Best and worst about University of Miami

<p>Yeah
Miami has pros like the academics are actually pretty strong here! Despite its rankings.
But...as a transfer and starting over freshman (cuz i'm in teh music school) I already am taken aback by the snottiness of the people here. It's UNBELIEVABLE how superficial it is. Now, having said this, there are nice people who are superficial, but most are just vapid and drinking whores (or whores in general.)</p>

<p>I am thinking of transferring...YET AGAIN...because of this, but there are definitely good people here. You just have to work really hard to find them!</p>

<p>Jeremy, I thought you had decided to stay at Tulane since Miami didn't give much finaid?
I promise I'm not a stalker, I just lurk the boards entirely too much.</p>

<p>I think he transfered</p>

<p>Jeremy - you may want to consider a state school...that is where my son is transferring to.</p>

<p>Hey to all haha
I actually managed to get them to fork over a lot in grants! I KNEW they had the money in there somewhere lol
But...it's just not a very enjoyable school. I am starting to try to enjoy different aspects. Make new friends. Try new things .But, I don't think this should be a permanent endeavor (i mean, not that college in general is anyways! haha)
I think that if I do transfer, I want to go to a school with good academics, CHEAP TUITION, and nice, down to earth people (as a whole--stereotypically speaking, because U of M is the last place i'd ever want to look for that...and that bothers me)
And though the academics are better than at tulane (professors are better, all around,) I still am not content with it here.</p>

<p>I think you should give UM a little bit more of a chance. Starting a new school is always an adjustment and especially as a transfer it can sometimes be difficult. My D didn't feel at all comfortable with her college until her second semester there. A school of 9000+ undergraduates has to have more diversity than you might think at first. Don't make quick judgments on people. Of course, if you have a problem with finances, that is another situation.</p>

<p>how is the broadcast journalism program at UM, i turned in my EA application on halloween. i am from socal, i have family outside of orlando. My first choice is UF, but being OOS, i am unsure of my chances there.</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>broadcast journalism is REALLY GOOD here! One of the big pros about here is the communication school, actually lol.</p>

<p>What about econ programs? I was just wondering if Miami’s econ dept good enough, compared to those of Boston University,Penn State or Wisconsin-Madison for example.</p>

<p>what are the pros about the architecture program? what was your reason for choosing UofM?</p>

<p>A few things to add:</p>

<p>Lots of kids here are pre-med (usually bio or chem) or in engineering, so a lot of people are exceptionally strong in math and science, but not so much in English. </p>

<p>Architecture is apparently really solid. I don’t know much else about it.</p>

<p>I’ve liked pretty much all of my professors so far; no complaints. In my smaller classes they’re all very helpful.</p>

<p>Miami has a diverse range of students, though tons are super snobby and superficial. It’s just how it is in warmer climates. You’ll find similar students in SoCal, in the aristocratic Southern schools, and even in the cold with New England preps. UM is a private school, and private schools=money. I see it in universities in New York City also, but not as much.</p>

<p>Not as many artsy, down-to-earth kids. They’re here, you just have to look.</p>

<p>We’re a pretty “bro” school, so expect a big Greek life presence if you don’t do clubs. </p>

<p>It’s hard for me to read people here; a lot seem like they don’t care about anything but partying, but then I find out how smart some are. It’s very diverse here, to say the least.</p>

<p>im considering transferring here from UW-Madison because it seems to be a potentially better fit. Is an engineering degree from UW any more advantages than one from Miami? considering i want to leave the midwest after college?</p>

<p>To Unoriginal… I heard Miami had small greek life not large?</p>

<p>How about the nursing program? Pros, cons, facilities?</p>

<p>Barbiebarbie - I’ve heard the percentage of students in Greek Life is smaller than some of the other traditional schools. I believe 14% of men and women are in fraternities and sororities. UM has 17 frats and 13 sororities. The sororities don’t have houses – I’m not sure what the facilities are. </p>

<p>I think it has a reputation of having a small greek life because it is being compared to other elite private southern schools that have between 25-40% kids in frats and sororities: Wake Forest, TCU, Vanderbilt to name a few. But I hear Greek is a GREAT way to go at UM.</p>

<p>Miami actually has 7 sororities and 13 fraternities. Not a big difference, just wanted to clear that up.</p>

<p>I loved Greek Life at UM cause it’s not your whole life like it is at other schools and everyone has friends in other sororities. There is a lot of Panhellenic Love.</p>

<p>how is the business school at miami?</p>

<p>I have a friend who goes to miami and she said that it’s very hard to keep up with the “miami lifestyle” meaning that everything is so expensive and it’s hard to go out without spending a bunch of money. is this true? would it be hard for a student in lower middle class to go to school here?</p>

<p>@lorel900 - I’m not at UM (yet), but I live in Miami, so I can help a little with that. Depending on what you’re into, there is a ton of stuff to do for free to keep yourself entertained. If you’re into art shows and the like, there’s free art festivals almost every weekend (plus galleries). The clubs aren’t expensive if you’re into that (& admission is generally free before 11), so if you’re into clubbing that’s chill too. You just have to look for things to do, because yeah, while it’s easy to go out and drop a lot of cash, it’s also easy to find things to do that don’t require that.</p>

<p>would it be hard for a student in lower middle class to go to school here? </p>

<p>That was my son. Middle class from small one-horse town in the midwest. He LOVED the U. Graduated in 07 and now a 4th-year grad student at another top university. I miss him being there actually, and I’ve missed being here on this forum…</p>