BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

Got the big acceptance envelope with an academic scholarship. We haven’t received the official financial aid letter yet. Did anyone get a talent scholarship in addition to their academic scholarship? PM me if you want. Thnx!

@MTMommma Also got the big envelope. Three letters: 1. Generic financial aide office instructions letter; 2. Academic acceptance and academic scholarship letter; and 3. Admittance and welcome to the BFA Theatre Arts program letter. There was no mention of an artistic scholarship. I’m thinking that if one was coming, it would have been noted in that letter.

Thanks @daughtersdreams that was what was in our envelope too. We’ve gotten some talent scholarships separately from a few schools, so I was wondering if more $ would be coming. Besides the academic scholarship, we don’t qualify for any other aid. With that extra $8-9K for CAP 21 and NYC transport/meals, ouch.

Ohhhh, on a side note, I’ve just been promoted to CC “Junior Member”. What the heck was I before LOL?!

Folks, there aren’t any talent scholarships available for BFAs.

Oh darn it!

And so begins another day of waiting for MSM . . .

@MTMommma Guess you were a lurker…LOL.

D was excited to receive her acceptance. Now to figure out when to visit campus (es) before May 1. There’s an open house at the end of April – how’s that for cutting it close?

Congrats, @CentralOHmomof4 ! I’m at CAP21 as I write this, waiting for the show to start - Class One’s Pop.Rock Project! Saw it yesterday, too (living a train ride away comes in handy) and it was amazing!

@EastchesterMom Just wanted to thank you for all the information you’ve shared and for your enthusiasm for the Molloy/CAP21 program. As our decision time draws near, sadly the decreased scholarship money due to my D being a transfer, means the program is probably out of our price range. She is awaiting another outside scholarship award, but it is unlikely that it will be enough to make up the difference. While this is disappointing, we’re grateful for the other options she has.

She may end up at LIU Post as they are being extremely generous and flexible with their financial aid package. So she would not be too far away to stop in and see a show at Molloy! We’ll be sure to let you know when the final decision is made.

Sorry to hear that, @daughtersdreams - as I like to say, it’s all about the fit. If your D is happy at Post, then vaya con dios! You’ve had quite a ride; hard to believe it’s almost over!

Another installment of the doings of Class One! This weekend was their Pop Rock Project- the kids chose pop songs that reflected issues that were meaningful to them and made a show out of them. Absolutely outstanding! My D had two solos; her second was “Woodstock” by Joni Mitchell. It’s one of her dad’s favorites, and there were some moist eyes in our family. Another incredible accomplishment for Class One! Now D is on to her next shows: a tribute to Harold Arlen, and the Disney Princess concerts, where she will be Elsa from Frozen! Then, my friends-- Class One will be SENIORS!

@EastchesterMom - we will be visiting CAP21 & Molloy next week. My D is excited to check out a couple of classes and get a feel for the program. Just wondering if more of the students move into New York after their Freshman year since they spend more time there rather than at the Molloy campus? If so, what is it like to find housing? Thanks.

@waitingforlife - I can only speak for Class One, obviously! My D lived on campus for freshman and sophomore years, and so did most of the cohort who weren’t locals already. A few moved to Brooklyn. There is no on-campus housing available for BFAs in their junior and senior year, which made some of the parents mad at first, but it turned out to be the best thing for the kids – they are learning to live as NYC-based performers do. D is so independent and responsible now!. There was no problem whatsoever finding an apartment; D used a realtor called Nooklyn. D and 3 of her cohort live in Queens – newly renovated brownstone, great neighborhood, close to the subway to get to CAP 21. Two of the girls have cars and drive everybody to campus on Molloy days. The juniors are all over the place – Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and on Long Island. As far as I know, nobody had any trouble finding a place to live.

Just so you know, even though they are at the CAP 21 studios three days per week, for upperclassmen (freshmen are not permitted to audition or perform outside the curriculum), there’s rehearsals and shows on campus, too. For Class One, the first three Projects this year were on campus; this past weekend’s Pop Rock Project was the first to be held at CAP 21’s black box theatre (called The Shop). And then there’s the Madison Theatre shows, which are independent of the curriculum… I have posted about them before. Also, some of the BFAs work at the Madison Theatre (the perfect work-study for them!). So even if your child chooses to live off-campus sophomore year, there will still be a lot of time spent on campus. Personally, I think nobody has it better than a BFA sophomore living on campus…that Madison Theatre is right there, with paid performing opportunities aplenty.

@EastchesterMom - that is very helpful, thank you for sharing all your knowledge.

D is still sad about Molloy/CAP21 being out of our price range. I feel bad for letting her get her hopes up about it, but I thought I had been pretty careful about only letting her apply to schools we could afford- even if it was a stretch. So, when the financial award package came and it showed a huge bottom line even after scholarships and Fed student loans, I was taken aback.

Today I looked more closely and saw the reason for sticker shock. The tuition and fees went up $9,000 from last year!

The only prices on their web site are for 2016-2017 so I added a couple thousand to that assuming some increase for 2017-2018. But I didn’t anticipate that much of a jump. The total cost of attendance for 2017-2018 comes in at just under $58,000 So that explains the big cost difference I wasn’t expecting.

We are right there with you! We had to make that same decision!

My D committed to another school today. It was really hard, because she LOVED Ricky and the kids she met when she visited last week. But think she found the right fit for her. Good luck everyone! And thanks @EastchesterMom for providing so much helpful information. You are a great ambassador for the program.

BAL to your D, @freddieggirl!

@daughtersdreams - part of the reason for the big fee increase when you got the award package is because nothing on the Molloy website indicates that there is an extra $6000 charge for CAP21. I only knew about it from seeing people mention it on CC and when I called them to ask why the number was so different from the website they confirmed that in addition to the regular fee increase it also include the extra CAP21 fee.