the room of course. My kids hung out with other siblings and had fun. I played on the computer and went to the lounge and watched tv. It was a nice stay. Of course, not luxurious, but comfy and convenient and the kids got to experience a dorm.</p>

<p>We’ve also stayed at Microtel which is on Veterans Memorial Pkwy and very convenient. It’s right next to Target and very close to the Midtown shopping area and Belks.</p>

<p>Thanks proud mama - I may have to reconsider our staying. I knew we would be in a different tower, but didn’t want S to feel like we were stalking him with a ladder on the car. (sorry a joke we have after reading “I love you forever” a few too many times.) I have a reservation at both the Capstone and Hampton right now. We stayed at the Hampton when we did the campus tour - it was a good hotel, plus free breakfast is nice.</p>

<p>Assuming my son selects Bama we will stay in the Dorm. This will give my wife a chance to better explore the campus and my daughter to more actively participate in sibling events.</p>

<p>I canceled our Hampton and booked Capstone…I did not do housing for my son. He will be there soon enough and I do not want to stay in the dorm…</p>

<p>^^^Hisess: I am not sure I understand, is your son staying at the hotel with you and not in the dorm at all? I feel that he will miss out on some serious bonding experiences and fun if he does not stay in the dorm. It is a great chance to try the whole college experience on. You certainly can choose the comfy stay at the hotel, that’s what I did.</p>

<p>We parents stayed in the dorm for BB. Our DS also stayed in the dorms and was able to meet other students as well as get a preview of the dorm experience. Because we slept in the dorm, I knew my DS would need a mattress topper! It also gave us a good view of what to pack for next year.</p>

<p>My D and I stayed in the dorms for BB last year (she in the RCS north tower with other students and I in the south tower with other parents). I was glad I chose the dorm. It was close and convenient and I enjoyed meeting the other moms who were sharing the suite. I will tell you that the mattresses were not the most comfortable, but there was a plus to that - I knew without a doubt that my D would need a mattress topper for her bed.</p>

<p>DS will be staying in the dorms. DH and I are staying in a nearby hotel. I think that the students should stay in the dorm to take full advantage of BB</p>

<p>We always stay at either the Marriott Courtyard or Fairfield Inn. They are next door to each other and always work well for us. I like to stay away from the traffic lights on MacFarland.</p>

<p>The dorm experience is priceless for our kids - they get a little taste of dorm life before housing selection begins (finding out if the Suite Life is or isn’t for them). I stayed in a hotel for DD1’s registration 3 years ago, and it was great - I got my creature comforts and she got a little freedom to meet people on her own terms and make her own decisions/mistakes. Any class registration mistakes were easily mitigated before school started in the Fall. The lessons she learned about the process and the preparations required to make the best choices were invaluable. I will be doing the same for DD2.</p>

<p>DD2 spent a week this summer on campus (in Riverside, i believe), so we already have a “must have” list for dorm shopping - although there might be some tweaking of the list once she comes back from registration.</p>

<p>BB is the first step towards independence and college life our kids take. Keeping out of the mix is the best way I can encourage DD2 to take the step and make the most of it.</p>

<p>“they get a little taste of dorm life before housing selection begins”</p>

<p>Suite/room selection will be done and dusted by the time BB comes around, I’m afraid.</p>

<p>Oops - I forgot that housing is in April! Thanks for pointing that out.</p>