Best weekend for UA visit

<p>DS sent in his application and has already got back his CWID. I was very impressed with the 24 hour turnaround. Anyway, next up is to arrange a visit. We are thinking of a weekend sometime in mid September to end of October, flying out on a Thursday and back on a Saturday. I figure this will enable DS to sit in on a class on Friday if we arrange an honors schedule. Could anyone offer advice as to which weekends would be the best or better to be avoided because the campus would be busy? Thanks.</p>

<p>Avoid any weekend that there’s a home game. The hotel prices will be too high (even if you could still find one). </p>

<p>Once you choose a weekend, book a campus tour for Friday, and then (if applying for honors college) send Allison and Susan your son’s info so that they can arrange the rest of the day.</p>

<p>first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much on the Alabama forum on College Confidential which is VERY active.*
<a href=“http://talk.college-confidential.com/university-alabama/[/url]”>http://talk.college-confidential.com/university-alabama/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Thanks mom2collegekids. Looks as though Oct 10-12 might be a good bet.</p>

<p>I have shared parts of this on other threads, but for the new class of 18 CC members…</p>

<p>DS just missed the honors ACT/GPA numbers – safely in, but The Prez wasn’t going to send a limo to get him.</p>

<p>Alabama was in our Top 2, he/we planned to apply to 4, and we naively started lining up apps & visits about this time last year. All the decisions and family discussions were lining up nicely for a Halloween-Thanksgiving-ish decision.</p>

<p>Alabama was lightning fast accepting him. We pinged the website and and scheduled a September visit, just to sort-of get the ball rolling (or so I thought).</p>

<p>Long story short: The acceptance letter, tour, and emotional connection happened. He chose Bama, and I sent the necessary prepayments to ensure good dorm and other first-come-first-served advantages.</p>

<p>Eventually, he was accepted to Auburn as well (we never even got around to applying to the others), but by the time the Auburn letter came, the elephant had sailed. </p>

<p>If Bama is your dream school, early is almost always better than later for everything. Tours, payments, decisions. </p>

<p>If Bama is one of several serious candidate schools, be ready for serious family conversations like right now. </p>

<p>Bama is beautiful. It’s a terrific school. They want good kids. They’ll let you know right away if they want you. </p>

<p>Bottom line: Be ready for family conversations and student decisions earlier than you might expect. As soon as the acceptance letter is sitting on the kitchen counter, and especially after the tour, it will be a siren song.</p>

<p>Ha, “the elephant had sailed”. Great image!</p>