preferred dorm for College of Engineering

Hello everybody.

I assume the lake shore dorms are most convenient for students that will be spending a lot of time in the Engineering area? How do they compare to dorms in the southeast part of the campus? I’m familiar w/ the campus, but not every building…most/all of the lake shore dorms are much older, correct?

Any other comments would be appreciated - I need to put together my list of preferred dorms.

Thanks!

If arriving as a freshman prob doens’t matter as your first year you’ll be taking prereq non-egr classes. 2nd year maybe get a place by Camp Randall for convenience.

Your freshman classes will potentially be all over campus. Pick the dorm that suits you regardless of intended major. Later you can choose a dorm or apartment closer to where the majority of your classes will be. Once you are on campus following years’ housing will be much easier to determine. Your major does not define you- you are multifaceted.

Listing either all dorms in the Southeast or Lakeshore first is usually best as the area is most likely most important than a specific dorm. Some of my friends in the same major preferred opposite areas/dorms. You can eat anywhere, no need to return to your dorm area for lunch. You can choose to eat supper anywhere if you happen to be near one end of campus (or try places for variety).

Consider various factors, prioritize those that matter most to you. eg- high/low rise. city/trees-grass. newer/old.

All dorms are maintained. Figure out if you want (can afford) to pay a premium for A?C or other amenities. Do not worry about walking for classes- all areas work fine. Going to State St works from the far west of campus as does Picnic Point from the east. Being able to quickly be at the lake or among trees leads to a Lakeshore choice.

It is great that all sorts of students end up in each dorm. It can be nice to run into people you won’t see in your type of classes and learn from them. Overlap in some interests.