BB course question dilemma

Hello!

As I was attempting to put together my schedule in MyBama I came into a dilemma…the available courses for physics 1 and chem 2 are remaining with difficult professors that have a notoriety on RateMyProffessor for being tough to get a passing grade in…It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong on this) that UA is cracking down on “jockeying” (switching sections just for a different professor) and wait list opportunities. I am concerned that if I go into BB and end up in one of these classes I may end up in a struggle to keep my GPA up my first year and jeopardize my scholarships. I guess my question is this…

As a chemE major coming in with 40 credit hours towards my degree, would it be wise to consider putting off physics 1 and chem 2 until my second semester of freshman year when I can use my honors college and sophomore status to get increase priority for a better teacher? In return my first semester would still consist of the regular engineering classes (ENGR 111 and 103) and the rest would be filled with electives and humanities to finish requirements of my degree. As I have it planned out I still believe I have enough room to graduate in 4 years with this plan.

If there is any chance to take physics 1 and chem 2 with a better professor (even though they’re filled right now) I will be grateful to listen to any suggestions. I wanted to post here before talking to an adviser because I am not sure how understanding they would be with me having concerns with certain professors…any insight and help will be appreciated. Roll Tide!

No reason to take the “killer” professors unless you have to. Sounds like you have plenty of other courses to fill your first semester schedule, so trust your instincts on this.

My EE son took physics his first semester, and engineering 103 and Chemistry his second. Worked well for him. It might be a good idea to think of splitting these up so you aren’t taking them at the same time.

Since those are classes many freshmen take, they will be adding a few seats at each Bama Bound. You will almost certainly be able to get a different professor in at least one of them. I highly recommend taking either chem or physics your first semester. Even if you don’t have to, it will let you use some of those non-engineering classes later to make a particularly rough semester more managable.

Yes, what @springy179 said is true - new sections of some courses (but not all!) will become available immediately prior to each Bama Bound registration session. So check for open sections the night before (or the morning of) your scheduled registration session, and adjust your schedule accordingly.

I would advise you to have several options prepared. DS went in w/ a"schedule" and didn’t get a single class he had planned on.

He stated it was fast and furious and just trying to get a spot that worked w/ the other classes became the main criteria.

I know some of the classes DS was looking at never did open any spots after BB.

Just to let you know to go in and make the best of it and you will find a workable schedule.