Being Jewish

<p>@feenotype - no Noshville has actually opened a second location in nearby Franklin. I think of Noshville as more of a kosher restaurant. Great latkes. I am refering to Goldie’s off West End.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In that case, consider this:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Source: [ISJL</a> : Digital Archive : Tuscaloosa, Alabama](<a href=“http://www.isjl.org/history/archive/al/tuscaloosa.html]ISJL”>http://www.isjl.org/history/archive/al/tuscaloosa.html)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Source: [Emory</a> Confronts Bias Against Jews; E-Pal Dinner In The Sukkah - Birmingham Jewish Federation](<a href=“http://www.bjf.org/daily-updates/474-emory-confronts-bias-against-jews-e-pal-dinner-in-the-sukkah.html]Emory”>http://www.bjf.org/daily-updates/474-emory-confronts-bias-against-jews-e-pal-dinner-in-the-sukkah.html)</p>

<p>FWIW.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, on the surface.</p>

<p>But go a level deeper and it gets more complicated.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Exactly.</p>

<p>I would never presume to tell you or your mother what to do.
And I know close to nothing about U of Alabama other than Joe Namath played football there.</p>

<p>But, I’ll tell you, when I was heading to live overseas for the first time and I told my mother where I was going, she asked: “(Country X)!? Isn’t that an anti-Sematic country?” I said, “Mom, every country is anti-Sematic.”</p>

<p>Moral: there is no state or university free of anti-Semitism. Nature of the world.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Sadly, I agree with you Golffather. There is no where that bias does not exist in some form. Anti-Semitism, Anti-Ameircan, Anti-Islamic, Anti-Black, Anti-Female, Anti-Hispanic. The list goes on. This is true in the NYC, Tuscaloosa, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, London, and Paris. </p>

<p>I wish it were not true. I can only answer for myself and try to love everyone and treat everyone the same and to not “catagorize” people.<br>
I also have tried to raise my child to think the same. I also choose to not associate with those who let hate rule their heart.</p>

<p>The OP asked “Is there a decent amount of jews, would i get bullied, or will everybody be at church when I am sitting alone in my room.”</p>

<p>It’s been established that there is a Jewish community in Tuscaloosa and on campus. I have never been to UA, but I think I can safely say that it’s highly unlikely he will be bullied on the the basis of his Jewish faith. I’ve never heard of any incidence of anti-semitism on campus, and to the contrary, there is evidence that UA has historically been very friendly to Jews. I don’t know how many UA students go to church on any give Sunday, but I suspect that it’s a relatively small percentage. </p>

<p>The OP and his mother appear to be concerned that he would be in a hostile, anti-semitic environment. From what I’ve read here from people that are very familiar with the university, that wouldn’t be the case.</p>

<p>The OP asked “… or will everybody be at church when I am sitting alone in my room.”</p>

<p>I don’t know the % of kids who go to church on Sunday morning, but even if it’s half (not likely that high), that certainly doesn’t mean that a non-church-goer is sitting alone in his room. </p>

<p>First of all, a large number of kids sleep in on weekends…it’s not unusual to see little activity on a Sat or Sun morning on campus because too many are still sleeping.</p>

<p>Secondly, those who go to Sun morn church aren’t gone all day. They go to their hour-long service, maybe then eat, and then go about the rest of their day. The image that a non-church-goer would be alone in his room all day while the church-goers are “at church” just wouldn’t happen. </p>

<p>I imagine that non-church-goers who have church-going friends simply plan their activities around that commitment (maybe meet for brunch after church service is over)…just as someone who plays intramurals plans time with non-sporty friends around that commitment. </p>

<p>ack!! I typed a “q” instead of a “g”…lol. oh my. “misquided” ugh!</p>

<p>Jamo, if mom wants Emory or Tulane (btw, what do You want?), but your grades aren’t at that level, there are other good choices in the South. Spend some time reading the Jewish B Students thread in the parents section.</p>

<p>I’m curious why he is targeting southern schools, and UA in particular. If we know what his criteria are, we could be more helpful on other options if he or his mother feel that UA isn’t suitable.</p>

<p>The focus of this thread is how it would feel to be a Jewish student at UA, not a political discussion about Israel or the conflict in the middle east. While that is an interesting discussion, it’s probably not pertinent to either UA or to CC. I’m not a moderator, but I suspect this type of thing will lead to the thread being closed as it is potentially inflammatory topic.</p>

<p>I believe that comment that was made about evangelicals being typically supportive of Israel was intended to reassure that the OP would not likely be bullied by that group. I don’t feel that discussing that statement beyond this is helpful to the OP or to UA. </p>

<p>If this thread is intended to help the OP with his college decision, or contribute information about attending UA that will help other students, then posting discussions beyond that won’t serve its purpose. I am not associated with UA at all, but please keep in mind that this is the UA thread.</p>

<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE: Pennylane’s post is correct. I have deleted a few posts. Please stay on topic and avoid potentially controversial discussions.</p>

<p>I’m curious why he is targeting southern schools, and UA in particular. If we know what his criteria are, we could be more helpfu</p>

<p>I don’t know, but maybe the interest is the big scholarships. If the family doesn’t care about the scholarships and will pay whatever’s required, then that’s one thing. If this student may not end up with affordable options, then it may become a problem if his family won’t let him attend what may be his only affordable choice.</p>

<p>The SUNY schools are affordable and Buffalo, Albany, Binghamton, Geneseo, ESF, and Stony Brook are all pretty good. I’m sure that they all have a large number of Jewish students too if that’s an important consideration.</p>

<p>Let me just clear this up, ok. First thing is I am a girl. The next thing the money is not the issue, and I do not want to go to a suny school. I want a southern school with b grades, and I particulary do not care about there being a large amount of jews, but I made this post because I just don’t know. I don’t know anything about Alabama, religion wise, and was interested in what people would say. Am i a constant temple goer and kosher eater, no. But I just wanted input, I know that I would not be bullied, or be alone in my room, it was an exageration, but my mother just says that stuff and I just wanted to know if it was true. I was trying to gather up information to try to convince her that Alabama was not going to be like that. She doesn’t want me to go to Alabama, yes it is not entirely up to her but right now she is paying for it, so it is what it is. The comments about the choosen people and Israel was uncalled for, but I didn’t think this thread was going to get out of hand. The Jews is more of my family, I am trying to make them and me happy. Suny’s are pretty good, but its time for me to get out of new york and start experiancing a different lifestyle. Particulary, I want to go to the South. I am jewish and faith is important but Alabama seems like it would be a good fit just by the input helpful others had given me, and now I am not completely clueless like I was going into here. So thank you all, Jamoboo</p>

<p>I think that most people who target Alabama do so for specific reasons. Many are initially attracted by the generous scholarship programs</p>

<p>If you’ll indulge me, why the south and why Alabama, particularly if it’s a place you were clueless about and where you presumed you might be bullied and isolated?</p>

<p>[A+</a> Schools for B Students | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/a-plus]A+”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/a-plus)</p>

<p>This might be helpful. Maybe it’s how you became aware of UA?</p>

<p>Alabama as a state has a long and interesting history of Jewish immigration, specifically, the great “brain drain” prior to and during world war II. If you do some research you will find a great deal of fascinating history dealing with the German Jewish rocket scientists who settled there. I went to college with a number of girls who were from an area that everyone called “Little Israel”, I’m assuming it was near Huntsville. Because there are areas like this in Alabama, it stands to reason that many of them attend the University of Alabama.</p>

<p>Jamoboo</p>

<p>As the strong independent woman you seem to be, you will do well at Alabama or any other southern school. I hope you can take a tour of our many fine institutions with your family. My top three choice of schools in the SEC that may fit your need for southern hospitality, B student and football spirit would be Alabama, Tennessee and maybe Florida. Each have a hillel on campus.</p>

<p>The concerns that Jamoboo’s mother has are not unique to Jews. They are the same for anyone of any cultural group and are "will my child be accepted there? Will she be happy? . She wants you to be in a tolerant place. </p>

<p>She’s also a mom- like me- and sending a child away to an unknown place is scary. She’s speaking from fear. the kind of fear every mom has- and I would bet that even when you went out on a bicycle for the first time- she was afraid you would fall, get hurt, or something- even if the chance of that happening is low. She worried everytime you got a fever even if it was just a virus. This time though, she won’t be there with you. Alabama is a long way from NY, and even if the likelyhood of you being bullied might be less than you breaking a leg the first time out on a bike- a mom will have fears.</p>

<p>Alabama has recently been noticed for generous merit aid which has increased the number of good students. With merit aid, the cost of attendance can rival in-state tuition in other states. When this happens, a school will begin to attract students from out of state- which tends to increase the diversity in a school. When diversity and academics increase, many more students- of all backgrounds- including Jewish students- begin to look more closely at attending such a school. The academic reputation of Alabama is spreading and students who would not likely have considered it years ago are seriously looking at it now. From what I’ve read, there is a lot to like.</p>

<p>Jamoboo, the choice also involves you and your mom. The college decision is not an easy time, but it can be a wonderful time. It is also a time of great anxiety- as the entire application process involves almost a year of waiting, and wondering about a future that is mostly unknown. It’s a huge transition for parent and child, a finality in a way. You’re leaving home and that’s hard for a mom. It’s your giant step to adulthood while still being financially dependent and emotionally tied to your parents. It is emotional. A college choice invoves being rational about majors, test scores, costs- but it includes the emotional connection known as “fit”, and that includes student and parent.</p>

<p>It does not matter where mom has her fears from- the point is that she has them and she deserves to have them addressed in a respectul manner. A student’s thoughtful inquiry to a school also deserves respect. This thread can be of service to them both by providing some factual information about the school and hopefully anectdotes from students attending UA of any background who could speak for how they feel accepted at UA. Getting into assumptions or their personal reasons won’t help them.</p>

<p>Sometimes the college process between student and parent gets so emotional that it is difficult for each one to communicate and navigate together. In this case, a college admissions counselor can help the negotiations ( I am not one ). An objective adult can help advocate for your choices, support parents emotionally, and lead you both to a college choice that everyone can agree on. You are making a good inquiry into finding a match college for you. I encourage you to continue and hope you find the best fit for you both.</p>

<p>It’s not exactly a school for “B” students, but Vanderbilt might be acceptable to the student’s mom if she can get accepted.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.vanderbilt.edu/hillel/[/url]”>http://www.vanderbilt.edu/hillel/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;