Bama's acceptance rate on Collegeboard: 44%

<p>If this is accurate, Bama’s acceptance rate is now much more selective. I think last year’s acceptance was somewhere in the 50s.</p>

<p>Percent applicants admitted: 44%</p>

<p>Wow, that’s a big change. IIRC, it was 53 or 54% last year. I’m not surprised that it’s going down, though. When you look at the number of kids the various receptions throughout the country are attracting, it’s not at all surprising that applications are up.</p>

<p>Wow, that’s really amazing to see! I doubt many other schools dropped 10% in a year.</p>

<p>This needs to added to UA marketing materials as it would dispel some of the unease some of students feel considering UA.</p>

<p>I think this will help Bama move up in the rankings again.</p>

<p>Agreed. While acceptance rate is only 1.5% of the equation, one would have to think the other related admissions stats (which count for 15%) would be affected.</p>

<p>[Methodology:</a> Undergraduate Ranking Criteria and Weights - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2011/09/12/methodology-undergraduate-ranking-criteria-and-weights-2012]Methodology:”>http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2011/09/12/methodology-undergraduate-ranking-criteria-and-weights-2012)</p>

<p>Do you know if everything has been updated, or just acceptance rate?</p>

<p>I find this interesting. So many people have asked my D why she isn’t going to our state flagship, Ohio State, if she is choosing a large, state school. College Board shows that OSU’s admitted rate is 63%. Would that mean that it’s harder to get into Bama? I have no clue if it means that Bama is better than OSU academically, but my D would have received only a couple of thousand dollars per year in merit money to attend OSU.</p>

<p>What year are those numbers for? Fall of 2011 admission? Sorry if that is a silly question, I still don’t know how all of these numbers work!</p>

<p>No, it doesn’t mean that Bama is harder to get into. It does mean that Bama’s nationwide visibility is improving and as such more prospective students are applying for a fairly constant number of spots thereby reducing the acceptance rate. As a byproduct of more applicants, Bama can afford to be more selective.</p>

<p>To compare difficulty in gaining admission, compare the SAT/ACT section and the class rank percentiles under ‘at a glance’.</p>

<p>I find this interesting. So many people have asked my D why she isn’t going to our state flagship, Ohio State, if she is choosing a large, state school. College Board shows that OSU’s admitted rate is 63%. ** Would that mean that it’s harder to get into Bama? ** I have no clue if it means that Bama is better than OSU academically, but my D would have received only a couple of thousand dollars per year in merit money to attend OSU.</p>

<p>For every 100 apps Bama gets, Bama now rejects 66…and 44 get accepted.</p>

<p>For every 100 apps that OSU gets, OSU rejects 37…and 63 get accepted.</p>

<p>“A student with a 21 ACT or 1000 SAT [critical reading and math scores only] along with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 should be successful at the University.” from the UA admissions website</p>

<p>IMO, this is not a very high admissions hurdle, yet I feel confident that the MINIMUM standards will increase at some point in the near future, given the dramatic decrease in the acceptance rate and the diminishing space on campus (aside from Bryce, which will take years to develop).</p>

<p>Let’s face it, high achieving students and their parents generally prefer to attend schools with some selecitivity. It is hard to believe that the avg. SAT on the College Board site represents Fall 2011 numbers at UA given the steep decline in the acceptance rate. UA has not updated its common data set in a year, and the factbook in two years. Very strange. The trend has been signficant increases in avg. ACT, SAT, etc. since Witt arrived, but UA seems a little apprehensive about sharing that info as quickly as other schools. </p>

<p>Clearly, UA is having great success in recruiting some of the top students in the nation. I suspect though that if it raised the admissions MINIMUM standard just a bit, it would have a big effect on the the high school students of Alabama, motivating them to take college prep classes and to raise their entrance exam scores. Just my two cents. UA’s success might be even more dramatic if it expected a bit more from applicants. Regardless, I am glad that so many have not been put off by the less than stringent admissions standards. UA must have looked into this and calculated that it is not hurting application growth among the top notch students round the nation.</p>

<p>IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System) is a division of the Department of Education and has all kinds of data on colleges. The link to the 2011 admissions data confirms the 44% admission rate, along with SAT & ACT ranges [College</a> Navigator - The University of Alabama](<a href=“College Navigator - The University of Alabama”>College Navigator - The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Studies have shown that cinderella teams that do well in the March Madness teams see an increase in applications. A little different but maybe due to Bama’s 2010 and 2012 football success, they are seeing an increase in applications.</p>

<p>Great Link RobD…interesting read, and does show that the SAT/ACT is climbing at UA!</p>

<p>I love IPEDS. Format is exact from school to school so no scrambling and unlike the Common Data Set there is data for every school.</p>

<p>Actually, a comparison of the College Board data Mom referenced with that of IPEDS, reveals different ranges of the SAT scores. UA’s SAT range is better in the IPEDS than in the College Board’s. Also, UA’s SAT range is now superior to AU’s according to IPEDS, though not by much. AU still has the superior ACT range, but given the much larger student population at UA, there are just as many if not more top scoring students at UA, if not as high of a percentage of them.</p>

<p>UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS FALL 2011</p>

<p>…TOTAL …MALE…FEMALE
Number of applicants …22,136…9,608… 12,528
Percent admitted…44%…44%…43%
Percent admitted who enrolled…60%…61%… 59%</p>

<p>Correction: For some reason, AU’s SAT range data on IPEDS has not been updated. When I looked at <a href=“BigFuture College Search”>BigFuture College Search, I see that AU has a superior SAT range, but UA’s is improved from last fall. </p>

<p>However, it is still true that UA’s much larger freshman class means that the number (though not percentage) of top notch students who enroll at UA is just as large if not larger than that enrolled at AU.</p>

<p>Collegeboard has redesigned its website for colleges. </p>

<p>i think it’s odd that it lists T-town as a small city. I don’t think it’s a “small city.” It’s not a really big city, but it’s not a small city.</p>