Best Journalism School for me?

<p>I'm a Community College student interested in transferring after I finish my G.E. to a university for broadcast journalism, but I'm unsure what school would be the best for me. I did the whole 'college finder' on here, but I figured that actual students who may attend these schools & are interested in the same thing as me would be able to help more! So thanks in advance! Anyways,</p>

<p>-My GPA is around 3.7-3.8 and I have a lot of good extra-curricular (missions work out of the country, helping disabled students at my C.C., etc.)</p>

<p>-I want to go to a university with an established/respectable journalism school
-I'm from California, so I'm kind of yearning to get out-of-state and experience a new place. Preferably Midwest or the East Coast.
-I'm a country girl at heart so I don't necessarily want to live in a big city.
-Also, I would love to be in a sorority!</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice or recommendations :)</p>

<p>There are many good journalism schools in the Midwest.
Check out U Missouri, Indiana U, Kansas U, U Wisconsin, U Iowa, U Minnesota.</p>

<p>Syracuse, Boston University, Emerson College
:)</p>

<p>Do not spend a lot of money on a journalism degree. It is better to find an in-state school with not only a journalism program, but with a college newspaper published by students. Stay there two years, work your tail off, then get out.
If you absolutely must leave the state for college try states with a reciprocal tuition agreement with California…here is the website for the Western Undergraduate Tuition Exchange…[Western</a> Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education](<a href=“http://www.wiche.edu/wue]Western”>Save On College Tuition | Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE))
You need look no farther than Washington State or Montana for really strong J programs…but I am sure there are others on the list.</p>

<p>UMD , Northwestern, NYU, Columbia</p>

<p>have you considered Ole Miss (the university of Mississippi)? You say you’re a country girl, come to the South. Also, Greek life is vibrant here. The sororities are sooo involved in campus activities. And the journalism program is very popular. The professors are very established. In fact, one is nicknamed Mr. Magazine. He has been featured on Good Morning America. He’s been profiled in the NY Times as well. He helps magazines start up. Also, one of the professors helped a girl get an internship with Vogue. Def look into this school. :)</p>

<p>Also Ole Miss is very affordable. :)</p>

<p>East Coast–Virginia Tech has a good communications program with concentration in Broadcast Journalism…Blacksburg`s not a huge city…only an hour or so away from the country.</p>

<p>Go for Syracuse or Northwestern, two of the very best!</p>

<p>Ohio University is great and affordable. Although it is a party school, the Scripps school is competitive and offer good financial aid.</p>

<p>Top J-schools on east coast/ midwest: (some repeats from above)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Florida
University of Missouri at Columbia
Syracuse University
University of Maryland at College Park
NYU
Northwestern
Boston University (Boston College is sometimes on lists too)
University of Texas at Austin
Penn State University at University Park
Michigan State
University of Minnesota (Twin Cities)
University of Georgia</p>

<p><a href=“Boston%20College%20is%20sometimes%20on%20lists%20too”>QUOTE</a>

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>As I’ve told you before…BC does NOT have a Journalism major, so why do you say this?</p>

<p>BC has a communications program. I was accepted into it in 2012. It’s like broadcast journalism.</p>

<p>The program is not that good, imho. But, the school overall is amazing and you might like the environment if you’re not afraid of the partying, upper-class rich types.</p>

<p>As I read your ‘wants’ - non-big-city in Midwest, healthy sorority scene, I do believe Ohio is a state you should check out. As mentioned above Ohio U has excellent Scripps School, but if finances are an issue, a more affordable option for you may be Bowling Green State University - where your stats may garner you an excellent merit scholarship. University radio and TV stations offer lots of slots for practical experience and bigger-city internship possibilities abound in Columbus, Cleveland and elsewhere. BG’s Arts scene is very good for a small midwest city, with Ground for Thought concerts and Black Swamp Arts Fest, which yield more chances for hands-on involvement.</p>