Tell me Why should I go to U Miami

<p>Tell me Why should I go to U Miami</p>

<hr>

<p>I am in U Miami with a 3/4 scholarship and in the honors program.</p>

<p>I have also gotten into Pepperdine (full scholarship +honors), UNC-CH (5K/yr scholaship +honors prgm), Notre Dame, waitlist Duke and Cornell.</p>

<p>Why should I pick U Miami over any of those schools? I am looking at going into the buisiness school or maybe even pre-law.</p>

<p>Because you did a campus visit and found it to be a great fit for you and realized thats where you could see yourself living for 4 years. You got accepted to all great universities, now you have to decide which is the best school that fits YOU. Remember pepperdine is extremely religious, has a curfew and many rules that may be more demanding than high school.</p>

<p>Best and worst about University of Miami </p>

<hr>

<p>I published this post about a year ago (in response to another person's question),but I thought it would be useful to new applicants. It deals with what I consider the best and worst parts of attending University of Miami. I hope that you find it helpful.</p>

<hr>

<p>As for the worst things, I would say price. However, since you got a 3/4 scholarship, I would say that you have negated this disadvantage.
As to the best, here is a copy of what I wrote a year ago. I hope it helps:</p>

<p>Look, no one will sell you on Miami. You need to check it out for yourself. Certainly, if you are asking is it academically better than Harvard or Yale, the answer for most programs would be that it isn't ranked higher than those schools. However, in my opinion, I would recommend Miami over schools like Syracuse, Northeastern, Boston University, and a number of others for the following reasons:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>WEATHER: Miami has fabulous weather. It is really hard to beat it. It also has some of the most unbelievably good looking people that you will see.</p></li>
<li><p>Miami has fabulous connection with the city of Miami and with Florida jobs in general. If you are looking for a job, internship or coop in Miami, Miami alumni are very involved and very strong.</p></li>
<li><p>To me, one of the most important benefits of Miami is that it has some very strong programs and a LOT of choices. If you check out their majors, they rival in quantity and quality that of a big state university without being nearly as large or impersonal as a big state university. Thus, you get all the advantages found in a big school combined with the advantages of a small-mid size school. The student teacher ratio is also very good. I should note that you also have a plethora of choices for duel degree programs as well. Also, their rankings have improved almost every year.</p></li>
<li><p>Graduates of their undergrad program do have a leg up for admission into their graduate and professional schools.</p></li>
<li><p>Miami has a very good endowment that allows for great campus maintenance and facilities. Also, you can expect its endowment to grow rapidly being in Miami with all the older "wealthy" folks.</p></li>
<li><p>School spirit is very strong at Miami. With their top ranked football team and good basketball team, they generate a lot of school spirit.</p></li>
<li><p>Miami gives out lots of merit aid to top applicants in addition to substantial need based aid,as you yourself have seen. Try getting merit aid from schools like Brown or Carnegie Mellon.</p></li>
<li><p>Miami has a lot of professionals who are currently doing well in their field teaching courses. This provides a very useful, practical education. This is not as true with some other large or mid size universities.</p></li>
<li><p>Since Miami has some strong sports teams, their athletic facilities such as gyms, pools etc. are very good.</p></li>
<li><p>Miami gets a lot of research money from the state and federal government, which provides for good labs and scientific equipment.</p></li>
<li><p>Miami has fabulous diversity in both students and faculty. Since Miami is the gateway to central and south America, you get a great variety of students, which adds a lot of their education.</p></li>
<li><p>Many kids come to Florida, especially to Miami Beach, for their vacation. Here you are living right near there.</p></li>
<li><p>The city of Miami is one of the most vibrant, fun cities around. It is chuck full of culture with symphonies, museums, shows, top notch sports teams and much more. It is one of the best cities, in my opinion, to attend school. If you combine this with fantastic weather, It is an unbeatable place when compared to many other school locations.</p></li>
<li><p>It is one of the schools noted in the book, "The best 361 college rankings."</p></li>
<li><p>It is rated in one of the best 140 schools in the southeast as rated by Princeton Review and is considered a top 50 national school by US News.</p></li>
<li><p>Not being a state school, you won't usually see problems with budget cuts.This will be a BIG DEAL in the future. As you probably know, state schools are getting less money due to budget cuts. This results in larger classes, less choices for courses and course times and, in some cases, program cancellations. Private schools that are "in-demand" do not normally have these problems.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Pepperdine doesn't have a curfew...but it is stricter than the other schools. But anyways, Miami is in the best location, has an amazing campus, great connections, diverse student body, close to the beach, warm weather year round.</p>

<p>Notre Dame is really cold and in the middle of nowhere. Pepperdine is a great school, but its too secluded and they don't have a football team. And I don't know much about UNC.</p>

<p>But yeah...UMiami is amazing!</p>

<p>If after scholarships the total price of UNC comes close to U Miami then go there.</p>

<p>Similar predicament: debating between UM and UCLA. Both are great on so many levels.</p>

<p>Yea man, go to UNC if the cost is similar to UMiami.</p>

<p>Spidey....as a trojan I feel dirty saying this but I would definitely choose UCLA.</p>

<p>U Miami is personally one of my favorite colleges, but the two that you have mentioned along with a few others (Penn State, USC, etc) are just more attractive in my opinion.</p>

<p>Again though, you guys will do well wherever, you gotta choose where you think you will thrive the most.</p>

<p>How do you think the student life at UM compares with UNC? UNC will cost $100,000, UM 70,000.</p>

<p>Exactly how strict is Pepperdine? It seems like a great place (just toured it today), but it is a dry campus and all...</p>

<p>go to unc hah</p>

<p>I got a full-ride to Tulane and only a 3/4th to UM. I'm from Miami and I visited Tulane and I liked Tulane better because its a new city and seems like it would probably provide me with a better "college experience". The only problem is that I'm kind of undecided on my major (either biomedical engineering or business--pre-med/pre-mba) and UM has wayyy more choices in majors compared to Tulane. Any suggestions? I'm really stuck between the two. Oh and I got into UF, but I don't really want to go to a huge state school even though it is ranked higher.</p>

<p>Where is jeremybeach when we need him? He went to Tulane and is transferring to Miami</p>

<p>Miamigirl, take Miami. Having a bigger amount of choices of majors and courses is a BIG deal.</p>

<p>To the rescue! Lol. Just kidding. It's all personal preference, and sadly, I might not be going to miami afterall because I haven't gotten money...yet! So, we'll see. </p>

<p>But to miami girl, I guess it all comes down to career really. If Miami has more opportunity/options for you, personally I would pick it, but it's not for me to decide. That's a big reason why I'm transferring from tulane because they did NOT have an adequate school/dept. for what I wanted. There were many more reasons. But it has lots of pros too (I'm also choosing b/t Loyola which is right nexty to Tulane because I liked the city that much!)</p>

<p>Just make a huge pros/cons list, and give it lots of thought. It looks like you'll be ok financially wherever you go hopefully. I mean it's still loans, but it's better than me having to pay 200k if i went tomiami (which I never would.) Haha. Good luck!!</p>

<p>The ranking diff between UF and UM is close to none, and it wouldn't surprise me to see UM pass UF in the couple years. There's no way I'd ever want to live in NO over Miami.</p>