Best place to house for engineering student?

<p>Where do you suggest I house as an incoming engineering student (chemical engineering, to be precise)? Is there anywhere specific?</p>

<p>To be more specific...I've heard the Lakeshore dorms are nearer to the buildings that most of the engineering classes are in. I've also heard they're generally nicer than the Southeast (plus quieter). Are these statements true? Is any specific dorm closest to the engineering buildings or any dorm a step above the others in quality (without a fee increase)?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>You're right about Lakeshore being quieter, though I can't necessarily agree with nicer. Most of the dorms here are the basic, small room, one bathroom per floor, nothing fancy type of deal. You'll get the same thing at Sellery and Witte down in Southeast. </p>

<p>As far as distance is concerned, engineering isn't really close to any dorms unfortunately, but Lakeshore is a little closer than Southeast. Liz Waters is going to be the farthest away out of the Lakeshore dorms, while Slichter is the closest but not by much. Slichter, Adams, Tripp (non-freshman only), Cole, Sullivan, and Kronshage are all in basically the same area. None of them cost extra, but Adams and Tripp have a lot of single rooms which cost more and not as many double rooms. From my limited experience, I'd say Kronshage has very nice rooms.</p>

<p>In Southeast, Sellery and Witte are the cheap dorms, and Ogg and Smith are the nicest dorms, but they cost more.</p>

<p>Consider that most/all of your freshman classes will not be on the west/engineering end of campus. Look at the buildings used for your courses- eg math, chemistry, physics, computer science and you will find it doesn't matter where you live. Choose your dorm based on where you want to spend your out of class time.</p>

<p>It's not that huge of a campus and there are buses running down University and Johnson on a loop. That being said, stay away from Ogg if the smell of vomit offends you. **note, i was at UW from 2001 to 2005 and things may have changed.</p>

<p>^Yeah, maybe a little bit since that Ogg and the new Ogg are really different. ;]</p>