Being black and having a school with low diversity as a top choice

<p>Mad, how do you think we should go about this?</p>

<p>Family, church & community (including schools).</p>

<p>Parents need to get serious about academics and many do. The challenge is that we still choose neighborhoods where most of the people look like us, where the homes look nice then how nice the schools are. We should put schools first.</p>

<p>For those trapped in a bad situation especially and everyone else, I say the answer is to read, read and read to your kids. Cell phones, video games, tv, clothes, jewelry and movies are a waste of time and money </p>

<p>No one person can know it all. A church and community can hold far more info and resources to help kids - parents need to promote this. Parents need to be involved in schools and schools need to recognize the struggles some parents face and find ways to include them.</p>

<p>I know my answers are Pollyanna sounding. It’s one kid at a time. It’s sad that Obsma hasn’t really pushed this. The stupid eat right campaign should’ve been more about educational excellence, IMHO.</p>

<p>The issue we are finding is that even though you find a college with a steady number of AAs, it does not mean you will have much contact with them. On a recent visit, my husband and child spoke with an AA student after a tour. He told them that a LARGE percentage of the AA students at the school were athletes (as was he) and generally hung out with members of their teams. The result was that there was not a lot of interaction between the minorities. They knew or knew OF one another, but did not get much time together as the athletes were living a very different life. Because they had their team members, and AA friends within that group, they were often not motivated to make the time to go to AA sponsored events for the general population.</p>

<p>I say this to say…it is important to visit the schools (if possible), talk to students, etc. In the end, you will find friends. YES, it would be nice to have a strong black support network or friends, but it cannot be guaranteed based on numbers alone. As my husband says, the higher up you go, the fewer of us you often see. The hope is that those you do see will support one another.</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>Racially isolated schools do not become diverse without minority students willing to take the chance and enroll. I personally don’t think you should use diversity (lack of) as the only reason to write-off a school. Let’s be serious, I hope you wouldn’t use diversity to write-off a career or profession. Apply and then see if the school meets your top goals.</p>

<p>It isn’t the only criteria but it is important to know that there are a limited number of people who have a similar background. My undergrad university had about 6% to 10% AA. It was a decent amount and was typical of what I had seen in high school and later in the professional environment.</p>

<p>Having enough students to hang out in the yard, and having at least two choices of black fraternities or sororities should be a reachable hurdle. BTW, I’m not greek but I use that for illustrative purposes. In fact, if you look at Penn or a few of the Ivys, that have Alpha, AKA, and Delta chapters so that’s pretty nice.</p>

<p>momneeds- Prop 209 put a stop to AA. I am friends with the a high up in admissions at a UC and according to this person, the holistic approach is used after the algorithm has been exhausted.</p>

<p>Agree with Frugaldoctor 100%.</p>

<p>You college experience will be what you make of it, by far. If you hate the location, the dorms, the food, or just hate being far away from home, having a large proportion of Blacks in the student body won’t necessarily make you overlook the shortcomings of the campus.</p>

<p>The goal of college should be to go out on a limb, discover yourself and by all means enjoy yourself.</p>