Best Schools for Undergraduate Aerospace Engineering

As I stated, I encouraged neither of my kids to apply to MIT, even beyond fit and would tell any MIT parent the same thing. It’s a tough school for any admit, but if your kid wants to try - 100% prepare them for rejection. It’s actually become a running joke in alum circles. Believe me, don’t believe me - makes no difference to me. But when you’ve seen the shear volume of amazing, qualified students who have had decent results at other highly rejective schools and NONE of them get into MIT - it’s an interesting anecdote - or not.

In many ways, I’m not surprised, as MIT has always loved the first generation, give a disadvantaged kid a chance applicant. And they’re certainly right that these kids don’t need MIT - they all went off to thrive at other great schools.

1 Like

The Georgian is nice and in a good location for a visit to GT. We attend events there and occasionally treat ourselves to an overnight.

Thank you for sharing your son’s journey. :slight_smile: Happy Easter to you too.

Have a great trip. One of my kids was in suburban Atlanta for school for five years, and I made plenty of visits there during that time. Fortunately, between her place and some friends, I didn’t need a hotel, except one time for a wedding.

While picking up a rental car is not difficult from the Atlanta airport, I have to say…driving in Atlanta is not exactly easy peasy. Fact is…I hated it. We rented cars a few times, but when I traveled myself, I either begged my friends to shuttle me around…or I did Uber. I hated Atlanta driving.

I think you are smart to stay within walking distance of the college…to get a feel for the place….and to avoid driving in Atlanta on unfamiliar roads.

1 Like

Spent the day at GT- wow. If you want to be in a major city and want to study engineering, it would be hard to beat.

The kids are the difference: smart, team oriented and happy. Grinders but happy to. Diverse by all measures.

This is a very special place for the tech/engineering crowd. I am so hoping D23 sees it’s I do.

In the end though, her call.

7 Likes

Well…if she chooses GA Tech…let us know. There are a bunch of us who can give you great tourist things to do there!

1 Like

Thanks for responding.

You noted MIT, against their published info does factor legacy. You said it rejects them.

So I simply asked for published data that shows this.

If that were the case, then it’d be good for legacies to know so they didn’t waste time.

But it’s not true - you are basing it on everyone you know. But the reality is MIT only admits a small percentage of kids, and it is likely many legacies aren’t included in that small percentage. But their status wouldn’t be the reason for rejection - unless MIT is being dishonest. And you implied it is.

Thanks

Can the discussion return to the OP please. IIRC, MIT isn’t one of the options. A user is free to open another thread to discuss MIT or any other topic not related to the OP.

2 Likes

Or a famous Frosted Orange! A visit to The Varsity is a right of passage… just don’t expect any healthy options. haha

Note: The orange drink is way too sweet for me now, but I loved them as a kid… and my college kid still loves them.

1 Like

We are not going to visit GT anymore :smiling_face_with_tear:

Last week my son looked at all YouTube videos from and about GT and came to us saying he doesn’t want to go there. While it is a big honor to be accepted, he said he feels his peers are not there and it will be difficult for him to fit in and find friends. I believe the distance and “knowing nobody” really scared him as I found out that there is somebody else from his high school who will go to UVA, although they are not closed friends, but they are friendly.

We insisted, at least to visit it (especially my husband) - but we couldn’t change his decision. He said he is very happy with UVA, doesn’t have any regret or any other desire for other school - therefore we paid the commitment fee and he is now officially a Cavalier.

I am a bit bitter sweet about this - I still think he should have gone and visit it, although knowing his personality, I also agree UVA is a better fit.

6 Likes

Congratulations on the decision being made and Wahoowa!

1 Like

Looking back at this journey, it is amazing to see how we started and where did we end up.
For such a long time UF was his first choice, then Purdue and Virginia Tech. We visited UVA just because it was close to VT and in our way home - he liked it but didn’t pay much attention to it.

Then the excruciating application process started, the rejection from Purdue, the huge, huge price from VT and Maryland, the huge scholarship from UVA, the acceptance from Florida and to the last minute the acceptance from GT.

And here we are - ready to start a new chapter in our life - he away from home and us without him at home.

2 Likes

Now, is there any thread with parents of UVA students on this site ?

Not sure about on this site (although there is a general University of Virginia forum so you might look there), but on Facebook there is an active UVA Parent Network page, a general University of Virginia page and a UVA Class of 2027 page.

1 Like

I also wanted to mention … before paying the commitment fee I called the Financial Aid Office at UVA and asked what is happening with the huge scholarship next year as my husband’s scare was that we pick such an expensive school like UVA based on this year scholarship and we may be hit with another price next year vs picking GT for example that is cheaper by definition and if he looses the GT scholarship will still be cheaper than UVA.

They told me that the scholarship is need based, therefore if nothing dramatic changes in our FAFSA, he most likely will get a similar amount. However, next year I will have 2 kids in college - therefore I was expecting my FAFSA to change for the better. And then the lady told me that this year they (no idea who are they ?) will change the way FAFSA calculates the EFC and will not consider the number of kids in college anymore … well, this makes me sick to my stomach and extremely frustrated.

Did anybody hear about this change ?

Then she told me that several universities (UVA included) are having deep discussions about this major change and are trying to find a solution to help the families sustain the upcoming costs - therefore no change in my son’s scholarship for the worst, maybe a change for the better if some kind of resolution will be reached.

2 Likes

Yes - I joined the FB groups, however very little activity on these groups. When UF was still on the table, I also joined a parents group for UF - my God, those parents are ready to go to UF themselves :grinning: … there is a very, very close and active community for UF that share a lot of useful information.

Yes, apparently number of children in college will no longer be considered, which will adversely affect the contribution amount for lots of people. I wish more people understood that this change is upcoming because it may very well have undesired effects. Glad you got an assurance from the financial aid office that his aid should not go down.

Congratulations on your son’s decision! While none of my children chose to attend, I loved my years there and know your son well as well!

2 Likes

“Happy with UVA, doesn’t have any regret…”
I think the journey is over.
Happy kid, where they want to be is ultimately the goal. Well done.

5 Likes

That’s great… I think it’s wonderful when a kid gets a good feeling about a school and wants to go there. He’ll get a great education there!

3 Likes

And also UMD

The OP’s kid has made their decision, and since we have not heard otherwise, we can assume that their kid is happy with that decisions.

Closing thread.

1 Like