Being Jewish

<p>Yeah, I was looking at Vanderbuilt, but my grades are not there. Florida would be a good choice, I should look into that, but the school size of florida is like 50,000( i am guessing), which is way too large for me to handle. I guess it is right that maybe my mom just doesn’t want me to go so far, and would rather me stay in a 5 hour radius from home, but it is my life and I worked hard in school so it should be my decision. And Tenessee… don’t really know about that one.</p>

<p>Since your mom approved of Emory and Tulane, it appears that maybe it’s okay for you to go to school in the south provided the school is in a big city and it’s not too far from home? If that’s the case, perhaps you can find a compromise?</p>

<p>How about the University of Richmond? It’s a good school in a large city and it’s only about 5.5 hrs from NYC.</p>

<p>It’s very hard to get into Florida from OOS…besides, I think the deadline was Nov 1.</p>

<p>University of Richmond and James Madison might be schools that fit the southern (although JMU has more of a mid-Atlantic feel) and 5.5 hours from home criteria.</p>

<p>In FL maybe look at Rollins? Not sure how active, but they have a Hillel. In NC maybe look at Elon? Appear to have an active Hillel.</p>

<p>Univ of Tennessee is a slightly smaller in size than Alabama. Knoxville is much larger than Tuscaloosa. There is a major airport in Knoxville which will make going home easier. Go to <a href=“http://www.Youniversitytv.com%5B/url%5D”>www.Youniversitytv.com</a> and check out the videos of the schools you are looking at. They were very helpful for my S when he was narrowing down his choices. I graduated from UT if you have any questions.</p>

<p>One note about YouniversityTV. The tuition rates for many schools are outdated. Check the school website for current rates. But it is a great way to “tour” a school without leaving home.</p>

<p>My grandparents live in Florida… so I know it is far but it thats why it would be ok. Jmu, not really interested. Grade wise, Richmond seems a bit high. Ut? Is that University of Texas, and tell me about that. I think she likes emory because of its location in a big city and Tulane, she personally loves it because she loves New Orleans. And I looked into Rollins, but I have heard it had a “rich” population, I don’t if that is exactly true. Bama, seems just right still, but maybe a compromise might work, maybe Tennessee. I have to look that one up, and people have told me SMU is not really religiously affiliated, but I do not know if that is true.</p>

<p>What about ACC schools like Clemson, Wake Forest, NC State, or Virginia Tech? Or how about Washington and Lee, or William and Mary?</p>

<p>We’re shooting in the dark without knowing what your qualifications and interests are.</p>

<p>Are you a HS senior? If so, it’s kind of late in the game to be starting this process.</p>

<p>Jamoboo, you also posted asking about Baylor. I’m in Texas, Dallas. Many friends from Baylor and my sis went to Baylor. My oldest daughter will be attending Alabama next fall and was also accepted in Baylor with a scholarship offer. If you are looking for the school with a more diverse group of students and staff, Alabama hands down!!! I think your mother would be shocked to see and find out that the South is a lot more diverse and accepting than most realize. </p>

<p>One interesting tidbit, don’t know about where you live…but in the South, neighborhoods are more diverse. You won’t find neighborhoods segregated by religious groups like one will in the Northeast. </p>

<p>If you really want your mom to open up more to UA, see about getting a group you are both familiar with and organize a trip to visit. See if she will go if you are willing to comprise as well. If you all go visit and mom still feels uncomfortable after the visit, ask her what school the 2 of you should go visit together next. Mom might change her mind on a school she thought was more fit for you. That happened with my D and myself after we visited a few schools she was interested in. I feel in love with one that had been at the top of her list and it dropped on hers. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Back in the 1920s, UA advertised in Northern newspapers that it didn’t have any quotas and that Jews were accepted. This actually caused a cultural conflict between Jews who had lived in the South for generations and those who recently came from the Northeast. Part of the semi-autobiographical book Mud on the Stars details this.</p>

<p>The Publix supermarket near campus actually has a larger selection of Jewish food than it does Mexican food and has sales on Jewish food around the time of Jewish holidays. Much of the food UA serves does not contain pork even if the traditional Southern recipe calls for pork. </p>

<p>I apologize for not being more familiar with your mom’s concerns as my college search focused on experiencing more of the diversity that this great country has to offer. I was actually surprised to find so many Jewish people in Alabama as I come from a region where, despite sizable pockets of Jewish people, religion is generally considered to be a private matter and isn’t discussed in polite company. My first experience of Jewish culture was from watching Rugrats on Nickelodeon. </p>

<p>I don’t know how to get your mom to change her mind other than trying to get close relatives involved in convincing her that UA is the school for you.</p>

<p>Oh, sorry I should be more specific. I am a junior, btw. Also NC state I was maybe considering but the other ACC schools seem way too difficult. I am interested in majoring in Business, and have a 88 weighted GPA. I am currently taking honors chemistry, but that is my only challenging course. Have not taking my SAT yet, but I am trying to be more realistic, and NC State would probably be more of a safety for me, I’m guessing. The hardest school I might apply to is UNC- Wilmington. Yeah, I want to go there. My top two at the moment I want to visit is Bama, and UNC- Wilmington. I need to learn more about University of Tennessee.</p>

<p>As far as I know, the Hillel at Bama is more active than the ones at NCSU and UNC-Wilmington. </p>

<p>NCSU has a small Hillel that is shared with UNC-CH. Because of that, many of the activities are at UNC-CH, which is a bit of a drive for a NCSU student. </p>

<p>If you are considering NC, Elon has a relatively large and active Hillel. As far as I know, it is the largest besides Duke and UNC. Elon is building a multifaith center as part of a diversity initiative, and it will house a brand new Hillel. As a private school, Elon is able to support multifaith activities. Elon is not in a major city, but it is close to Greensboro which has a large and active Jewish community. It has a business school. I think it would be a good match for your interests.</p>

<p>App State is one to watch. It has a business school. The Boone community just built a beautiful new temple and is supportive to the campus Hillel there. I expect that Hillel to grow.</p>

<p>Considering your interests and needs, Bama, Elon, and App State are better "fits’ than UNC-W and NCSU.</p>

<p>Another school in the south with an active Hillel and business is College of Charleston. Clemson does not have an active Hillel as far as I know. </p>

<p>Another college to watch is High Point University. It has a business school. The Jewish population is small, but there may be opportunities to attend activities in nearby Greensboro.</p>

<p>My daughter told me yesterday that two of her friends from NY are going to High Point. I had never heard of it before. Appalachian State is supposed to be a good school. Has Ole’ Miss come up? I don’t much about it but Oxford is a nice town and the campus is beautiful. Anyway, you have a pretty good list of schools to investigate. </p>

<p>Maybe you and your mom could do a tour of the south this summer and visit some targeted schools. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>If you have any specific about Tennessee, I will be glad to answer them or try to find the answer for you. Bloomberg’s rank UT’s business program as 60th in the nation and 26th among public universities. In 2009, they opened a new $40 million business college building.</p>

<p>I also seem to remember that there is a temple just a few miles from campus.</p>

<p>Compared to 'Bama, Ole Miss does not have a significantly sized or active Hillel. According to Hillel, there are approximately 600 Jewish students at Bama, and none are reported at Ole Miss. These numbers don’t always reflect the activity of the Hillel clubs, and one has to check out the Hillels personally to see how active they are. However, they are useful as a comparison point. Academically, 'Bama’s is more selective and has higher admission standards. Ole Miss admits 79% of applicants. Alabama admits 44%. In recent years, "Bama’s generous merit scholarships have attracted many National Merit Semifinalists and other top students.</p>

<p>The UT Hillel Director at Knoxville Jewish Alliance is actually a best buddy of mine for many years. She is a lovely person and I know would be delighted to help you with any information you may require. We credit her with UT’s final win this season as she was the one giving the convocation that day. PM me if you would like to get in touch. She has a very active presence on campus and in the community.</p>

<p>How long has there been a Hillel at UA?</p>

<p>Founded at Alabama in 1934, Hillel has been a welcoming home for Jewish students,
their friends and those interested in meeting new people ever since. Our students
come from all over and are leaders in a wide variety of organizations across
campus. We welcome new members to Hillel throughout the year and are delighted
that our “family” continues to grow. If you are planning a visit to The University of
Alabama and want to visit Hillel as well as organize a campus tour, please contact us at bamahillel@**********. We will be happy to help you with this!</p>

<p>How many Jewish students are there on campus?</p>

<p>There are over 700 Jewish students at Alabama, and we are growing
every year!</p>

<p>How is Hillel connected to the University community?</p>

<p>Bama Hillel is a 501(c3) non-profit organization and is the Jewish Student Center. Hillel
is integrated into the University of Alabama community through its dynamic programs,
co-sponsored events, and the involvement of our active students in many other
university groups. The University is very supportive of Hillel and its role on campus and
works with Hillel to provide a welcoming atmosphere for Jewish students, faculty, and
families.</p>

<p>Can prospective students visit Alabama and stay overnight
with a Jewish student?</p>

<p>You bet! The best way to get a sense of the Alabama experience is to visit
our incredible campus. Hillel can help arrange for prospective students to stay
overnight with a student. To arrange a tour and information session with Alabama’s
admissions office, click here.* Prospective students who wish to visit Hillel, speak with Jewish students and/or attend a Hillel program should email us at bamahillel at gmail dot com</p>

<p>Contact us at 205-348-2183 or bamahillel at gmail dot com</p>

<p>^That sounds like a very nice Hillel.</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind is that college admissions and academic standards can change over time. Some schools are very different now than when I was applying.</p>

<p>One example is Elon. A while back, Elon was a small Christian college. It’s been a school that has been rising academically and increasing diversity and is becoming well known. Muhlenberg is also a Lutheran school that has increased in diversity to the point that it has a large Jewish population.</p>

<p>I’ve learned a lot about colleges through CC. I’ve also learned that, in addition to researching the school, the college visit is the best way to get a feel for what being at that school is like. I have not been to UA, but from what I have read, I think UA is one that has also evolved over the past few years. I hope you and your mom will get the chance to visit the schools you are interested in.</p>

<p>We are from RI and my son just finished his first semester. I was also concerned that there would not be any other Jewish people at UA. We visited in January and I had contacted the Hillel prior. They invited us to dinner. It was wonderful. They just built a new Hillel building and right behind it is a new temple, connected by a courtyard. It is very nice. My son has attended most of their activities and I truly believe it helped him form a connection. We had already fallen in love with the beautiful campus with the gorgeous Greek revival buildings with double winding staircases, and the warmth of everyone we met. I am very comfortable having my son there, even though he is 1200 miles away. The only way you will win your mother over is by convincing her to visit. Good luck!</p>

<p>Jamoboo … I’ll make the offer again if you want to PM me, I can put you in touch with my D. She is currently VP of the Exec Board of the Hillel and a paid intern. She was also the student representative who attended the regional recruitment event in Atlanta for Jewish families. As you know the Jewish community is diverse and the students at UA come from many backgrounds, some more Conservative and some much more Reformed. But suffice it to say that the weekly Shabbat gatherings and Hillel events are well attended by a good core of students … and … I can tell you that my D has met ZERO negative backlash to her being Jewish. As a matter of fact, it has been on occasion the source of intellectual debate (not in a negative way). She also likes to go to “The Well” at Calvary Baptist on occasion with her friends because it’s ministry specific to Students and the issues they face on a day to day basis … it is modern, has live music, and it’s fun socially. So … if the VP of Hillel can attend, mix, and mingle with her friends and be accepted at Calvary Baptist Student programming, you can see that the culture of inclusion is alive and well at UA. Roll Tide!!!</p>