BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

@llamamamma - congrats and welcome!

@llamamamma congrats! Happy about another west coaster headed that way. Did you see that the new student orientation is in early July? I assume they donā€™t move in until late August, so this seems like a reflection of historically being a commuter school and not quite having figured out how things work for people moving across the country. Okay, I have an account but havenā€™t ever interacted much with Instagram, so heading over to figure out how to find this story.

@tatteredandfriendly - Molloy doesnā€™t start until after Labor Day, and move in is Labor Day weekend. So still a little time between New Student Orientation and start of the fall semester;)

@tatteredandfriendly and @llamamamma - re Orentiation, a lot of schools do it this way; itā€™s not a reflection on Molloyā€™s history as a commuter school. I highly suggest that your kiddo attend Orientation.

Also, @tatteredandfriendly - on Instagram if you search for MolloyCollege and then click on their ā€œprofile picā€ that should play their story :wink:

@EastchesterMom Why do you highly recommend it? I ask because this means flying across the country just for orientation - many hundreds of dollars (plus the $150 for orientation, which also surprised me). So Iā€™d love your input as to what makes this vital as itā€™s no small thing for our family.
I donā€™t know about all colleges, but other kids Iā€™ve seen go off to college have had orientation the same week as they move in, which makes far more sense - this seems like an unnecessary hardship for families who donā€™t live close by.

@tatteredandfriendly - see post #676 (page 46 of thread) for @speezagmomā€™s review of last yearā€™s orientation. If I remember correctly, a few others chimed in, too. My Dā€™s orientation was a few days before classes began, and it was a disaster (donā€™t forget, we were the guinea pigs).

@tatteredandfriendly - as the post #676 indicated, I think the main plus of going to orientation is that your S will have an opportunity to get to know his classmates. Some of them even end up requesting roommates based on who they meet at orientation. They also do theory and piano placements at orientation (at least they did in 2017 when my D went, which of course they can make up at the start of school if they canā€™t make it but it is nice to get it out of the way. I enjoyed the parent orientation as well but would say that is not mandatory if you want to just send your S and not have the extra cost for the parent orientation.

@EastchesterMom - I think you are viewing a different story than the one speezagmom referenced. The one she is talking about is the main Insta story for Molloy College (so click the MolloyCollege profile pic, not one of the sub stories on their page). This girl is definitely a junior, blonde hair, and I think her name is Cameron?? Her portion of the Instastory takeover happens about halfway through the story. :wink:

@tatteredandfriendly - I think thereā€™s a lot of great information shared at new student orientation, however if itā€™s going to be a financial hardship it will not be the end of the world if you canā€™t make it, especially if youā€™ve already toured the campus and Manhattan studios! I know last year there were several other students who werenā€™t able to attend new student orientation and it was okay :wink:

Thank you all! Just read the orientation post - lots of good info. Iā€™d love for my S to be able to go, but weā€™ll see. Itā€™s a stretch for sure.

@JavaJo - guess what, thereā€™s another one! They are both adorable, and great advertising for the program!

@EastchesterMom - I saw that one too! Agree, both great stories!! :slight_smile: Just wanted to make sure you saw the other one too :wink:

Today is a happy day in our home! D was accepted off of the waitlist!! She called me crying as she is so happy! We have to wait and see if/how much aid will be offered (sometime next week), but as long as we can financially swing it, she will be attending Molloy/CAP21 next year. :slight_smile:

@MToverload congratulations!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

So much good news today, Congrats @MToverload !

@MToverload Congratulations!!! Same thing happened to my D. Tears of joy. Hoping the financials work out. We are scheduling a visit tonight but sheā€™s going to have to go on the 29th because of dance recital/musical rehearsals. Nothing like cutting it close!

OHHHH @MToverload and @MTSongbirdMom I am so happy for you and your daughters!!! YAY!!! Crossing fingers and saying prayers that the financials come through!! Congratulations!!!

Woohoo @MTSongbirdMom Congrats! I donā€™t remember if you said where you were coming from but since you are visiting on the 29th, just wanted to let you know the Sophomores have their composer project performances on the 28th if you wanted to try and see it.

Thanks everyone! @MTSongbirdMom Iā€™m so happy that your daughter was accepted as well! D visited CAP21 but not the Molloy campusā€¦there just wasnā€™t time during her Spring Break while visiting a few schools. Just so happy, and I really appreciate all of the information about the school, program, etcā€¦ on the thread. Thank you so much to those of you with kids in the program for sharing.

A great story on the Molloy College Instagram. Jr Cap student takes over and goes through a day as a CAP student. She did a great job.