Best Schools for Undergraduate Aerospace Engineering

You are 100% correct. Just because a school is generally considered “best”, even by the most objective measures, does not mean that it is “best college for everybody”, or even “best college for most people”. When choosing a college, fit and affordability trump everything.

5 Likes

Go Cyclones! (Alas, my son isn’t following in his parent’s footsteps and is going to Purdue. But we weren’t aero’s).

1 Like

Fantastic dialogs, thank you all - I really enjoy different opinions.

Yesterday my son received the financial package from GT - to my surprise, he got scholarship and price for GT is now only $2k higher that UVA, cheaper than UF and Ohio. Price matter for all of us (not just for him) and this makes the decision even harder. Ohio and UF are out of the list. It will be between UVA and GT.

Last weekend we went again to UVA for an Engineering School visit. He liked it very much, he liked it but remember we didn’t visit GT yet.

What I liked:

• First year is general engineering and they will have experience in multiple engineering areas. I know this is the same as many other schools, however they said assignment to the major in the second year will be done based on choice and not based on GPA. This is a big plus in my opinion, less pressure. Not that I’m thinking he will be mediocre in his first year, but I like that he will be able to pick his major without any conditions.
  • Engineering school at UVA is a small school in a big university - only 4k undergraduates. This means more individual attention, deeper connection with the faculty, more access to the labs …etc. This also meets my son requirement to be in a big enough school - he visited Embry Riddle last summer and didn’t apply there because is too small and he wants a college experience, knowing people from other majors … he is really a normal, social kid.
  • Engineering school offers a minor in business, in collaboration with the business school - this is a big “YES” for me, as he can expand his expertise beyond the technical field
  • Apparently all dorms at UVA have been completely renovated in the last 10 years
  • UVA is only 5h and 30 min away from home - far enough and close enough.

We are so divided - I think it’s obviously that I prefer UVA. My husband prefers GT - for future opportunities. My son was ready to commit to UVA before receiving the financial aid from GT. Then he said - I am so conflicted.

We are planning to visit GT next week - although I watched some YouTube videos and campus looks gorgeous.

P.S. Meantime, he was waitlisted to Univ of Michigan, after he was deferred in EA - honestly we didn’t even care at this time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heads you win.

Tails you win.

Best of luck and I hope your visit tells you either - come here or this isn’t right for me to which you know to go to UVA.

Either way, you win.

Congrats to your student.

1 Like

So glad you liked your visit to UVA. Enjoy your visit to Georgia Tech and good luck with the decision!

My son didn’t decide until 2 days before the deadline. After the GT visit, he’ll probably know. If he’s still conflicted, that means he’ll be fine at either. Congrats on the impending launch.

2 Likes

Very glad you are visiting Georgia Tech. My oldest had the same decision and chose Georgia Tech over UVA engineering. I’ve personally love both schools and so did he, but the feel is very different. Are you going to gold carpet day? That should be a full schedule. If you’re just going on admitted students tour, I would recommend scheduling a tour of the flowers invention studio on their website (it is the largest student run maker space in the country) and a major specific info session. Even though I have taken multiple Georgia Tech tours over the past few years with various kids, I thought both of these were a helpful addition.

I agree once he’s been to both he will have a good feel. The facilities and funding at Georgia Tech are top tier. You can also do a business minor at Tech (look into the Denning T and M program which is particularly impressive).

2 Likes

Your son is instate for Georgia Tech so that is no surprise that he picked Georgia Tech. The cost savings alone for Georgia residents is substantial. The OP’s situation is different, is OOS for both schools, will visit both and the son will probably end up with a clear preference re: fit after that. They will have different vibes. Both good choices and he already likes UVA. Will probably like Georgia Tech too. Have fun on the visit to Georgia Tech, @Buflea .

It’s interesting that they claim this. ThinkBox at Case is 50,000 sq ft. Lots of schools have fully outfitted spaces larger. Cal Poly has multiple. Purdue’s is huge. Maybe it comes down to the definition of “student run.” In any case, it looks like a cool space with lots of toys.

Never heard about Golden Carpet Day - I just looked now and there is one on Apr 15, but is fully booked. Not sure if there is another one available

Maybe I should I call the office and beg them to add us on the list ?

Otherwise, there are admitted students tours available …we’ll take that.

You can take the tour - but you can ask admissions for some special access - maybe a student to show you specific things you want or to meet with a faculty or advisor.

Far more kids say no to Ga Tech than say yes…ie their yield is under 50%.

Interestingly, on our UVA tour, they said the same thing and noted that once admitted, they will do their best to “sell you” on the school. That was refreshing to here from such a high level program.

So most schools, will bend a bit to get you what you need to see.

They’ve said yes to you - but now they need you to say yes to them!!

So don’t just take the tour. Reach out to your counselor in advance and let them know what you’re hoping to see!!

1 Like

Enjoy your visit to GT and Atlanta! We really like both these schools, but my kid had a clear preference for the campus vibe of one… they are just so different. It is hard to imagine any kid not feeling drawn to one more than the other. I look forward to hearing your son’s (and you and hubby’s) thoughts after the tour.

1 Like

In defense of Georgia Tech, yields at most schools are under 50%. Students that get into GT, Cal Poly, Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, etc. are also getting into other highly rejective schools. They can choose them all. :wink:

3 Likes

Wasn’t a criticism. Was just saying to OP that even if you can’t go for Golden Carpet Day, you can still ask the school to give you the experience you think that you’ll need. Most will bend over backward to help because they still have to fill a class. And I can see why given the yields.

UVA flat out said it on the tour - that always stuck with me - I appreciated their honesty.

When we went to U of Oklahoma, when my son was fixated on Atmospheric Sciences as a major - they planned without request - a 1:1 tour, time with an advisor, with a student.

Frankly it was amazing - but they know - part of the sale is getting an application…but ultimately they need to close the deal on getting the student to campus.

Really just saying - don’t feel let down that you can’t go to the special day. Ask them to make a special day as a one off just for you - they likely will as they really really really want you to say yes to them!!!

2 Likes

Be careful. Some people who have hired new engineering graduates in the past like @HPuck35 have mentioned negative experiences with those who had business second majors or minors, in finding that they wanted a fast track to management instead of work in engineering. This makes them less likely to want to hire such applicants.

All ABET accredited engineering major degree programs do have general education requirements (ABET requires them to have general education requirements, although it leaves the exact nature and volume of such up to the school). So the student will have some course work outside the major.

You keep harping on this one friend who hated on Caltech 5-7 years ago. I agree that no school has a lock on anything, but your continued bashing of schools your kid didn’t even apply to makes me wonder why you’re so insecure about their CalPoly education - it should speak for itself and your posts do nothing but make it sound inferior.

And for those who like anecdotes my friend (MIT graduate if it matters) who is now at JPL and probably knows your “biggest project of all time” or probably manages them son just went through the application process. I followed closely to see if he managed to break the 100% rejection rate of double MIT parents (seriously if anyone thinks MIT even likes legacy I can tell you otherwise) - and where did he end up - CalTech. So somehow I guess your friends opinion isn’t the end all be all.

ETA and full disclosure my kids didn’t apply to MIT or Caltech or CalPoly - I am just amused/befuddled on the continued bashing of a school many of my colleagues graduated from and where several of my kids’ friends are now thriving.

I would add that business classes crowd out tech classes. There are only so many hours in a term. When hiring engineers are looking at applicants, they’ll often look at classes taken. The broader and/or deeper in tech electives, the better.

And you know this as an engineer or engineering hiring manager? I’m pretty sure you’ve stated you’re none of these things. I’m confused why you continue to post as an engineering expert not having even the slightest bit of expertise in the field.

1 Like

MIT itself says that it does not consider legacy in admissions.

I’m well aware of their claims - but disagree. Literally 100% of legacies I know have been denied - and I know a TON. Both my husband and I are alums. Statistically 4% should have been admitted - leaving aside the incredibly profile of those applying. I encouraged both my kids to not apply as I had no doubt of their result - MIT does take legacy into account - it just REJECTS them.