Battle for Georgia: UGA (Morehead Honors College) vs Emory

And both UGA and GaTech (and all GA Public) have to follow GA Board of Regents’ mandate to include the big percentage of GA students. That is not the case for private Emory that we are comparing to in this thread.
The acceptance rate (in general for in-state and out-of-state) for UGA is significantly higher than at GaTech and Emory. That is why I disagree with the statement above that level of students is the same at UGA and Emory in general. I do not think there is open statistics between UGA Honors vs. Emory. However, I know for a fact that nobody cares (including students) about Honors at GaTech as all students are very competitive, including the ones playing sports, and there are very few benefits for Honors there. I guess Honors is the big thing at UGA.

They are both very good schools academically, maybe slight edge to Emory for prestige. My senior felt Emory was too dry, the lack of spectator sports was an issue for her. The campus seemed quiet. Our tour guide said everyone at Emory is a nerd at heart. Just one student’s perspective but that was all it took for my kid to lose interest.

2 Likes

deleted

Stay on topic please.

To be clear, the choice is between Emory University and the University of Georgia Morehead Honors College.

OP: Make a list of the benefits accorded to UGA Honors College students as they should be significant.

These two universities offer very different undergraduate experiences. My best guess is that the quality of student in UGA Honors College will be equal to or a touch superior to the typical Emory undergraduate.

The campus cultures are Northeast liberal versus large Southern public school honors college which leans moderate. Greater diversity at UGA despite the high percentage of Georgia residents.

Some consider a large public university honors college as the best of both worlds due to small class sizes combined with the benefits of attending a large university (greater academic & social options).

Why did your daughter apply to Emory ?

Why did your daughter apply to the University of Georgia ?

To which other schools did she apply ?

2 Likes

This. And from what has been written, this student wants to attend UGA. I think it needs to be remembered…the student will be at this college for four years. She should go where she thinks she will be happy. Happy students do better than unhappy ones.

I’m curious why this student accepted the waitlist option at Emory. It sounds like the student really wants UGA, and will be happy there. And the honors college will bump it up!

Congratulations to this student.

3 Likes

It may be of interest to note that standardized test scores are required for admission to the University of Georgia Honors College while Emory University was test optional this cycle and recent prior application cycles.

2 Likes

What is the student thinking? When does Emory need an answer?

she accepted the Emory wait list in the 1st place basically because of family ties to Emory.
Emory gave her basically 1 day to decide. she declined and is sticking with UGA.

17 Likes

Sounds like she is happy and made the right decision.

1 Like

Congrats to your D on her decision!

And with that update, closing the thread.

3 Likes