Bama Bound

<p>Kid will definitely stay in the dorm. Just wondering about dad.</p>

<p>Parents can stay in dorms as well. Not the same ones as kids, but in suites with other parents…you’d have your own bedroom of course.</p>

<p>Or, you can stay in a hotel.</p>

<p>I’m going with S to Bama Bound and am looking forward to seeing the campus as dad went with him for the tour. I am also looking forward to staying in the dorms. I might be a little overprotective, but I wanted to fly in/out of Birmingham with him so we could figure out the airport together, and also figure out the transportation to/from the university to the airport. I decided not to rent a car, but will take the new bus to the university on our way there and, because we have an early flight, book the shuttle or limo back. (It would be cheaper to rent a car as this option is definitely more expensive, but I’ll at least know how this works and feel more comfortable later.) I know UA has shuttles for major breaks but have heard sometimes these don’t fit into the flight schedules. I went to the parent/student orientation for S1 at a different school and it made me fall in love with that school…I am sure I will fall in love with UA too.</p>

<p>Regarding schedules, how does our student even know what to schedule. Should they see what their major requires, or what freshman usually take. What about AP results. I know S1 met with his honors counselor during orientation and his counselor guided him…will they do that at bamabound? Also S cannot make an honors bamabound so we scheduled him for a regular session. I know he will miss some honors information, but will it also mean he wouldn’t meet with an honors counselor? Thanks</p>

<p>I think that it’s really cool that you’re taking the airport shuttle to experience how your son will travel between UA and BHM.</p>

<p>Even at the Honors Bama Bounds, the individual colleges handle course registration. Students are welcome to visit the Honors College and have someone double check their schedule, but that is optional. Students generally register for courses with the assumption that they passed their AP exams. Apart from that, registration is more matching what courses you want and need to take with course availability and scheduling.</p>

<p>kjcphmom- I think it is a great idea to take the bus and shuttle. Please post some comments after the experience. It will be a great help to parents and students who are not able to do a trial run…</p>

<p>I’m currently taking Pre-Calc at a local CC and the class transfers to Bama. How do I go about getting them to grant me credit for said course, and if I haven’t been granted credit by the time I attend Bama Bound, will I be able to sign up for a higher math course (I’m not taking the placement test as I am exempt because of the CC class)?</p>

<p>We are planning on going with the whole family. This way my younger 2 can experience the campus and dorms and we can make a family vacation of it. We are driving down.</p>

<p>JTownatp, you will need to send an official college transcript to UA once the CC posts final grades. Someone at the registrar’s office or your academic college at UA will update your UA transcript with the completed course. When registering for a higher math course at Bama Bound, you can either go by the suggested placement, take the math placement test, or show the advisor a printout of your schedule or unofficial transcript that shows that you are taking a pre-calc course at your CC.</p>

<p>Exactly what I needed to know, thanks a lot.</p>