BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

@mtandsbdad that comment about how many working actors who list NYU as their alma mater are actually Cap21 alum was revelatory for us. Even after lots of research into the program we had not realized just how many alum they have working in the industry. My kid just got accepted into a school that has much more of a name for itself than Molloy, but was still feeling Molloy, yet having some trouble getting around the “but this other school has a name people know, does this mean it’s better training” doubts. Your post I think helped validate going where his heart is leaning. Thank you. Kind of simultaneously found this page of their website (no idea how we missed it before), so it all clicked at the same time
https://www.molloy.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/molloy-cap21-theatre-arts-program/alumni-updates

@tatteredandfriendly - D and I saw Hadestown Friday night (next Best Musical Tony; trust me!) and guess what; there’s a Cappie in it. He listed NYU/CAP21 in the Playbill. Never doubt this, folks… this training is amazing and your kiddo will be READY.

@EastchesterMom we saw Hadestown while visiting Molloy last week and I can’t stop talking about it. It’s one of the most gorgeous things I’ve ever seen on a stage.

Where does one find Cap 21 spirit wear? Seems the school only has Molloy stuff. Does such a thing exist???

@CoffeeNTheatre - unfortunately there isn’t any CAP21 wear… I think now that Molloy bought CAP21 that it’s a branding thing - but many people really do not want to necessarily drop the CAP21 part because of the name recognition that does with it…
A bunch of us parents inquired about it last year and even talked about making our own, but I don’t think that came to fruition :wink:

What a bummer. I know the kids who decide to choose to go with Cap21 will want to announce it and be proud about it. They need some co-branded pieces. Can you tell I have a background in Marketing??? LOL

We also talked about CAP21 wear our Freshman year (2017). At that time they didn’t actually have a Molloy/CAP21 logo but now they do. Seems like it would be worth it to them to advertise the program. @JavaJo who did you guys ask last year? Maybe we just have to ask the right people at the right time :slight_smile:

I completely agree @CoffeeNTheatre !!

@waitingforlife - I think we asked at the New Student Orientation event in the summer last year and we asked the CAP21 faculty. There seemed to be some hesitancy when we asked which is why I thought there may be some branding discussions/issues going on. But, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to ask again. :wink:

Total speculation on my part, but I guessed that since Molloy actually bought CAP21 that perhaps it is their hope to make Molloy synonymous with CAP21 and eventually fade the CAP21 name - so that Molloy makes a name for itself in the MT world… but like I said, just my speculation! I may be totally wrong!!!

I must confess…I have a CAP21 shirt, from D’s freshman year, before Molloy totally took over. I will now guard it with my life, since I see that it is a rare artifact, LOL!

@JavaJo - they’d be crazy if they got rid of the CAP21 name - even NYU never did that. Of course, in those days, there was also a 2-year conservatory program as well as the 4-year BFA through Tisch.

I assume that these are not “official.” But, here are some CAP21 t’s
https://www.cafepress.com/cap21/483254
https://www.redbubble.com/people/idkemma/works/33481081-molloy-cap21-mt

I found the redbubble one earlier but wondered if there was official stuff. Guess not. I think it would be sad to phase out Cap21 name (no different than NYU has 2 studios). Oh well, thanks for the input everyone!

Thanks for the link @ZukAndSowash ! I had not seen that before!! ?

And @CoffeeNTheatre - they may not be fading the name! It was just a thought I had… ?

ATTENTION SENIORS!
Celebrity Cruises is seeking singers for their groundbreaking and award-winning productions aboard their fleet of ten ships, including their revolutionary and industry-defining vessel, Celebrity Edge! They offer Modern Luxury vacations, visiting all seven continents, where every detail is created to provide an unmatchable experience. Contracts range from 6-8 months, beginning as soon as May 2019.
April 15, 2019 - Private Call for Lead Vocalists
*Agents, please submit via Breakdown Express
*For private appointment consideration, please email your headshot, resume and link to website, reel and/or promotional materials to assistant@katelumpkincasting.com with the subject CELEBRITY // SUBMISSION // [YOUR NAME].
April 16, 2019 - Open Call for Lead Vocalists
Sign-in 9:30 am (for a 10 am start)
April 17, 2019 - Callbacks by Invitation Only
Ripley-Grier Studios
17th floor
520 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
Seeking: Union & Non-Union performers. MUST BE 18+ TO AUDITION.
LEAD VOCALISTS: Early 20’s-Late 30’s. Seeking all powerhouse vocalists, must have strong bodies with great stamina. Styles to include contemporary pop/rock, R&B and contemporary musical theater; especially seeking women with a strong mix/belt to F5 and legit to C6, baritenors to G4 and tenors to B4 with strong falsetto extension. Rap a plus. MUST MOVE CONFIDENTLY.
WHAT TO BRING: Please bring a stapled headshot and resume to the audition. Vocalists should bring their best 16 bars (preferably pop/rock) and have their repertoire books ready if asked. An accompanist will be provided at the auditions and sheet music in the proper key is required.
For more information, please visit www.celebritycruisesentertainment.com.

My D would love this @EastchesterMom - just need to wait a few more years :wink:

Ahem, @JavaJo - why? Famous dropouts include Sutton Foster, Josh Groban and, from our own CAP21, Matthew Morrison and Lady Gaga. I have a friend whose kid dropped out of BoCo after getting a national tour during freshman year; the kid has worked constantly ever since. The point of all this is to work…if it comes sooner rather than later, I say, go for it! Your D has nothing to lose, and, at the very very least, will gain experience in auditioning in the real world.

@EastchesterMom - true… ??

Well, it took a bit of time, but my D finally received her financial awards. And it’s great news! Four awards that now make this program financially feasible for us. We are thrilled! We will be visiting during our upcoming Spring Break ?

Congrats, @2019wolves !!!

Congrats @2019wolves! Excited for your D.