Best apartments?

<p>I've been checking out some off-campus housing online, and they all seem to have several terrible reviews! The Cottages, Northpoint Crossing, The Rise at Northgate...I would love to hear more personal experiences and possible horror stories from y'all!</p>

<p>Try U Centre at Northgate. Build last year and very nice facility. My son stays there and really likes it.</p>

<p>My daughter is there, too. I have experienced a few other complexes with my older girl and U Centre has been far above the others. The prices were reasonable, too.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that almost all reviews online will be negative. People only find it worth it to write a negative review, not a positive one.</p>

<p>Does U Centre at Northgate have leases based on the fall/spring school year or only 12 months.</p>

<p>U Centre at Northgate is taking new leases right now for the 2015-16 school year (leases start Aug). They expect to fill up very quickly, so if you’re interested go check it out soon. </p>

<p>Many freshman who live off campus the first year seem to go for the apartments that have meal services & maid services. Those ones are more dorm like (& more expensive) but you will find the majority of occupants are freshman. It is kind of nice not have to also go shopping for food, cook & clean up after every meal when you’re first adjusting to college life. The other more independent style apartments will have far more upper classmen in them. Since the majority of freshman are in on campus dorms, it might be a plus to pick one closer to campus so your commute to meet up with friends is shorter. I would not sign a lease sight unseen unless you absolutely have to do so - they are binding agreements. There are many trying to sublet apartments later in the year (thinking they would just lose the deposit if they changed their minds, but instead they have to pay for the entire year or find their own sublet lessor to pay it for them). Some also charge a fee for subletting.</p>

<p>Things to consider: bus service, parking, meal/maid service, utilities charges (they are different- vary from no additional cost to over a hundred during high months), outdoor/indoor amenities that you will use, on campus parking pass needed, closet/room sizes (they vary widely), # of roommates, matching roommate service or find your own, 9 or 12 month leases, cable services, internet services, tv(s) included or not , security of the property, furnished or unfurnished or the option of both, rules of the apartment complex(some of very tough, some nonexistent) and which rules YOU want/don’t want. </p>

<p>All housing has pluses and minuses, and many are based on the actual apartment/roommates you end up with as well as your expectations for apartment living. Also some apartments pay/reward for positive reviews posted online - and I thought the internet was a true reflection of everything :wink: </p>

<p>Agmom - thank you so much for taking the time to craft up this excellent information. I too am “researching” housing options for my soon to be 18-year-old 2015-16 freshman daughter hopeful. . . . . </p>

<p>In my opinion, dorm living the first year (and even 2) is the best possible arrangement. My kids didn’t move to apartments until Jr. year. I know that’s not always possible though. With the corp dorm quad remodeling going on, I know there are going to be fewer rooms available until they are finished.</p>

<p>Definitely agree dorms are better for freshmen. There are 2 private dorms very near campus that are good compromises: calloway and traditions. You will likely need a car if you live off campus. There are buses but they start too late for 9am classes from some spots.</p>