beaches

<p>anywhere with good waves to surf near miami?</p>

<p>does anyone surf there?</p>

<p>surfing is overall bad in any of the beaches near miami. you’d have to go up the coast or up to the panhandle/west coast of florida for any legit surfing. occasionally you get good waves at the beaches when storms/hurricanes are coming (which is rly rare)</p>

<p>They aren’t great waves, but people do surf on South Beach, at the very end (it’s called South Pointe).</p>

<p>so i shouldnt bring my board down then huh?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say that… you can surf, it’s just not terribly good surfing. Also, as someone mentioned, there’s great surfing prior to a hurricane. During a hurricane you always see everyone evacuating - along with a few cars driving in with surfboards strapped to their roofs. Around the time that a hurricane watch is instituted you could head out and get some good waves, then a few hours after the hurricane warning return to the dorms and buckle down. At least this is basically what I used to do with my boogie board when I lived in Fort Lauderdale as a kid… Or, in the optimal case where a hurricane is skirting around the edge of the state and heading up north you could surf for a few days :slight_smile: Even down here in the keys, where our biggest wave makes a bathtub look like a series of tsunamis, we get good waves during hurricanes.</p>

<p>Actually, they may now close the beach within the 36hour period before a hurricane when the watch is instituted. But it doesn’t hurt to try :)</p>

<p>yeah ill bring it as long as the waves are just rideable so thats good to hear.</p>

<p>I’ll be right there with you bud. Not sure if I’m bringing my board down though. Kind of want to hear about how many people surf at the school, maybe there’s some sort of club or group?</p>

<p>there is a surf club. im not sure how intense it is…but there is information online about it. i think if you google “umiami surf rider” you should get something</p>

<p>thats good maybe we can make a trip up a little further north to some of the better waves</p>